Where to buy clear colored glass?

Old March 25th 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
DeanB

Default Where to buy clear colored glass?

On Mar 25, 4:34*am, Adrian wrote:
HI Dean

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:45:16 -0700 (PDT), DeanB

wrote:
On Mar 25, 1:24*am, nJb wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:52:42 -0400, " *Moonraker"

wrote:

"DeanB" wrote in message
news:e78420a9-ccdd-4b17-Apologies! I am in Princeton, NJ, USA. Thank you for
your input - is
there a word I should use instead of 'plain'coloredglass? What I
mean is no pattern or texture, just regular flatglasslike a window.

Cheers for the info and link.

-Dean

The technical name for what you are looking for is "cathedral"glass. *It
has no white mixed into the moltenglass, thus not "opalescent".

Obviously, theglassyou want is made, otherwise camera filters wouldn't
exist. *I don't recall ever seeing any perfectly plainglassin an artglass
sample box. *There are some with minimal patterns and textures and bubbles,
but if you are looking for something with an optically clear presence, *I'd
be a a loss to tell you where to find it.

I'm fairly sure you would be able to find a plain, butcoloredPlexiglass.
You may also want to check with LOF or another POG (plain oldglass)
manufacturer to see if they offer colors.

Some or all of the Spectrum fusible transparents come smooth. 2x2
sheets.

Jack- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I have just ordered the Spectrum sample set, and that has the
colors and styles that I think are the close. I know its expensive,
but in the long run I think it will be good for choosing colors.

This is for a project I want to build into a skylight in our living
room - the sun comes in as a rectangular beam, and I think it would be
beautiful if it were through either one straight rectangle, or some
kind of cathedral-style mosaic, though I have never made anything like
this before. I was imagining a window which includes perhaps 20 pieces
ofglassin a simple pattern, perhaps just group of rectangles. I'd
like to put it under the existing window, which I won't touch (we
never open it), and maybe make alternate patterns to swap out
occasionally.

Sounds nice !
I don't think you told us the dimensions of this window.
There are various ways of constructing it from colouredglass-
possibly the simplest of you've not done any of this before is to use
copper foil tape (the Tiffany technique) and then solder the joints.

However, if the window's any size at all, and given that it sounds to
be mounted horizontally, you'll need to include some reinforcement in
the design, otherwise it may sag in the middle and eventually fall
apart!

Alternatively you could look at using lead 'came' (= channel) to hold
the window together - but it will be considerably heavier and will
also need reinforcement.

An 'off the wall' idea.....
Make up a complete window in a frame, same size as the skylight, using
clearglass. You can then cut the colouredglassto shape / size, and
simply lay it on the top of the clearglass- arrange some way of
fixing the new clear framed window in position (chains, hooks,
hinges..?)

When you get tired of the effect simply lower the complete frame down,
and rearrange / replace theglass.... how's that for a plan ??

There are also 'bevels' available in clear and colouredglass. There
are thicker pieces ofglasswhich have had the edges ground / polished
at an angle - so they will break up white light into rainbows. Not
expensive - and might produce a nice effect...

Thinking about it - I don't think that you'd notice the slight texture
that you get with Spectrum waterglass - might even add to the interest
- it's also relatively cheap, and easy to cut.

Good luck
Adrian

-Dean- Hide quoted text -

Thanks again - the "laying on plain glass as support" idea is great! I
have so much to learn!

The window is about 45 degrees from horizontal, and about 30x50", its
a typical Anderson skylight. I was going to fix a thin wooden frame
just below the existing window frame, and then use that to attach any
other windows I make, hopefully in a convenient form. Even just a few
pegs may be all that's necessary to hold it up while its screwed/
bolted in properly, as I will have to stand on a step ladder.

-Dean
Old March 25th 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

HI Dean

big snip

Thanks again - the "laying on plain glass as support" idea is great! I
have so much to learn!

It's not a 'conventional' approach - just something that might work in
your case...

The window is about 45 degrees from horizontal, and about 30x50"

Right - that's a fair old size - glass is heavy, and a permanent
installation using either copper foil or lead will be even heavier....

better make it safe - you don't want it landing on your head....g

, its
a typical Anderson skylight. I was going to fix a thin wooden frame

Don't make it too thin - I think I'd be looking at 2" x 1" or even 2"
x 2" - buth then - I always over-engineer things

just below the existing window frame, and then use that to attach any
other windows I make, hopefully in a convenient form. Even just a few
pegs may be all that's necessary to hold it up while its screwed/
bolted in properly, as I will have to stand on a step ladder.

Some small pulleys would allow 'somebody else' to take the weight
of rht panel while yuo secure it into position.
I think that, if it was me, I'd make two panels - each 30" x 25" - be
much easier to handle and install.

If your windowframe is at 45-degrees then you might need to use some
sort of transparent tape to stop it all from sliding about if you go
for the 'lay it on loose' technique...

I'm almost afraid to mention it in this group g - but you 'could'
use self-adhesive coloured plastic film to do the whole job. It's what
they often use instead of real glass inside doubleglazing units. Not
the same thing at all - but cheap, quick, chreerful and easy to
install.... cuts with scissors...

Adrian

-Dean

Old March 25th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

Construction of a panel this size would best be done using zinc came instead
of lead or copper foil. Zinc is stronger and lighter than lead, and much
stronger, I think, than any foil job. Reinforcing bars which follow the
design can be put on what will be the "top" side, and hidden from view.

Several years ago, I did a project similar to this for a customer. The
panels were installed in skylights in a bathroom. There were two or three
of them, as I remember. I'd suggest you get some paintable 3/4" steel (maybe
aluminum) angle iron and fit it around the rectangular opening at or near
the same level as the ceiling. If there is a "tunnel" between the bottom of
the skylight and the ceiling, you can "hang" the decorative panel like a
suspended ceiling tile. You'll need some air space between the skylight and
the decorative panel for maneuvering the panel for installation.

Old March 25th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

if you've never done any stained glass and just want the colors, why not use
a mosaic technique? it's very simple to do. you can get a framed window the
correct size, and use a good silicone glue to fasten the pieces of glass to
the clear window. then you grout the whole thing. it's a nice effect and
definitely beginner level.m
" Moonraker" wrote in message
[...]

colored 1 inch borosilicate glass twocranks Glass 0 December 17th 07 07:55 PM
Colored etched glass Joey Glass 6 November 30th 04 08:20 PM
colored glass JoJo Glass 0 September 1st 04 05:08 PM
discolor - bleaching of colored glass Lino Costa Glass 1 February 25th 04 02:02 AM
Sources for colored glass Juanita Floyd Beads 6 January 9th 04 12:30 AM