Poll - quilting rooms

Old February 12th 05, 09:16 PM
Cina

Marlys wrote:

I think it is also neat that you have an outside door so that you can
sneak away to buy more fabric and no one will know. (Hee! Hee!)
I love it. (Although I hope it isn't a door to an upstairs balcony.)

In the summertime, sneaking away might work. Right now, I'd have to plow
through the waist-high snow on the deck to get out that door. (And nope,
it's not just a balcony... there's one on our bedroom, but this door
goes to our spiffy wrap-around deck. I still can't believe anyone would
sell this house, and that we got so lucky to find it!)

Cina
Old February 12th 05, 10:27 PM
frood

LOL! I keep telling my husband that if we didn't have that pesky bed in
bedroom, I'd have a lot more space for quilting! My kids are constantly
asking if their quilts are done yet. They seem to think that it takes just
minutes from the time you first pick out the fabric!

--
Wendy
"I could *so* save the world if somebody handed me superpowers." - Dawn

"Cina" wrote in message
Wendy wrote:

Nice space. I can think of plenty of times where not hearing shrieking
kids
would be an asset. G

Heh, I just tune em out. The other room would have worked, if it
wasn't also a guest bedroom... that bed took up a lot of space, plus
those pesky houseguests get annoyed when I'm trying to sew at midnight.
Of course, now the kids just hang over my shoulder wanting to know what
I'm making and if it's for them, and when can they learn to sew, mama?

Cina

Old February 13th 05, 02:43 AM
Donna A

Last year, one of my DGDs asked me for a quilt for her birthday. I told her
I wouldn't have time to make one by her birthday. She said, "But, Grandma
it's two weeks until my birthday!" I ended up giving her a flannel yellow
brick road that I made that was shorter than I like. She loved it - so we
were both happy!
--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter

Old February 13th 05, 07:48 AM
Leigh Harris

I have just been setting up my own sewing room over the last couple of days
.. It is small - just 3.5m x 2.3m, plus a small built in robe sticking out
from that - but it's amazing what can be fitted in when you really try. I
have 1.8m of cupboards down one wall; in front of the window is a little
unit about 140cm W x 70cm H that has 32 little cupboards in it (DH rescued
it from work - it used to hold typewriter parts!); the ironing board sits on
top of that; then the next wall has a set of drawers 80cm W with a book
hutch on top and then my Horn sewing cabinet, complete with overlocker
shelf, always left open. There is an amazingly large (at least it seems so
after all the junk has been cleared) space in the middle as well.

At the moment it is rather stark as the cupboards are white and so are the
walls as I have yet to paint them. There is a scrap of very old carpet which
will be replaced with some laminated wood flooring. The only catch is that
cutting large pieces or actual machine quilting of anything bigger than a
wallhanging will still need to be done on the dining table, but that's the
only downside of my tiny room. At the moment, I'm still basking in the
delight of getting it set up and being able to pop in and do something when
I get a few minutes. I'll get some pictures on my website soon if anyone
really wants to have a look.

Love reading about, and seeing, all the other setups. Great question. Oh
yeah, definitely only quilt for pleasure. :-)

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

Old February 13th 05, 01:13 PM
Lee Kerrighan

In article ,
"frood" wrote:
.... Do you have a
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

Such a range of answers; this is an interesting thread. I have about 1/4
of our finished, carpeted (ugh) 'recreation room'. I do more garment
than quilty sewing so far, so the serger and a SM are up, the ironing
board is nearly always out. A wall unit holds books, notions and
supplies. I have my banquet/ cutting table in the furnace room, always
up, and set on gallon paint cans to raise it to a better height for
cutting, while still having it available at normal table height. On
that, I have the three-piece cutting mat, plus my older, smaller one, so
that the whole surface is covered. When I made the table, the lumber
yard cut the sheet of plywood to 3x8, and I took the 1x8 leftover piece
and scooped out the ends, sort of, with a coping saw so that the piece
fits on the legs as a shelf, presently holding a big box of patterns and
the scrap box. It isn't really pretty, but it works, and this *is* the
furnace room, after all. My stash is in the large storage room, garments
in progress hang on the rails in the bathroom. It's quite handy.
Lee
Old February 14th 05, 12:49 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sounds like a great trade off Marissa! BTW: those
A shaped thingies are called "saw horses" ...
doesn't translate well, eh?
PAT

DrQuilter wrote:

I used to. Then I had a baby. Baby got DH's computer room, DH got part
of my quilting room.... but it is a large rec room, so it is OK. He
could actually move to the guest room but it is comfortable as is. One
wall with shelves, another with a design wall, a sewing table, an old
cupboard for supplies, and a door on those A shaped thingies to cut on...

frood wrote:

I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It
has made me start thinking about how people set up their quilting
space. I'm wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their
use. Do you have a room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for
money? or just for pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my
bedroom.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

Old February 14th 05, 04:43 PM

I'll be sure to pack the photo of DH's serviceman's quilt, Pat. He also
made one for ABC Quilts, too. I think he's 'got it!' Happy Valentines
Day. Nancycog in MD

Old February 14th 05, 05:39 PM
Pat in Virginia

Cookies ... pack cookies!
PAT, looking forward to the show & seeing friends

Old February 14th 05, 11:00 PM

Oh, yes! Cookies. The delicious no-calorie kind. (Yeah, right!) 8^)
Nancycog in MD, Countess of Chocolate Chip Cookies

Piggie's Quilting Winter..... Listpig Quilting 9 October 1st 04 12:39 AM
beginning machine quilting Patti Quilting 10 August 22nd 04 12:33 AM
Help!! Hand Quilting P8nPal Quilting 6 July 19th 04 06:09 PM
In Today's News: Terrified Quilting Newbie breaks silence! Liz and Steve Ford Quilting 33 August 17th 03 04:51 AM
Quilting Thread question Carol Wolfe Quilting 9 July 15th 03 05:20 AM