Hurricane Charley

Old August 14th 04, 11:25 AM
Fred

Default Hurricane Charley

Passing on my thoughts and prayers to all our stitching friends in Florida.
Here is hoping that they all are safe and their property didn't get too
badly damaged.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof",
"Oriental Maiden".
W.I.L. - "Romantic Venice",
"Ocean Princess", "Southwest Charm",
"Rainbow Trail", "Indian Pottery", "One Earth",
"Spirit of the Full Moon"
and "+?", "+?", "+?".

Old August 14th 04, 12:38 PM
Gillian Murray

Thanks, on behalf of us in Florida, for all the thoughts and prayers. DH and
I returned from a two-month trip away on the Wednesday afternoon, and
scurried around getting ready for Charley. We also have the MIL living with
us, and three pets. Since it was supposed to be a Cat One storm, and heading
to the west of us, we decided to stay in the house.(Pets aren't allowed in
shelters, and MIL woldn't leave her cat). It is a manufactured ( but very
immobile) home, but was built just seven years ago to the post-Andrew specs.
Well, the direction of the storm changed, and it was heading our way, and by
then it was a Cat 4, and too late to move out..........Other than north and
south, Florida is a very narrow peninsula! By 7.30pm the eye was scheduled
to cross over our house, just east of Lakeland, and I was pretty antsy. By
some strange quirk, it veered to the east just beforehand, and we were safe!
The maximum wind gust that I measured was 54 mph, and we had 4 inches of
rain. The power wenr out about 8pm, but came back on sometime during the
night. We have very minor damage; part of the Motorhome Port has lost it's
awning, the TV antenna is down, But we are all well and fine!!

A quick report from Lakeland, FL on this calm Saturday morning!!

Gillian.

Old August 14th 04, 01:12 PM
Cheryl Isaak

HURRAH
If only everyone else was safe as well.

Cheryl

Old August 14th 04, 01:53 PM
Gillian Murray

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:38:30 GMT, "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

[...]

Sooo glad to hear you are okay, I was wondering all night. Now that
just leaves Lucille and I feel the change in direction was not to her
benefit, I shall feel better when she checks in.

Sheena

Lucille SHOULD have been OK, since she lives to the SouthEast of the storm.
Now, I don't know about Deb, who lives up nearer to Gainesville. However, I
don't think Charley made it that far north. It looks as if the Charleston
area of SC is being threatened; I hope not as there is a lot of low-lying
land in that area, which is very prone to flooding. We don't know what
happened in Punta Gorda yet, where the Hurricane came ashore. The TV is
talking of stacks of bodies being collected up in some of the older trailer
parks, but we won't know until someone can actually get in there, and find
out.

Combined to your experience with Juan, we had a very easy time of it! Say
hello to the rest of the gang for me, and I will try to get pictures sorted
out, when I have more time!

Gill

Old August 14th 04, 02:46 PM
Lucille

Hi All,
This is Lucille writing from absolutely untouched Port Saint Lucie, FL. We
didn't even have a particularly bad rain storm. I do know just how lucky
we are because from what I see on TV many others weren't as fortunate as we
were here.

Lot of the evacuees from the West Coast came here to get out of the way of
the storm so in one small way it worked out nicely for our economy, but what
an awful way to make money !!!

Thanks everyone for your concern.

Lucille

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:53:57 GMT, "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Glad to hear that, maybe she is out of power - she did say they lose
it very often at the slightest sniff of trouble, so here's hoping.

Everyone here is taking a real interest, nothing like going through
the storm yourself for making you aware of others now. I hope the
reports of Punta Gorda are inaccurate, one time you want the media to
be wrong.

I will send the pics to you once you are all settled down and back to
normal. That was quite the welcome home for you lol

Sheena

Old August 14th 04, 02:57 PM
Gillian Murray

Glad to hear you are safe and sound, Lucille. Some of us were fortunate! My
MIL is now brooding over what didn't happen........some people are never
happy! I told her to count her blessings, and stop worrying.

Gillian
Nr Lakeland.
"Lucille" wrote in message
Hi All,
This is Lucille writing from absolutely untouched Port Saint Lucie, FL.

We
didn't even have a particularly bad rain storm. I do know just how lucky
we are because from what I see on TV many others weren't as fortunate as

we
were here.

Lot of the evacuees from the West Coast came here to get out of the way of
the storm so in one small way it worked out nicely for our economy, but

what
an awful way to make money !!!

Thanks everyone for your concern.

Lucille

"Lucretia Borgia

Old August 14th 04, 03:32 PM
Lucille

Welcome home Gillian. Wasn't it nice of the weather service to put on such
a spectacular show to welcome you home?

I guess your MIL was disappointed to miss out on all the excitement. Maybe
if she didn't have some real special thing to brood about she would just
look until she finds something, and that something could very easily be you,
so I suppose you should count her dopiness as a good thing. LOL

I'm just now hoping that the numbers they're projecting for Punta Gorda are
exaggerated.

Lucille

hlink.net...

Old August 14th 04, 05:29 PM
Olwynmary

Glad to hear you are safe and sound, Lucille. Some of us were fortunate! My
MIL is now brooding over what didn't happen........some people are never happy!
I told her to count her blessings, and stop worrying.

I'm relieved to hear you are both safe. Gillian, one of my brothers used to
say of my mother "Oh, take no notice! She's only happy when she's miserable!".
Said brother died some years back, and mother is now plaguing the life out of
the staff at a retirement home in the north of
England.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old August 15th 04, 01:19 AM
Lucille

Oddly enough today we are having a booming, loud thunderstorm for the last
few hours here in Port Saint Lucie. Not too much rain and very little
lightning, but the loudest racket.

I sometimes wonder whether anyone can tell what weather will do.

Lucille

wrote:

Lucille SHOULD have been OK, since she lives to the SouthEast of the

storm.
Now, I don't know about Deb, who lives up nearer to Gainesville. However,

Actually, about 50 miles north of Gainesville. We were originally in
the direct projected path, until yesterday afternoon when it turned
into the Cat 4 and made the right turn. Other than losing some sleep
and worrying about my family in Orlando and my mother's house in Ft.
Myers (she is summering in Arkansas), we were fine here.

land in that area, which is very prone to flooding. We don't know what
happened in Punta Gorda yet, where the Hurricane came ashore. The TV is

The film coming out of Punta Gorda is bad, they are comparing it to
the devastation Andrew left in his wake.

--
Deb (to reply remove what is obvious in the address)

WIP: I have no idea right now sigh

Old August 15th 04, 01:37 AM
Pat EAXStitch

We`ve been seeing it on TV - glad yu`re safe, Gill, and I really hope that
the rest of our friends in that area are OK - it really looked horrendous.
Love and best wishes to all of you.

Pat P

ink.net...