Oval tablecloth--need help

Old August 22nd 04, 03:38 PM
JG

Default Oval tablecloth--need help

Ok, after some very helpful suggestions, I have *roughly* sketched what I
think I want to make. You can see it in my New Tablecloth album, URL below.
The Star & Crescent pattern can be seen at
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/Sta...centBlock.html *Any* helpful
hints/suggestions/observations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how do I go about making such a large oval? The table is ~48"x72". I
would use the old tablecloth as a template, but it is very warped and not
even close to being an oval anymore.

TIA!
--
Ginger (in Texas)
http://photos.yahoo.com/gingerbread1958

Old August 22nd 04, 07:46 PM
Roberta Zollner

Pretty!
I'd probably fold the old cloth into quarters and lay it on a piece of paper
big enough to cover. The edges won't match, but it should be possible to
draw a sort of average curve. Check this on your table -you can section the
table into fourths with masking tape if you really want to see it. Make sure
your paper pattern has the right amount of drop and that it hangs evenly.
Alternatively, put your big piece of paper on the sectioned table, pencil
where the rim of the table lies, then add the desired drop and connect the
dots.
Were you planning to piece the design elements, or appliqué them onto a
whole cloth?
Roberta in D

. ..

Old August 22nd 04, 08:33 PM
Kathy in CA

That's going to be gorgeous when you get it done! Another option: you could
buy an inexpensive oval table cloth the appropriate size and use that as
your pattern shape. As for the pattern, it shouldn't be too hard to enlarge
the template for the larger center motif
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

. ..

Old August 23rd 04, 02:13 PM
JG

Great idea, Roberta! Thanks! I'll try folding it into quarters--the old
"divide & conquer" trick. Why didn't I think of that? smacks self on
foreheadG I plan to machine applique the design elements onto whole
cloth. I think it will lay flatter that way. I plan to use iron-on adhesive
to keep everything in position til all sewn down. That is, unless someone
has a better idea.
--

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Pretty!
I'd probably fold the old cloth into quarters and lay it on a piece of

paper
big enough to cover. The edges won't match, but it should be possible to
draw a sort of average curve. Check this on your table -you can section

the
table into fourths with masking tape if you really want to see it. Make

sure
your paper pattern has the right amount of drop and that it hangs evenly.
Alternatively, put your big piece of paper on the sectioned table, pencil
where the rim of the table lies, then add the desired drop and connect the
dots.
Were you planning to piece the design elements, or appliqué them onto a
whole cloth?
Roberta in D

. ..

Old August 23rd 04, 02:23 PM
JG

Thanks, Kathy, I sure hope so. I figured the center pattern could be
elongated fairly easily. If I cannot draw it, I will scan it, then stretch
it to appropriate proportions with my photo touch-up program. If I'm unable
to get a nice large oval by using Roberta's idea about folding the old
tablecloth into quarters, I will see if I can buy a cheap one to use as a
pattern. Thanks for the suggestion!
--

"Kathy in CA" wrote in message
That's going to be gorgeous when you get it done! Another option: you

could
buy an inexpensive oval table cloth the appropriate size and use that as
your pattern shape. As for the pattern, it shouldn't be too hard to

enlarge
the template for the larger center motif
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:
http://community.webshots.com/user/kathys1068

. ..

Old August 23rd 04, 05:47 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Got a compass? A protractor? A string wrapped around a pencil?
You can take a square or rectangle of fabric
(or on paper to draw your pattern) then add a 1/2 circle to opposite ends
of that square or rectangle, to make an accurate oval. Costs nothing
extra to use a little geometry to figure it out. g
You can also get some wide butcher paper (just smile at the nice
person behind the butcher counter and you can get the paper for free)
and fold it in half and center your pattern on there.
If you do use an inexpensive tablecloth to figure out your masterpiece,
get a light-colored cloth and a blue wash-out fabric marking pen.
Experiment, play, have a good time with this.
Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy
. ..

Old August 24th 04, 05:54 PM
JG

Compass & protractor? Aaaa! Yeh, I do, but was never very good with them.
G Geometry class. Sigh IRL is much better. Yeh, I think 1/2 circles on
the ends of the correct sized rectangle just might work. And, I already have
some butcher paper. I do plan to just have fun--if I didn't think it would
be fun, I would just *buy* a tablecloth instead of making one. Thanks for
your suggestions, Sandy!
--
Ginger (in Texas)
http://photos.yahoo.com/gingerbread1958

" Ellison" wrote in message
om...
Howdy!
Got a compass? A protractor? A string wrapped around a pencil?
You can take a square or rectangle of fabric
(or on paper to draw your pattern) then add a 1/2 circle to opposite ends
of that square or rectangle, to make an accurate oval. Costs nothing
extra to use a little geometry to figure it out. g
You can also get some wide butcher paper (just smile at the nice
person behind the butcher counter and you can get the paper for free)
and fold it in half and center your pattern on there.
If you do use an inexpensive tablecloth to figure out your masterpiece,
get a light-colored cloth and a blue wash-out fabric marking pen.
Experiment, play, have a good time with this.
Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy
. ..