Sterling or Fine Silver?

Old January 13th 04, 03:49 AM
Jenny

Default Sterling or Fine Silver?

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between sterling silver &
fine silver?
I have a bunch of sheet & wire that's pretty old, with fine & sterling
silver mixed.
Is there a heating/color change/soldering type trick to tell which is
which?
Much Thanks!
Old January 13th 04, 08:39 AM
Don T

If you heat it in an oxidizing atmosphere the Copper in the Sterling will
oxidize and turn black. If you then dunk the heated section into a pickle
soln. it will brighten back up. If you heat Fine Silver it doesn't blacken
at the lower temperature required for Sterling's Copper to oxidize.

--
Don Thompson

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before
them, glory and danger alike, and notwithstanding go out to meet it."-
Thucydides

"Men are never really willing to die except for the sake of Freedom:
Therefore they do not believe in dying completely."-
Albert Camus

Old January 13th 04, 08:39 AM
Heinrich Butschal

Jenny wrote:
Does anyone know how to tell the difference between sterling silver &
fine silver?
I have a bunch of sheet & wire that's pretty old, with fine & sterling
silver mixed.
Is there a heating/color change/soldering type trick to tell which is
which?
Much Thanks!

The melting temperature of fine silver is higher and when it´s molten the
cohesion ist also higher.

Sterling silver stays a little bit harder alfter they were both glued.

--
Heinrich Butschal
casting technologies

Sterling Silver Bead Sonia Beads 1 March 22nd 04 10:18 PM
silverplated and sterling silver Audrey Beads 2 March 22nd 04 04:30 PM
Fine Silver Wi Anyone want to sell me some? Tinkster Beads 5 March 19th 04 02:00 AM
Makers mark - Sterling silver Dave Ryman Jewelry 1 October 20th 03 04:15 PM
Help! I ruined my sterling silver letter beads in jewelry cleaner! Julie Minkin Beads 3 August 4th 03 07:29 PM