Help with Picking a Brother machine

Old September 25th 03, 05:50 PM
Belindi

Default Help with Picking a Brother machine

I've got machines narrowed down (given price and function) to these:

Brother Computerized Sewing Machine, Model CS-8072 for $289
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90433%3A4770

Brother Sewing Machine, Model XL-6562 for $198 on clearance
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90433%3A4770

I'm looking for something for alterations, maybe kids crafts, and
don't know if I'll ever use it to sew clothes and doubt quilting is in
my future. I'm leaning towards the cheaper (XL-6562) one but Walmart
is the only distributor of the product and I can't find reviews. 4/5
reviews for the CS-8072 are favorable. It has a lot more stitches and
function, but I don't know if any are "necessary" for my life.

If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to email me
directly.

Thanks.

Belindi
Old September 25th 03, 08:43 PM
Pat

Get the better machine........you will find lots of things you can use the
"extras" on..............

om...

Old September 25th 03, 09:25 PM
Ron Anderson

Forget both of them. Check your local sewing machine shops for good used
machines in your price range. you will get more machine and at least some
quality, those brother machines should be outlawed.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
om...

Old September 26th 03, 09:49 AM

I have bought new machines in that price range and been sorely
disappointed. Is there any way that you can find a used machine in good
condition from your newspaper classifieds or maybe a thrift store (I
find them there all the time -- gorgeous machines -- you have to test
them first to be sure they work, and any thrift store worth its salt
will let you)? That way you will only be out $5-50 and you will have a
machine that will last you for years.

The problem with the newer el cheapo machines is that they don't hold
their tension, they don't stitch well, and they are not built to be
durable machines.

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area I have a few rescues who would
be happy to go to a new home for the price I paid for them.

Melinda, who dumped her newer machines in favor of 60s and 70s vintage
machines

Belindi wrote:
I've got machines narrowed down (given price and function) to these:

Brother Computerized Sewing Machine, Model CS-8072 for $289
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90433%3A4770

Brother Sewing Machine, Model XL-6562 for $198 on clearance
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90433%3A4770

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old September 26th 03, 07:45 PM
Belindi

Thanks all. The problem is that I know nothing about machines
generally and the sewing instructor I worked with insisted on new
machines and Bernina came highly recommended (and $1500 no wonder).
So if I tested a used machine, I'd have no idea if it was doing what
it was supposed to be doing.

I think I'm going to gamble w/ the "should be outlawed" Brother and if
it can't handle my kids hemming needs, then I'll ship it back to
Walmart. Thanks for letting me know what to watch out for.

Belindi

"Mike Behrent" wrote in message ...
Always better to get more than you think you'll need. Can save alot of money
in upgrading

om...

Old September 29th 03, 09:34 PM
Byron Kindig

I got a Brother from Walmart a couple of years ago for Christmas. It is now
worn out because the gears are plastic. My deceased mother's old machine
from 1953 (a Singer) still runs great (like a sewing machine) because it has
all metal gears. I agree with the person who recommended a used older
machine with metal gears. It will outlast any of the new machines with
plastic gears, if it is in good condition. Check E-Bay and at your local
Sewing machine repair shops.
Byron
om...

Old September 30th 03, 10:52 PM
joy beeson

On 26 Sep 2003 11:45:46 -0700,
(Belindi) wrote:

So if I tested a used machine, I'd have no idea if it was doing what
it was supposed to be doing.

If it's from 1960 or earlier and still sews when you turn
the handwheel, you've got a good one. You should also plug
it in and make sure the motor runs and the controller works.
But if the motor is bolted onto the back, odds are that you
can buy a new one pretty cheap. (A fitted-in motor that has
to have been made for that specific model can be expensive
or unobtainable.)

A thrift-shop machine is probably full of dirt and ossified
oil, unless the previous owner dropped dead while still
using it. If you didn't get the machine from someone who
repairs machines, take it to a mechanic and have it cleaned
and oiled, and have the mechanic show you where all the oil
holes are and tell you how often to drip in how much oil.

It's hard to abuse a good, practical sewing machine to the
point where a cleaning and oiling won't fix it right up. A
modern expensive-toy sewing machine can go wrong without you
even look at it cross-eyed, unless it's a REALLY-expensive
toy. Or an industrial machine.

All you absolutely have to have is a good straight stitch.
I use my zig-zag a lot, but I've forgotten how to turn on my
fancy stitches. (I looked it up a few years ago to make a
fringe on a tablecloth.)

A free arm is really, really nice if you make garments,
particularly children's garments.

I've probably got a much longer rant posted at
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ROUGHSEW/ROUGH.HTM

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old October 3rd 03, 07:57 PM
Wandalala

Hi Melinda, I live in the Bay Area and am looking for a serger, used is fine
with me. Do you know where I can get a good used serger, for a good price?

Wanda

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Belindi wrote:
I've got machines narrowed down (given price and function) to these:

Brother Computerized Sewing Machine, Model CS-8072 for $289

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...cat=4770&type=
1&dept=4044&path=0%3A4044%3A4064%3A90433%3A4770

Brother Sewing Machine, Model XL-6562 for $198 on clearance

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...cat=4770&type=
1&dept=4044&path=0%3A4044%3A4064%3A90433%3A4770

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

---

FAQs for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 7 October 4th 04 02:16 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 September 1st 04 02:30 PM
Brother sewing machine? AlenasMom Quilting 6 October 18th 03 08:09 PM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM
Picking out machine embroidery? Cheryl Isaak Needlework 4 October 1st 03 04:16 PM