Help with threading a Mala God-bead

Old July 17th 03, 05:41 AM
TyrrGremlin

Default Help with threading a Mala God-bead

Hello,

I am trying to make a Mala, but am unable to finish the loop back through
the 3 hole god-bead.

The god-bead has 3 holes with 90 degree bends like a T...the idea is to
start in through the center hole going out through one of the side holes,
then you add your other beads and finish the loop through the OTHER side
hole and back out through the center hole again nice and neat.

I get the first side done and add the beads to the loop, but I cannot get
the thread back through the second and middle holes - the thread will just
not make the bend.

Things I have tried:
1. Using thinner thread
2. Making the side holes in the bead larger, and rounding the 90 degree
bends
(This helped with the first part)
3. Pushing the thread through using a fine wire
4. Using super glue to glue the thread to the first side of the thread to
pull it through

At this point I am truly stuck and stumped!

If anyone has any tips, I would sure like to hear them!

Thanks, David

Old July 17th 03, 06:29 AM
Deborah

"TyrrGremlin" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,
I don't know if this will help you, but have you tried 'stiffening' the end
of the thread with glue? For example, put some white craft glue on the end
of the stringing thread you are using, let it harden, and use it as your
needle.

Good luck!
Best,
Deborah

Old July 17th 03, 10:19 PM
LYNWALK143

The god-bead has 3 holes with 90 degree bends like a T...the idea is to
start in through the center hole going out through one of the side holes,
then you add your other beads and finish the loop through the OTHER side
hole and back out through the center hole again nice and neat.

Suppose you "pre-threaded" those loop things that one uses to drag dental floss
between your molars... The non-loop end is stiff, and you might have more
control hitting the individual holes. Then put a thread in each loop, and
pull...

Lynne

Old July 17th 03, 10:43 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:41:04 -0700, "TyrrGremlin"
wrote:

[...]

Stick something like an awl into the first hole so the thread will be
forced to go down.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale
Old July 17th 03, 11:08 PM
Deirdre S.

Hey. Good idea. Might just work. I was going to suggest a twisted wire
needle, with a pre-angled bend in it so it would go around the
internal corner in the god bead easier. But I get the idea that the
double thickness of the stringing material is a problem.

How about winding a fine wire around the stringing material tightly
enough so it doesn't slide off and leaving enough unthreaded wire at
the beginning to snake through the holes, then pull the wound
thread/cord after it? Dunno if that description makes sense...

Deirdre

Old July 20th 03, 06:15 AM
Kaytee

In article , "TyrrGremlin"
writes:

I am trying to make a Mala, but am unable to finish the loop back through
the 3 hole god-bead.

I find that using a home-made needle of twisted wire, "pre-bent" almost to a 90
deg angle is about the only thing that works-- after several tries. Or: start a
threaded needle through from the bottom hole, but don't pull the thread all the
way through-- just enough so a "loop" sticks out where you want your mala cord
to go in. Feed the cord through the loop, then gently, carefully pull the
thread back through the bottom hole until the cord peeks through. Cut off hte
threaded needle, then pull the cord the rest of the way through.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old July 20th 03, 09:21 AM
Helen C

Too bad you couldn't just get a small enough crochet hook in there to grap
the loop. Just thinking of that cuz I got this really neat set of doily
making ones at a garage sale with ALL those little tiny ones (now, I'm
seeing if I remember enough crochet to actually MAKE one)

Later,

Helen C

And maybe I'll even try bead crochet if I get that round TUIT I keep whining
about G

Old July 20th 03, 09:51 AM
Helen C

Yep. Had serious "joy-gasms" when I saw this set in a box along with some
sock needles (sets of four double pointed knitting needles), hairpin lace
loops, circular needles and a few other things, and all for only $3!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say I snatched that one up! (the needles are probably older than
I am)

Later,

Helen C

I'm the type that usually makes BIG afghans. Have one that's big enough for
my king-sized bed that I made while pregnant with my 4th and with a lot of
runs to goodwill to get more bags of scrap yarn. It's definately colorful!!

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Helen C"
:

]Too bad you couldn't just get a small enough crochet hook in there to

grap
]the loop. Just thinking of that cuz I got this really neat set of doily
]making ones at a garage sale with ALL those little tiny ones (now, I'm
]seeing if I remember enough crochet to actually MAKE one)

**grin**
i've got a set of those.
"fine" crocheting is the only kind i can do!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

Old July 21st 03, 03:22 PM
Kaytee

In article , vj
writes:

Too bad you couldn't just get a small enough crochet hook in there to grap
]the loop.

Won't work usually-- you tend to "grab" the "wrong" loop more often than not.

Old July 21st 03, 06:18 PM
Shirley Shone

Can you buy the threaders that are used for over lockers ( sergers)
machines. They are very bendy . I have a pack with two in. looking at
mine the finest one would fit the bill admirably
Shirley

In article , Kaytee
writes