***Very OT*** CHRISTMAS ***OT***

Old December 5th 05, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default ***Very OT*** CHRISTMAS ***OT***

Last year, Governor Ahhhhnold announced that HE grew up calling this
thing a Christmas tree, and he's going to call the thing on the Capitol
lawn a Christmas tree. No one will argue with The Terminator.

And, by golly, the world did not end when he said so.

Then again, we've had a very large menorah on the Capitol steps for
years with a big ceremony to light it, so it's obvious that we're not
endorsing a single state religion.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: Rosebud (my own design), July birthstone,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 5th 05, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Why should those who are not
Christian have to sing Christian songs at school?

For the same reason that Miss Alcee made those of us who were not French
sing French songs -- to learn to appreciate another culture.

Old December 5th 05, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Why should those who are not
Christian have to sing Christian songs at school?

In the dim and distant past when I was at school, children of different
faiths were excused morning assembly (when the hymns and prayers were held).
Nowadays, I understand that they don`t even HAVE it!

Pat P

Old December 5th 05, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Why should those who are not
Christian have to sing Christian songs at school?

Well, for one thing, christian music - for western ears - is some of the
most glorious songs/music ever written, especially during the baroque
period. But even the more modern Brahms. Or the medieval period. I tend
to look at these songs more for the "music" than the actual words (often
in German or Latin). In fact, I loved it when I had to learn the
foreign words, because then I could pretend I wasn't singing about
whatever it is that christians sing about. huge grin

As long as it is interspersed with other works, I see no problem. In
fact, I was dismayed by our local school's rather bland Christmas
program a few years ago. No "meaty" music at all. And certainly not a
variety of sounds/songs. To forsake all christian music is rather a
silly notion. I'd just like to see other types incorporated.

One of my favorites is "There's No Place Like Home". (No, I don't
classify that as necessarily "other", it's just one of my personal
favorites of the season).

Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old December 5th 05, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Why should those who are not
Christian have to sing Christian songs at school?

In the dim and distant past when I was at school, children of different
faiths were excused morning assembly (when the hymns and prayers were held).
Nowadays, I understand that they don`t even HAVE it!

Pat P

I remember I always wished I was a Catholic! I would go running to get
to school before the doors to Assembly were closed ( I still hate to get
up early). The Catholic kids got to wait outside until prayers and the
reading was over, and then go in for the mundane daily stuff!

gillian
Old December 5th 05, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Gill Murray wrote:

In the dim and distant past when I was at school, children of
different faiths were excused morning assembly (when the hymns and
prayers were held). Nowadays, I understand that they don`t even HAVE it!

Pat P

I remember I always wished I was a Catholic! I would go running to get
to school before the doors to Assembly were closed ( I still hate to get
up early). The Catholic kids got to wait outside until prayers and the
reading was over, and then go in for the mundane daily stuff!

gillian

Bad form to add to my own post, but I forgot to tell Pat that I actually
found my school Hymnal the other day, with the school crest on the front!

Gillian
Old December 5th 05, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Pat P wrote:

We are even more apalled over here, as we no longer have "Christmas" lights

Speaking of lights, someone synchronized their Christmas house lights
to music. It's really something to see! I can't find a proper link
so, if anyone would like me to send them the file, just email me (my
address isn't munged) and put "Christmas light show" in the subj. and
I'll happily forward it.

Joan

Old December 5th 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

And if they don't have tasty little chocolates behind each door, they
aren't worth buying!

Susan Hartman wrote:
Well, actually, she was close...it IS because Christmas is on a Sunday
this year. This year is the longest possible Advent.

And when you think of Advent calendars, the ones you buy generally start
on December 1st and count down until the 25th. Even the ones in church
stores! They're not liturgically accurate most of the time.

--
Brenda
Seller of Advent calendars with chocolates back in high school German