"Extra" seam allowance?

Old July 17th 03, 02:14 AM
Meghan

Default "Extra" seam allowance?

Hi, as an on-again-off-again lurker this is the first place I thought to ask
when I had a question.

My son's toddler quilt was my second quilt and though it had no triangles,
only squares and rectangles, it had *lots* of seams and pieces. Now that he's
about to turn three he's really grown attached to the quilt and has started to
drag it around the house with him. That just tickles me pink. But, a couple
of the seams that came out a little short in seam allowance when I was piecing
the top have opened. I tacked them with fusible web for now and I'm more
careful about washing and drying it - washing on cold/gentle and hanging to
dry now instead of tumble drying. I expect it will eventually be worn out but
I'm trying to prolong it!

So here's the question that long-winded story is leading up to. My daughter
is now 10 months old and I'm starting on her toddler quilt (her newborn quilt
can be seen he
http://www.quilterscache.com/images1...tarflowerA.jpg). I'm using the
Butterfly paper piecing pattern from Quilter's Cache. Now that I've done
three practice butterflies I'm ready to start the whole quilt. What I'm
wondering though, is since I'm paper piecing and the seams are marked on the
paper, I can trim the fabric so the allowance is more than 1/4" if I want to
since the paper acts as my guide and the block size won't really change. Is
there any reason, other than a little more bulk, to NOT make the allowances a
little bigger, say, 3/8"? I was thinking it might make it a little more
durable since I expect the quilt to take a lot of abuse, and I can be a little
more relaxed about washing it.

Opinions please? Thanks!

Meghan