I want to learn to make my own clothes (in Seattle)

Old November 12th 04, 06:13 PM
Jacqueline Passey

Default I want to learn to make my own clothes (in Seattle)

Hi! I am completely frustrated by my inability to find clothes in the
color, style, fit, and durability that I want in the store, and have
decided to learn to make my own. Fortunately my favorite clothes that
I want to copy are all very simple -- 1 to 3 pieces of fabric, mostly
knits, with few or no buttons and no darts. So I think I can do it.
I've requested a bunch of books on sewing from the library, and am
investigating local classes, but I'd appreciate some advice from
experienced people.

Should I get a sewing machine or a serger? I've heard/read that the
latter is better for making clothes quickly. Do I need both or just
one? (I might be able to borrow a sewing machine from time to time,
so right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a serger.)

Of the various introductory sewing / clothes making books out there,
which do you think are the best for a total beginner? Will I be able
to copy my current garments, or is that too complex for a beginner?
(It seems simple... for example I have a grey knit dress that is only
three pieces of fabric sewn together, it seems like I should be able
to turn it inside out, trace it, add some fabric around the edges, and
sew it together. Is there much more to it than that?)

Can anyone in Seattle give specific recommendations about local
stores, classes, sewing groups, etc.?

What else should I know?

Thanks!!!

Jacqueline
Old November 12th 04, 07:46 PM
Kate Dicey

Jacqueline Passey wrote:
Hi! I am completely frustrated by my inability to find clothes in the
color, style, fit, and durability that I want in the store, and have
decided to learn to make my own. Fortunately my favorite clothes that
I want to copy are all very simple -- 1 to 3 pieces of fabric, mostly
knits, with few or no buttons and no darts. So I think I can do it.
I've requested a bunch of books on sewing from the library, and am
investigating local classes, but I'd appreciate some advice from
experienced people.

What an excellent idea - but be warned: knits are not the easiest
fabrics for a novice to tackle! Yes, they may need fewer pieces, but
they can be harder to fit and the stretch makes sewing them less easy.
Get a book specifically about sewing knits: the Stretch & sew guide is
excellent.

Should I get a sewing machine or a serger? I've heard/read that the
latter is better for making clothes quickly. Do I need both or just
one? (I might be able to borrow a sewing machine from time to time,
so right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a serger.)

You can sew seams very quickly on a serger, but a sewing machine is
better for almost everything else you will want to do, and it is
impossible to do some things with a serger (buttonholes, for example)
and very difficult to do others (like zips! No way can you do a nice
posh low visibility garment zip with a serger! High visibility bag and
fleece zips, yes, but not skirt and trouser zips).

As a professional sewer and teacher, I'd say get a sewing machine FIRST,
and then if you like the sewing, get a serger later when you know more
about garment construction. It is perfectly possible to get very good
results on knits with an ordinary machine.

Of the various introductory sewing / clothes making books out there,
which do you think are the best for a total beginner? Will I be able
to copy my current garments, or is that too complex for a beginner?
(It seems simple... for example I have a grey knit dress that is only
three pieces of fabric sewn together, it seems like I should be able
to turn it inside out, trace it, add some fabric around the edges, and
sew it together. Is there much more to it than that?)

Yes, quite a bit! You have the essentials, but it's learning about how
much to add where, and how to add for pleats, pockets, and other details
that you need to learn too...

You need some practice with other simple garments first, I think, and
you then need to learn to slip a pattern off a made garment. There are
a couple of good books on the Book List on my web site. The Kwick sew
and Stretch and Sew patterns will be a good place to start. Look at
some of the Singer books and the Sewing For dummies and Reader's Digest
ones too.

Can anyone in Seattle give specific recommendations about local
stores, classes, sewing groups, etc.?

Can't help you there! Seattle is a long way from Kent, UK!

What else should I know?

Too much to list here! Start by browsing through the Sewing room
sections on my website: there are some basic sewing lessons there, and a
useful glossary of sewing terms, plus a guide to taking measurements and
reading a commercial pattern.

