The Hearing Is Over

Old August 7th 03, 04:33 AM
rainbow

Default The Hearing Is Over

Well, it was horrible. After almost being late, due to a bus that was
late, we got there. I was a wreck till I found my voice ! The new owner
was there and instead of bringing his horrible girlfriend, he brought
his mom, who was not allowed to testify to anything. She had to wait in
another room. I won a $5 bet that he would bring her. He is just a
little mama's boy. He lied like the lying dog he is !!!
Actually, when he started to lie, my head started to involuntarily shake
"no". I know the referee saw it, because she asked me to stop ! I
couldn't help it and couldn't stop laffing, inside. Sunny my sister said
my jugular vein was popping out lke 3 inches ! The lie he told was so
whopping big, and I was allowed to reply. The moment he lied it broke
his scary hold on me and I got my wind. I am floored that he would go
that far. In the 2 letters I had to write, I have the story exactly the
same. It ended with him producing my last paycheck that he had held.
When it came time for Sunny to go in, he changed his story an more or
less told the truth, About 90%. The only thing that was really negative
is that we did not leave that job, with another job already, that we had
not procure work before leaving, and we did not try to mediate to
improve our original work place. We didn't complain enough !!!??? But it
got brought out that everyone was family and to tell the total truth,
we'd have had to hurt all the family members.Which I gather has happened
anyway. I was asked if it had been made better, would I have stayed and
I said no, as I had become a problem. It was also said that I had stayed
for 9 years, so why couldn't I have stayed longer. Why leave now
? And we talked about how this place had changed.
The referee was a princess ! Made it easy and was so fair .... but they
had a 3rd party mediator on a speaker phone from the off site mgmt co.
and she was totally up on unemployment law. We could still lose based on
what she has said. She was right, as I have read the law also, that this
did not do any serious harm to us physically, and we left with out jobs
and notice given. It was't in their opinion, a strong enough reason to
leave. However, the referee reviewing the tapes, is surely going to see
the flip flop he did from my case to hers. It was almost funny enough to
laugh at. He raised his hand. swore on the Bible and purjured himself. I
got a chance to give my account of what had happened, so that is that.
The best part was that we were heard back to back and the referee heard
both our stories in the same breath. That surely will count for
something. The decision could go my way because he lied, and I told the
truth. I am thinking that if he lied once under oath, that the referee
will look at his statements as maybe not all the way true.
I am so glad this is over. Even if we lose, we still win because we
stood very upright and said the truth and he lied. Even if only me and
the referee know. When he came out of the office between my hearing and
my sister's, his mother was waiting in the foyer, and I heard him lie to
her !!!! He may have not told her the whole story to begin with. He and
she were very grey in the face and scary looking, and extremely angry
.... gee, I guess I will never get a job reference, huh ? Giggle ! It
keeps us still in a muddle, in a way, but I can go to sleep tonight
knowing I did not have to stoop to his level.
Thanks to you all for the good vibes and support. We will know in ten
days if we get the cash we are due.
Rainbow

Old August 7th 03, 06:18 AM
Sjpolyclay

. Even if we lose, we still win because we
stood very upright and said the truth and he lied. Even if only me and
the referee know.

There you go, Rainbow. Thats a good thing, no matter what else.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 7th 03, 08:08 PM
Deirdre S.

I hope you get more of what you need than just the satisfaction of
knowing this... but I agree that this alone is worth doing what you
did.

Congratulations, and good luck on the final outcome.

Deirdre

Old August 7th 03, 11:13 PM
Marisa E Exter

Rainbow,

You've been working up to this for a long time. I'm so glad you got through it
so well and were able to say your piece as you wanted to!

There are a million legal ways they could push back on you about the specific
items that you want. I'm glad you can feel good just knowing that the referee
believed you.

Even if you don't get the money, is there a way to ensure he doesn't give you
bad recommendations in the future?

