Stitching & Sewing for MOI -- finally!

Old February 15th 04, 12:43 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default Stitching & Sewing for MOI -- finally!

Hi Guys,
VBS -- it has been months and months since I did anything for myself and I
forgot how enjoyable it is! No deadlines, no hidden expectations, no stress
or pressure or *any* of that crap :-)))! I have been so busy since the
holidays that I really need this trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras!
Lessee -- about this time last year is when I started to get geared up for
the baby and began sewing all the nursery stuff -- bumper pads, diaper stacker,
accessory holder, 2 panel quilts, 2 polar fleece blankets, rocking chair pads
and a pieced quilt. Then I finished the birth sampler and made 2 quilts for my
DSis -- all before going to Lizard Land the beginning of May. I did about half
a dozen finishing jobs for the magazine and 2 model stitching pieces. I did 2
model stitching pieces for Ladybug Lane and then started to do the finishing
for her little pillows -- 5 or 6 of those. Add some autumn chair seat covers
(hmm, I guess those were for MOI -- LOL), another quilt for DSis last autumn
and 2 quilts & 2 polar fleece throw blankets as Christmas gifts and all the
machine embroidery stuff I did for the SMDGD!!! Oh -- let's not forget the
craft bazaar last November that I had to make a few things for, too.
To make things even more interesting, Janet went to work for Bucilla/Plaid
on 05 January and that's when things *really* got challenging! From 13 January
to about 30 January, I had THREE rush sewing jobs (a total of 5 pillows to
finish) from them! One each week -- stuff I got on Tuesday and they wanted
back on Friday! During that time I finished the last of the pillows for
Ladybug Lane and then got a call from the magazine. They were desperate and
needed someone to do some model stitching on an 8" x 12" design area project
that turned out to be the project from hell. The design was about 80% confetti
stitches and teensy little bits of color -- maybe 10 x 10 stitches max before
changing to another color! I had 2 1/2 weeks to finish the stitching!!!! I
stitched a total of 92 hours in 13 days and got the thing about 95% finished
and then sent it back on Wednesday last with the explaination that I had to
start work on my gown for Mardi Gras!!!
So -- I can now work on MY stuff! I have my Mardi Gras gown almost
finished, just have to hem it. I have all the stuff to start on the funky
jacket to wear with the gown. I finished the little stuffed bear with the aida
bib (sstitched a R and 2 little sheep and some vines) for the SMDGD. Today I
have been working on the baby's birth sampler for MOI! It was so nice to just
sit and look at all my WIPs and make a leisurely decision about which one I
wanted to work on! I DO need to get started on that jacket if I want to have
it finished and ready to take with us when we leave next week. But it's nice
to know that if I don't get it finished, I am the only one who will care!!! NO
ONE is counting on MOI to do **anything** for them! At least for right now --
LOL.
When I get back from New Orleans, the only thing I *must* do is another
quilt for my DSis and that doesn't have to be ready until just before Easter.
I do have a list of sewing stuff that I need to do -- mainly hem pants for DH &
finish a tartan vest for DSonIL before I go to Lizard Land the end of April.
VBS -- it is SOOOO nice not to have ANY work waiting for me. Something about
getting paid for work makes me want to lay aside all other projects and
concentrate on the job -- LOL!
As for stitching stuff (besides the birth sampler -- a Victoria Sampler
piece), my WIPs include a waste canvas sweatshirt, King Tut on aida for DD
(changed ALL the fibers to metallics), the growth chart for the SMDGD (also
aida) and the lovely canvas piece that I got for my birthday! Once the baby's
birth sampler is finished I think I will start on that canvas piece so I can
take it to CATS for show & tell :-)! VBS -- now I am starting to think about
doing that darling little kitty that I got from VIC that is on 40 count silk
gauze! I think I need a drink -- either that or a brain transplant -- LOLOL!
CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old February 15th 04, 02:06 AM
Texasxsgal1

King Tut on aida for DD
(changed ALL the fibers to metallics),

OMG, you really are a glutton for punishment, aren't you?
LOL
kathy
san antonio
Old February 15th 04, 07:40 PM
Olwynmary

I have my Mardi Gras gown almost
finished, just have to hem it. I have all the stuff to start on the funky

jacket to wear with the gown.

I DO need to get started on that jacket if I want to have it finished and

ready to take with us when we leave next week. But it's nice to know that if I
don't get it finished, I am the only one who will care!!!

But you WILL care - trust me! I cannot believe how cold it is this year - only
45F on my front porch, and it is 1:30 p.m.!!!!!
So get that jacket finished in case it is freezing in the ballroom, and if you
are going to watch the parade you will need some kind of very warm coverup (or
else long underwear) as the wind is positively biting when you stand still. DH
and I are going around in sweaters and jackets, but the "natives" are simply
not used to this cold, and are all bundled up in parkas etc.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old February 16th 04, 03:52 AM
Olwynmary

The jacket to go with my gown won't do much for warmth except keep my llower
arms covered -- LOL! My gown has sleeves that come about to my elbow but it
has a low scoop bodice both front & back.
(snip)

Maybe you should take a warm woolly shawl with you as well. I see the ball is
in the Convention Center, and that place can have some weird drafts, depending
on which hall you are in. Tonight on the news, the weatherman said it *might*,
just possibly, get up to 69F or 70F on Sunday mid-afternoon, but that still
takes it down to low 60s for the 5:30 p.m. parade kickoff, and lower at night.

OM -- will you please post or e-mail me the names of the LNS &/or LQS in the
area that you recommend?

I cannot feel that there is anything in the Big Easy which you cannot obtain in
Hotlanta, but, for the record, my fave is www.gardendistrictneedlework.com
Their website is STILL not finished, but I understand it is costing the owners
a fortune to have done so they are building it a little at a time. You can get
a fair idea of what they have in new stuff from the site (and it seems to be a
pretty comprehensive collection) but in my view, the best stuff is upstairs.
They started small (inside the antique shop of one of the owners) but then had
the opportunity to buy out all the stock of another LNS which was going out of
business. Obviously, the owner of that store way overbought, from the 1970s
on, because there are dozens of kits, everything from gorgeous crewel to
stamped pillowcases, tablecloths etc. Also, there are literally hundreds of
skeins of acrylic yarn, both cheap stuff and good stuff, all on sale at 6
skeins for $5 or 12 for $10. I already bought one of the 12 skein packs of the
high quality stuff to make father/son sweaters for DGS and SIL next Christmas.
I have seen some out of town visitors - particularly those from small central
and western USA towns where there is nothing but WalMart for 150 miles in any
direction - come in and buy several cartons of stuff, which they then have
shipped home.

E-mail me off list and I will give you my phone no. so you can call for
directions when you get in to town.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.