First design using Glass Eye

Old July 24th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Default First design using Glass Eye

Hi everybody!

Would appreciate your comments on this design, pro and con. I know I
probably need to break the border up into smaller pieces. Other than
that, what do you think? It is targeted for a transom-like window
measuring around 20" x 44". If the link wraps, you might have to
paste the thing together. The design is a conglomeration of ideas
from the Glass Eye examples.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...Squares_14.jpg

Thank you, Michael

Old July 24th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everybody!

Would appreciate your comments on this design, pro and con. I know I
probably need to break the border up into smaller pieces. Other than
that, what do you think? It is targeted for a transom-like window
measuring around 20" x 44". If the link wraps, you might have to
paste the thing together. The design is a conglomeration of ideas
from the Glass Eye examples.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...Squares_14.jpg

Thank you, Michael

You are right about the border needing to be divided.

One thing I see that would concern me (based on your previous comments about
your skill level) is that there are a lot of pieces that have inside curves
that taper off to a fairly sharp tip where the piece goes in around the
teardrop shaped pieces. Those sharp tips are problems in two ways. First,
they are (depending on the glass) sometimes difficult to cut and preserve
the tip. Secondly, they are a very weak part of the design. If any part of
it breaks during construction or installation, it will be right across
those tips.

Old July 24th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Jul 24, 8:02 am, Michael wrote:
Hi everybody!

Would appreciate your comments on this design, pro and con. I know I
probably need to break the border up into smaller pieces. Other than
that, what do you think? It is targeted for a transom-like window
measuring around 20" x 44". If the link wraps, you might have to
paste the thing together. The design is a conglomeration of ideas
from the Glass Eye examples.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ion=view&curre...

Thank you, Michael

I think the diamonds on the inside border ought to go. They were the
first thing I noticed and the focal point of your design is really the
center part. They make the design look to tense. Break that border up
with just lines or break it up and add some addition corresponding
color. I also don't like that big diamond in the center. An oval would
look more appealing.

Old July 24th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
charlie

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everybody!

Would appreciate your comments on this design, pro and con. I know I
probably need to break the border up into smaller pieces. Other than
that, what do you think? It is targeted for a transom-like window
measuring around 20" x 44". If the link wraps, you might have to
paste the thing together. The design is a conglomeration of ideas
from the Glass Eye examples.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...Squares_14.jpg

Thank you, Michael

think also about fold lines and try to break them up

Old July 25th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Moonraker wrote:

Those sharp tips are problems in two ways... If any part of it breaks
during construction or installation, it will be right across those
tips.

****************
Thank you for the comments. I am going to try and tune up the design
and reduce the sharp points. I have seen many windows with broken
pieces in them. I would like as much as possible to avoid building
weakness into a window.

Michael

Old July 25th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Neoglassic wrote:

I think the diamonds on the inside border ought to go. They were the
first thing I noticed and the focal point of your design is really the
center part. They make the design look to tense. Break that border up
with just lines or break it up and add some addition corresponding
color. I also don't like that big diamond in the center. An oval would
look more appealing.

****************
Thank you for the suggestions, Neo. Ever since I started it, I have
not felt comfortable with the combination of curves and diamonds in
the center. I've got another centerpiece that I'm thinking about
using instead.

Michael

Old July 25th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

charlie wrote:

think also about fold lines and try to break them up.

****************
Are the fold lines places where sets of straight lines come closest to
going through the entire design? If so, I've got lines going all the
way through the designs right inside the outer borders. Is that a
problem on a 20" x 45" window? Thank you for commenting, Charlie.

Michael

Old July 25th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everybody!

Would appreciate your comments on this design, pro and con. I know I
probably need to break the border up into smaller pieces. Other than
that, what do you think? It is targeted for a transom-like window
measuring around 20" x 44". If the link wraps, you might have to
paste the thing together. The design is a conglomeration of ideas
from the Glass Eye examples.

Thank you, Michael

Very nice as is. How long did it take you to do it start to finish?
Include the time to print it on multiple sheets and tape together. It would
probably take me about 30 minutes to draw it out by hand, but I'm too old
and lazy to take the time to learn the program.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old July 25th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Jman

On Jul 24, 9:02 am, Michael wrote:
Hi everybody!

Would appreciate your comments on this design, pro and con. I know I
probably need to break the border up into smaller pieces. Other than
that, what do you think? It is targeted for a transom-like window
measuring around 20" x 44". If the link wraps, you might have to
paste the thing together. The design is a conglomeration of ideas
from the Glass Eye examples.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...ion=view&curre...

Thank you, Michael

I Dunno there Michael.....

I like the Diamond shapes. It's a bit less "traditional" than many
other panels and maybe that's why I like it... I think if I were
going to change anything, it might be the shape of the 'orange' pieces
instead. Perhaps pieces that aren't so circular in the ends. I find
they tend to hide the nice diamond structure in the middle. Either
way, I like the panel...

Just my .02

BTW, how was the learning curve with the software ? Are you enjoying
it thus far ?

/MM

Old July 25th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Jman wrote:

Either way, I like the panel... BTW, how was the learning curve with
the software ? Are you enjoying it thus far ?

*************
Thanks for the comments! I like the software. The last time I did
stained glass was many years ago and I did the designs by hand. It
was a long drawn out process for someone without an artist's
instincts. It involved a lot of experimentation, juggling of lines
and curves and motifs. That is something that Glass Eye excels at. I
also like being able to color the window in. It might not be an exact
rendering of the final window, but at least I get a warm fuzzy.

Complaints about the software? None yet, but because I am on
vacation, I have not printed any designs out yet. My guess is that
it's smooth with no problems. Drawing curves is a little tricky. You
cannot freehand draw any lines or curves. It involves a connection of
points that you designate. A straight line is not a problem of
course, done with two points, but the algorithm that plots the curves
between a series of three or more points is a little bit tricky. It
might be nice to be able to draw a curve by dragging the mouse around,
and then use a smoothing function to get the jitters out.
Macromedia's Flash web software does that. What I did was look at the
examples to see how curves were done in them.

I'm going to buy the software. No question there. The question is
which version I get. I've been comparing features and I think that
the cheapest version they have is going to suit a hobbyist like me
just fine.

Michael