how do I begin?

Old March 26th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default how do I begin?

Dear all!

i am a deep lover of ceramics but know not where to start!

What do you suggest are the top 5 first things to do to get to know
this art at a beginner's level?

Thanks!

julie

Old March 26th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all!

i am a deep lover of ceramics but know not where to start!

What do you suggest are the top 5 first things to do to get to know
this art at a beginner's level?

1 - Find a good teacher. Check your local community college and maybe, if
you're in the right city, the local city arts department.

2 - Patience. That's a huge thing to learn.

3 - Wedging.

4 - technique - don't do anything sloppily. Take your time, and be willing,
should you decide to throw, to cut your first 30 or so pots down from the
top so that you can see where any problems lie.

5 - repetition - the more you do the same technique, and the more often, the
faster you'll get better at it.

But really, #1 and 2 are the most important, in my opinion.

Old March 26th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

"Scoop" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all!

i am a deep lover of ceramics but know not where to start!

What do you suggest are the top 5 first things to do to get to know
this art at a beginner's level?

1 - Find a good teacher. Check your local community college and maybe, if
you're in the right city, the local city arts department.

2 - Patience. That's a huge thing to learn.

3 - Wedging.

4 - technique - don't do anything sloppily. Take your time, and be
willing, should you decide to throw, to cut your first 30 or so pots down
from the top so that you can see where any problems lie.

5 - repetition - the more you do the same technique, and the more often,
the faster you'll get better at it.

But really, #1 and 2 are the most important, in my opinion.

Scoop has it sussed. Find classes, IMO pottery is not something you can
learn from a book, you need a teacher/tutor with experience.
Yup patience too is a must.
However you do have the most important thing you love ceramics/pottery and
once you enjoy the thrill of making stuff for yourself you will be even more
hooked. Good luck.

Old March 27th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Practice, practice, practice - and learn how to relax. If you lose a piece,
it is no biggy. It wedges back up and can be thrown or used again
(coil,slab,etc.). There are dozens of different processes in pottery.
Learn and enjoy as many as you feasibly can. If the throwing isn't working
so well today, do recycling / read about glaze formulation / try making some
tools / or whatever else might fit the moment. In other words, learn how to
shift gears but be sure to invest some time in the craft in one fashion or
another every day that you can.

Others have already recommended taking a class or finding a teacher. That
will make life easier and I imagine you already have or you wouldn't know
that you have a love of the craft. The only thing I would add to that is if
you have a teacher that claims there is only one right way to throw, wedge,
glaze, etc - find someone else to work with because they are telling you a
falsehood.

And Welcome to the Joy! Donna

Old March 27th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

I started with a class and haven't looked back since.

I have many many books - all which describe how to throw, but they don't
beat watching the 'real-thing'....You need to get the 'hands-on' approach to
really grasp it - books afterwards are great for reference and ideas. Above
all you'll learn so much from this chat group - the ppl here are so helpful.

Enjoy and have fun - it's great therapy and a fantastic de-stresser.

JM

Old March 27th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

J M wrote:
I started with a class and haven't looked back since.

I have many many books - all which describe how to throw, but they don't
beat watching the 'real-thing'....You need to get the 'hands-on' approach to
really grasp it - books afterwards are great for reference and ideas. Above
all you'll learn so much from this chat group - the ppl here are so helpful.

Enjoy and have fun - it's great therapy and a fantastic de-stresser.

JM

Like everybody sez, find a class and use it.... you'll get access to
lots of clay, glazes, your firing will get done for you (usually) and
all you've got to do is concentrate on learning how to do it... Plus
you'll be surrounded by other people who may know more and may know less
but are there to discuss with...
Hugs
Eddie
Old March 27th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Eddie Daughton wrote:
J M wrote:
I started with a class and haven't looked back since.

I have many many books - all which describe how to throw, but they
don't beat watching the 'real-thing'....You need to get the 'hands-on'
approach to really grasp it - books afterwards are great for reference
and ideas. Above all you'll learn so much from this chat group - the
ppl here are so helpful.

Enjoy and have fun - it's great therapy and a fantastic de-stresser.

JM

Like everybody sez, find a class and use it.... you'll get access to
lots of clay, glazes, your firing will get done for you (usually) and
all you've got to do is concentrate on learning how to do it... Plus
you'll be surrounded by other people who may know more and may know less
but are there to discuss with...
Hugs
Eddie

And give you interesting ideas to do with the weird shapes as well....
and cause other interesting ideas to make weird shapes on purpose.

.... Bruce (took my first class in January. I'm hooked..)
Old March 28th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

1) My very first (and I admit, my favorite) pottery teacher always
stressed that we "don't get attached to the results." It is important,
early on and forever, to realize that not all of your pots will make
it. Some will be dropped and misshappen when they are still wet, some
will get bumped and cracked when bone dry, some will break in the first
firing, some glazes will crawl, or not be the color you wanted, or not
fit the clay and crack. (I could go on, but this is getting
depressing!)

So just remember, in the begining it is more important to learn the
craftsmanship well, than to produce lots of work.

2) Think in terms of the physical properties and limitations of clay
as a material. Let the clay teach you about these limitations. It is
all about learning that perfect balance between strength and gentleness
of your touch. Learn how to work with these limitations, and don't
fight them (unless you get real brave down the road )

3) Look at as many pots as possible. Go to your local library and see
if they have back issues of ceramics monthly. Search for pots online.
This will keep you motivated as well as exposing you to the vast array
of techniques and possibilities.

Three things that haven't been mentioned already are all I can think
of. (Scoop is really right on)

The best of luck to you, and keep us updated on how you are doing!
Anna
www.freewebs.com/annaspots

Old March 31st 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Hi Julie,
Eddie's comments about joining a class are so right. Pottery is people!
It's a form of comunication like any art, and working with others fires
the imagination; you learn by their succeses and failures as they will
from yours and make some good friends doing so!
Andy

Old April 9th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Such generosity (:))

WOW! What a response, and how kind and cool you are with sharing your
advice and skills. (D)

I will be enrolling this week at the local college that holds ceramic
classes... YAY!

I must say I am very inspired by you and hugely excited about getting
started, learning about all these techniques and letting you know down
the line about my experiences and my own lessons!!!

Thanks again - I am very grateful...()