Neph Sye

Old January 20th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

Default Neph Sye

I got some materials from someone, one of them being labelled neph sye. It
sure looks like Gerstley to me in color and feel. The bag is from Laguna.
My neph sye is and has been white. Has anyone ever gotten any that looks
like a ball clay or gerstley? Donna

Old January 21st 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

Yes I will definitely do that before going any further with it. Mostly I was
curious if it possibly could be some odd form of Neph Sye (a white/gray
material not buff brown as far as I know).

My last firing I did a canvas button test of all my materials. It was fun
to get that out of the kiln. In fact I liked it so much that I'm going to
do it again but the next time something a bit more fancy.

I would not use any new material without testing it but I won't even trust
this in a test glaze. I trust the unopened bags that have the labeling by
the manufacture but this made me realize I should not trust any self labeled
bag even if it did have something written a dozen times on the bag. I can't
imagine why the Laguna (Californa supply company) did not have the bag
labelled.

k...