Have fun!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 12th 04, 10:41 PM
Max Penn

The best all-around, not-too-expensive, basic sewing book I have ever used
is Simplicity's 'Simply the Best Sewing Book'. It has plastic comb binding,
which allows for hands-free reading: a very useful feature in any sort of
crafts 'how to' book. You'll find the sections that deal with fitting
women's clothes more useful than I did.

Reader's Digest publishes the (New) Complete Guide to Sewing. A
well-stocked used book dealer is likely to have a few of the older editions
in stock, if you don't mind the somewhat dated fashions. (Or buy the new
one and wait a few years and the fashions will look equally dated.)

There will be other responses here and I'm sure before this thread is over,
you'll have several responses to just about every part of your message.

Max

om...

Old November 13th 04, 04:35 AM
SewInSeattle

"Jacqueline Passey" wrote in message
om...
,,, Can anyone in Seattle give specific recommendations about local
stores, classes, sewing groups, etc.?

Try these:
http://www.pacificfabrics.com/class_home.asp

and
http://northwestsewing.com/classes-nseacommcollege.htm

Old November 13th 04, 04:40 AM
SewInSeattle

"Jacqueline Passey" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone in Seattle give specific recommendations about local
stores, classes, sewing groups, etc.?

I forgot to add that some of the JoAnn's Stores also have classes.

The Pacific Fabric stores have sewing machines for you to use in the
beginning sewing classes. It is useful to actually learn and use a machine
before buying one.

Also, other sewing machine stores offer classes, it is just that they do not
seem to have websites with the class schedule.

Old November 13th 04, 08:05 AM
Tom Farrell

(Jacqueline Passey) wrote:

Should I get a sewing machine or a serger? I've heard/read that the
latter is better for making clothes quickly. Do I need both or just
one? (I might be able to borrow a sewing machine from time to time,
so right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a serger.)

Please see The Sewing FAQ at:
http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/sewing
The short answer: A serger is very nice to have, a sewing machine is a
must-have. (One of my friends bought a serger thinking a sewing
machine wasn't necessary, and a month later he gave up and bought a
sewing machine.)

http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/books

Will I be able
to copy my current garments, or is that too complex for a beginner?

It's fairly easy. One or another book should explain how.

(It seems simple... for example I have a grey knit dress that is only
three pieces of fabric sewn together, it seems like I should be able
to turn it inside out, trace it, add some fabric around the edges, and
sew it together. Is there much more to it than that?)

No, other than that if you trace the edges of the existing cut pieces
and use the same seam allowance the manufacturer did, you don't need
to add any extra.

What else should I know?

I put it in The Sewing FAQ, for which the URL is above.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old November 13th 04, 11:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

I want to copy are all very simple -- 1 to 3 pieces of fabric, mostly
knits, with few or no buttons and no darts. So I think I can do it.
I've requested a bunch of books on sewing from the library, and am
investigating local classes, but I'd appreciate some advice from
experienced people.

Knits can be a bit tricky to work with. Stable interlocks generally
are easier than stretch knits for beginners, imho. One of the
interesting things about patterns is that "simple" patterns with
no darts, no closures -- things that really look simple -- can be
the hardest to fit because they need to fit well. Fru-fru can be
much easier, because the fitting problems get lost in all the details.
More pattern pieces, darts, etc, are also easier, because you
have more places to improve fit.

Because you're in Seattle, and because you're specifically interested
in knits, may I suggest for your first "big project" you try something
like a vest or "sweatshirt" type top in a good grade of Polarfleece?
Though it looks a little intimidating, it's actually quite easy to work
with and small problems like slightly wonky seams get lost in the pile.
Prints and textures also help hide minor sewing issues. I'd suggest
this as a possibility after you've done some basic sewing on wovens
(perhaps something like a canvas tote bag) and a small polarfleece project
like a hat.

Should I get a sewing machine or a serger? I've heard/read that the
latter is better for making clothes quickly. Do I need both or just
one? (I might be able to borrow a sewing machine from time to time,
so right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a serger.)