It seems to me that whenever I fill out a form for a credit report (either for a
job or for an appartment) I have had to fill in which employers and
bank-accounts I have. I've never tried not filling in an employer, but for some
of the appartment ones I didn't fill in a bank account and it didn't show up on
the final report. Can you just not tell future employers about this job and not
fill it in anywhere? ... I guess that could be hard if you worked for him for 9
years, but better then having them contact him and him lying to them.
It is pretty normal to leave off unrelated employment on a resume, I think.
(Sorry, I know that was kind of unrelated to your current posting, but I was
thinking of it the last time you mentioned this in a thread and then I couldn't
find your posting again )

marisa2
Old August 8th 03, 02:23 AM
rainbow

He's already been a detriment to our current job search and is our sole
local reference for 9 years. Legally all he can say is yes, I was there,
and my rate of pay and dated of hire and fire. We would be delighted if
he spilled his guts to someone so we could sue him, LOL ! And we signed
a non-compete, under duress that has us out of the game in the only
field I have hard core job hunting ability. Last week I threatened to go
to work for this cool pedi-cab company, and that is a rickshaw bicycle
company the peddles tourists down the strip here in Vegas ... They don't
care about references, just strong legs and knowledge of the strip ! LOL
! We are working on how best to describe our situation to potential
employers, etc. He brought this on himself and tried to lie his way
around it and what the deal really is, is that he messed up his take
over of the company by acting like cock of the walk and strutting around
with his chest puffed out and like he was king. He is very immature and
he blew this, bad. What he is really trying to do is to save face with
his family and his mom. And it is rather shallow if him to push his
mishandling of the transition on to us. If unemployment looked at past
records to decide, hehas had 5 since he took over. That evidence is not
admissable at the hearing.
We fully realize that we were creating a problem by trying to end one,
but we were caught between a rock and a hard place. I had already signed
the non-compete, so I was kind of sunk and I knew job hunting was going
to be rough. How much damage he has done to our job search is unclear,
today, but tomorrow we are going to begin questioning folks about it.
Everyone's feelings got hurt here. This very small family place has been
blown apart because I didn't want to work there and in trying to explain
why and in having to do that I had to reveal family secrets told to me
by a family member who worked with us. He acted like a jerk and now this
is what we have to deal with. Did I mention he is on his 3rd wife ? Did
I mention that the second wife told me deep dark secrets I never needed
to know ? Did I mention that his aunt and 2nd wife had a hell of a time
collecting unemplyment ? Man o man do I want to talk to the 2nd wife !
He put her thru HELL over her unemployment and I actually heard him give
her a crappy referenceon the phone ! It's a
lot of stuff, dear ones, but I am working on it. I never expected for it
to go like this and it has ..... these people have portrayed themselves
as deeply religious and I don;t recall a religion based on selfishness,
lying, manipulation and being a control freak .
Rainbow

Old August 8th 03, 06:09 AM
rainbow

Actually, he has been telling people if they hired me he would sue them,
not me. And to tell you the truth. I am so done with these idiots, I
don't want them as a part of my life anymore. All we are doing is
extending what should already be finished. I am so sick of
over=discussing ever detail and all this is doing is keeping him in my
life. Along with all the family members. I went to about 15 or 20
dfferent lawyers and no one will give you a free consult on the matter
of a non compete agreement, The law in Nevada provides an employer can
write one that includes similar businesses as well as exactly the same
business. They can be broken, but most lawyers require money I do not
have. Several offered to look at the document for $100. Free legal aid
here does not handle them either. I've spent all the
time on him I want to. In the act of trying to dump him I have made it
possible for him to have more acess to my private life than I allow most
friends and family.
Rainbow

Old August 8th 03, 06:34 AM
Carol in SLC

Actually, he has been telling people if they hired me he would sue them, not
me.

Now that's just plain weird! After all, the company that might hire you didn't
sign any contract with him!! And really, at this point I don't think you're
expected to use him as a reference anyway. Just explain to a prospective
employer that the company you worked for over the last nine years underwent a
transformation and change in management, you found the new arrangement
untenable, and you left. BTW, I think if you told a prospective employer
exactly *how* the job and clients changed and that you didn't feel comfortable
working for the *new* company, most people wouldn't hold your leaving against
you.

Carol in SLC
My new stuff: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/emma.jpg