Please help with Antique Cameo

Old August 13th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,alt.antiques,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace
SteveRay

Default Please help with Antique Cameo

I have had this cameo in my family for approximately 75 years. It has
European
origin.

Notice the Hebrew lettering.

I am asking for information regrading this piece as to its age, origin
and
approximate value.

Thanks in advance for looking.

My apoolgies if this is not the appropriate group to post to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1090.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1089.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1088.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1087.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1084.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1083.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1082.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1081.jpg

Old August 14th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,alt.antiques,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace
Abrasha

SteveRay wrote:
I have had this cameo in my family for approximately 75 years. It has
European
origin.

Notice the Hebrew lettering.

I am asking for information regrading this piece as to its age, origin
and
approximate value.

Thanks in advance for looking.

My apoolgies if this is not the appropriate group to post to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1090.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1088.jpg

The Hebrew says "Miriam". She was the sister of Moses and Aaron. Check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam to read more and to see the same Hebrew
writing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1089.jpg

The Hebrew says "Bezalel" (top) and "Jerusalem" (bottom)

Bezalel was mentioned in the Torah (Exodus) as the person responsible for
overseeing the construction of the Tabernacle with the sacred furniture, as well
as the priest's clothing. He was appointed by Moses.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bezalel

Bezalel Academy of Art and Design is the art academy in Jerusalem, named after
the aforementioned Bezalel.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bezalel_Academy

and for the Bezalel web site: http://www.bezalel.ac.il/sitee/homepage.asp

Maybe someone at the Academy can help you further.

The seller of this eBay auction http://tinyurl.com/s6hvh, may also be able to
give you some answers.

Check out the cameo on page 24 of this pdf file:
http://www.tau.ac.il/arts/publicatio...%20115-138.pdf

Even though the cameo is quite different, the frame around it, has a lot of
similarities with yours.

If you google bezalel cameo, you will find some leads to antique dealers who may
be able to help you answer some more questions.

Good luck.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old August 14th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace
Heinrich Butschal

Abrasha schrieb:
SteveRay wrote:
[...]

The stile is typical for art nouveau. The cameo should be engraved about 1900.

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Heinrich Butschal
--
Schmuck gut verkaufen und günstig kaufen http://www.schmuck-boerse.com
Geschichten berühmter Juwelen http://www.royal-magazin.de
Old August 14th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,alt.antiques,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace
StevieRay

In article , Abrasha
wrote:

Check out the cameo on page 24 of this pdf file:
http://www.tau.ac.il/arts/publicatio...%20115-138.pdf

Abrasha,

I do not see a cameo on page 24 of the referenced file.

thanks,

Steve

Old August 15th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,alt.antiques,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace
Abrasha

StevieRay wrote:
In article , Abrasha
wrote:

Check out the cameo on page 24 of this pdf file:
http://www.tau.ac.il/arts/publicatio...%20115-138.pdf

Abrasha,

I do not see a cameo on page 24 of the referenced file.

thanks,

Steve

Well, excuuuuuuuse me! My bad!

I would think that with a little bit of scrolling you would have been able to
find that image yourself, since that document only has 24 pages, 8 of which are
footnotes.

Of all the information I found for you, and supplied you with, all you were able
to do is fault me for the fact that I gave you the wrong page for an image?!?

[[moderator's edit. disallowed comment removed... ]]

I would think a small "thank you" would have been more appropriate.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old August 15th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:12:38 GMT, StevieRay
wrote:

In article , Abrasha
wrote:

Check out the cameo on page 24 of this pdf file:
http://www.tau.ac.il/arts/publicatio...%20115-138.pdf

Abrasha,

I do not see a cameo on page 24 of the referenced file.

Me neither, but there are cameos on pages 7 & 8.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

Old August 15th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,alt.antiques,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace
StevieRay

In article , Abrasha
wrote:

SteveRay wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for your most informative post.

Best wishes to you,

Steve

Old August 16th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,alt.antiques,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace
ted frater

SteveRay wrote:
I have had this cameo in my family for approximately 75 years. It has
European
origin.

Notice the Hebrew lettering.

I am asking for information regrading this piece as to its age, origin
and
approximate value.

Thanks in advance for looking.

My apoolgies if this is not the appropriate group to post to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1090.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1089.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1088.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1087.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1084.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1083.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1082.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...h/IMG_1081.jpg

Well, this is an interesting and I might say an unusual piece.
My first reaction is it doesnt add up.
why?
because the mount, the design and that its a cameo with a jewish
inscription are not complimentary.
The mount is of italian silver filigree circa 1910 to 1920,
The design could be contemporary in form, but with a Pre Raphaelite
or even medieval dress on the tambourine player.
The cameo execution is of a high standard,, who ever carved it new
exactly what he wanted to depict OR what he was told to do.
My guess is that it was a comission because it would be unusual for
such a design to be a stock item for sale in an italian jewellers of the
time..
Its also somwhat licentious.an unlikely theme unless specifically requested.
who would wear this? difficult to say other than the fair maid
herself, Having been given to her for making someone very happy..
As to value, well? its worth whatever any one would pay for it.
the mount's not worth much , but the Cameo certainly is.
Its a lovely piece, Im envious!.
Id mount it in gold in the traditional way, with a rub over setting.
Origin? 1st choice Italy. 2nd Greece.
Age? 1800 to 1850. Ie earlier than the mount.
My guess the inscription could just perhaps be the home of the
comissioner..

Old August 16th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,alt.antiques,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace
taximania

Abrasha,

I do not see a cameo on page 24 of the referenced file.

Fair comment !!

Well, excuuuuuuuse me! My bad! (WHAT?)

all you were able to do is fault me for the fact that I gave you the wrong
page for an image?

[[moderator's edit. inappropriate comment removed]]

Steve only stated that he could not see the image in the page, you admit,
the link to, was wrong. Any wonder !!

Steve, I wouldn't have thanked him. He didn't even give you a valid link
before slagging you off.

Abrasha. Keep making the jewelry, it doesn't actually look to bad. But I for
one won't be emailing you for the prices :-)

Old August 16th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,alt.antiques,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace
nabokovsmuse

"Abrasha" wrote in message
StevieRay wrote:
In article , Abrasha
wrote:

[...]

I never cease to be astonished at the tactlessness and ham-handedness of
human beings, especially in those instances where a simple "thank you" would
suffice quite nicely. This is another occasion which fits the old adage,
"No good deed goes unpunished". *Sigh*