Sergers are really nice to have, especially when sewing knits. But they
won't help much when you're trying to do buttonholes and zippers. So I'd
say sewing machine first, serger second. But depending on your pocketbook
and your enthusiasm, you might consider buying used machines for now,
then upgrading when you need/want to. There are a lot of excellent
machines taken in on trade... I'd sooner see you with a used midrange or
used-to-be-nearly-top-of-the-line machine than a new, cheap machine. I think
you'll be less frustrated. If you know someone experienced in sewing,
bribing them into shopping with you may be useful.

Of the various introductory sewing / clothes making books out there,
which do you think are the best for a total beginner? Will I be able
to copy my current garments, or is that too complex for a beginner?
(It seems simple... for example I have a grey knit dress that is only
three pieces of fabric sewn together, it seems like I should be able
to turn it inside out, trace it, add some fabric around the edges, and
sew it together. Is there much more to it than that?)

There's a little more to knocking off a design than that... with knits,
especially, it's best to match the amount of stretch and the drape of the
knit. You might look at Besussen's Making Patterns from Finished Clothes
and Doyle's Patterns from Finished Clothes.

You might want to look at Kwik-Sew's patterns, especially the
"Learn to sew" series:
http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fusion/c...me.htm?H=North
and their sewing books, especially "easy sewing" -- this actually includes
the basic patterns for knits, which you can customize to suit.
http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fusion/c...okFrameset.cfm
Kwik-sew patterns are nicely drafted, and work quite well, even if the
illustrations are a bit... um... dorky. When they're made up, they're
great. (I'm not a particular fan of Butterick/McCalls/Simplicity/Vogue,
fwiw.)

Stretch and Sew is another company whose patterns I like; again, well-drafted,
and often quite suitable for further design extensions.
https://www.gmidesign.com/stretch/home.html -- take a look at #150 and #160,
for instance.

Burda is another pattern company I like.

Can anyone in Seattle give specific recommendations about local
stores, classes, sewing groups, etc.?

I believe North Seattle Community College offers beginning adult sewing.
Other than that (I'm down in the Portland area), the three education venues
I've heard about are advanced classes at Nancy's Sewing Basket, Judy Barlup,
and the fashion program at Seattle Central. You might want to look into
ASG: American Sewing Guild: http://www.asg.org/html/chapters.html#washington
I think you'll definitely want to come to the Puyallup Sew Expo: it's
the biggest in the US, and one of the most inexpensive sewing events. Put
your name on the list now for the class catalog that comes out at the first
of the year. http://www.sewexpo.com/

What else should I know?

Fitting is often the biggest challenge; some of the basic techniques
you should work with when you start fitting (imho) are learning to read
wrinkles on clothing, and flat pattern manipulation. For my $0.02,
the best fitting book is rather expensive, but worth every cent:
Leichty, Pottberg and Rasband's Fitting and Pattern Alteration:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/0870057758
It's not a beginners book, but it's much more complete, and it teaches
a lot of "wrinkle reading". If you can borrow it from your library,
it's definitely worth a read-through when you start fitting, perhaps in
conjunction with one of the more lavishly illustrated but more limited
books like Betzina's Fast Fit or Hazen's Fantastic Fit for Every Body.

There are a couple of magazines that you may want to subscribe to, or
at least browse at the library: Sew News is aimed at beginners, and often
has excellent basic information on such things as various ways to put
in a zipper, or different waistband constructions. Threads is more
advanced, but I think it's a good one for beginners to at least know about
and look through occasionally. I regret I was too cheap to take out
a subscription years earlier than I did... it's one of the few magazines
I save and use articles from again and again.

