stolen quilts - how frequent

Old July 18th 18, 12:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default stolen quilts - how frequent

How do you insure a quilt? My insurance company will not give me special coverage on quilts that I would like to show at fairs. They said in the event of fire or theft from my home, they will only cover the cost of the material in the quilt. There has to be a way to insure a quilt properly.
Old August 22nd 18, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:12:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
How do you insure a quilt? My insurance company will not give me special coverage on quilts that I would like to show at fairs. They said in the event of fire or theft from my home, they will only cover the cost of the material in the quilt. There has to be a way to insure a quilt properly.

Insurance companies are *insert many bad words here*.

If you are an artist or artisan of any sort they will not cover your work unless you sell it. Period.

The way it works is if I sew someone a dress and they have paid me and taken possession of it, they can insure it for as much as they paid me for it.
If it is stolen or destroyed before they have taken possession of it and I have given them their receipt, then insurance will only cover it up to cost of materials. Same with quilts, paintings, dining room tables, or any such thing made by hand. You can take your hand made goods to shows and win awards including cash prizes, receive multiple offers for purchase at high prices, even have them appraised at a high value worth, and if they are stolen or destroyed so far as the insurance companies are concerned they are worth cost of materials if you still own them.

If Michaelangelo were alive today, sculpted the Pieta, and it was destroyed before he sold it, insurance would pay him for a block of marble.

NightMist
Old August 23rd 18, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathyl

I think you would need a certified appraisal on the quilt in order to have it insured for more than just the cost of the materials.
Old August 24th 18, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 12:02:42 AM UTC-4, Kathyl wrote:
I think you would need a certified appraisal on the quilt in order to have it insured for more than just the cost of the materials.

OK, I have spent a couple of days searching online, and put in a call to my own insurance agent, to see if things have changed at all with insurance.

Basically no.

If you have a business license you can get business insurance that will cover what you make.
My agent told me that if I sell something and it and it's provenance make it's way back to me it can be insured for it's last recorded value under my current policy.

I am sure that some place out there there may be some insurance company that will accept an appraisal on something you yourself made as actual value. However I have not found any such yet. A sales history is one thing, that proves that it can be sold for a value, an appraisal is just a guess with no proof that the thing can ever be sold. My agent did note that an appraisal would likely have more value in getting something insured if you have receipts for sales of similar items you have made at similar value. If you often sell such things however, specialty insurance would be more certain.
Basically if you are not in business what you make has no value above cost of materials so far as most insurance companies are concerned. If you are in business you need records of what you sell stuff for so they can get a handle on what what you make is worth.
These companies are in a money business. So if you cannot demonstrate your work to them in terms of money, they figure it has no value. What you paid out in money is what you get back in case of disaster.

NightMist

Stolen quilts alert! barnyowl[_2_] Quilting 2 March 19th 12 01:56 AM
Stolen Quilts Recovered Keith.m Quilting 11 June 28th 08 06:39 AM
My name has been stolen! Sunny Sewing 7 September 16th 06 07:29 PM
FFS--Frequent frogging syndrome Madelaine Yarn 2 August 22nd 03 03:02 PM
FRequent posters? zo Quilting 19 August 22nd 03 12:43 AM