The other thing that I think is tough for beginners is judging fabric.
If you're used to wearing middle to high end ready to wear (Liz Claiborne
and up), you may have partially educated your fingers on what good fabrics
feel like. There are a lot of crummy fabrics in the world, some of which
can be made to feel pretty good by a variety of finishes that disappear with
cleaning and wear. Or they're made of blends that are likely to pill or
fuzz or... IMHO, these are fine when you can get them cheap and
are using them for muslins (mockups of finished garments), but if you're
going to spend the time to make your clothes, buy very good fabrics -- they're
easier to work with, they last longer, and they look good. There are a
series of books from Julie Parker: All about Cotton, All about wool,
All about Silk that might be useful and interesting to you; there are
also some more generalized fabric guides with emphasis on how to handle
particular fabrics from Sandra Betzina and Claire Shaeffer. FWIW, I prefer
Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide, the earlier, larger, not very sexy looking
book. Another book you might find interesting in your early career,
but get even more out of later is Winifred Aldrich's Fabric, Form and Flat
Pattern Cutting. In particular, you may want to take a good look at
how different fabrics look when made up in similar patterns, and the
"which fabrics drape rather like another fabric" list in the back.

There are lots and lots of things to know about sewing, and things I
wish I'd known more about when I started sewing -- I can't begin to list
them all. Probably the two tips I wish I'd gotten drummed into me earlier
are to pay meticulous attention to grainline, and to use good interfacing,
often in more areas than the standard patterns specify. Oh yes, buy
good thread, and replace machine needles often.

And I've yammered enough for tonight.

Kay
Old November 16th 04, 12:27 AM
Edgar S.

Excuse me, but there are a couple of problems with your plan of making
all of your own clothes.

The plan seems impractical. Even a simple design takes skill to
excecute well. sewing skills take years to perfect. One does not start
whipping out professional looking clothes the first time.

My recommendation is to develop your sewing skills by customizing
existing garments. Change buttons, lengthen or shorten hems and
cuffs. Add details, or take away excessive fourishes. Fix small
flaws.

You will see success much more quickly by modifying existing clothes
than trying to construct an entire wardrobe all by yourself.

I've found e-bay to be a good place to find suitable clothes. Usually
in fine shape, occasionally requiring a small repair.

Old November 16th 04, 01:08 AM
Kate Dicey

Edgar S. wrote:

You will see success much more quickly by modifying existing clothes
than trying to construct an entire wardrobe all by yourself.

AKK NO! Help! I hate alterations and always did. Even aged 7 it was
waaaaaay easier to start from scratch!

Nice new fabric, chosen by me, with a pattern chosen by me... Bliss!
Altering something that I didn't like enough to leave as it was? BLEAH!
No fanks, mate!

See, we're all different, and alterations are a very different skill
from basic construction. I do not go there...

Old November 16th 04, 05:42 AM
dnmgiordano

....snipped
Hi! I am completely frustrated by my inability to find clothes in the
color, style, fit, and durability that I want in the store, and have
decided to learn to make my own. Fortunately my favorite clothes that
I want to copy are all very simple -- 1 to 3 pieces of fabric, mostly
knits, with few or no buttons and no darts. So I think I can do it.
Should I get a sewing machine or a serger?

Do I need both or just
one? sewing books ?

copy my current garments, or is that too complex Thanks!!!

Jacqueline

A sewing machine is a must! unless you don't want finished hems, necklines,
etc.

I like the readers digest complete guide to sewing as thats what I learned
from (and all I own unfortunatly). There is a new edition in stores now,
basically the same as my 1976 first edition (older than me, and in better
shape than me too lol)

copying is easy, I just did a santa suit with that method, it just takes
practice.

I learned by myself, I chose fabric, pattern and followed the directions
(after learning to use my machines basic stitches making cloth diapers and
curtains) It really was easy, I used a mccalls girls dress for my DDs for
flowergirl dresses in my wedding. I will admit they are a far cry from what
I can accomplish now, and its only been just over a year (but I have devoted
almost all my free time to learning once I discovered how addicting sewing
is) here are some pics, the white and purple dress was my first, the rest
are all my own designs
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...04_87043219506

Just remember, preshink!!!! Find correct grainlines!!! (mistakes I have
made!)

try googling "learn to sew" there is lots of information out there.

Good luck!

Michelle Giordano