dilemma - to felt or not to felt and other "altered art"

Old January 14th 12, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default dilemma - to felt or not to felt and other "altered art"

hey gang - this is veering off topic, but I want your input.

We've all seen projects that involving felting an old wool sweater. And
there are a few I've fallen in love with and want to try.

Here's my dilemma - I go in to the thrift stores and some times even
find wool sweaters and then I go, but

BUUTTTT, this is still good, some one could use this to stay warm still.
And I walk away with out the sweater. It's never the price - usually
around 5-10 dollars

I suspect if I found one that had actually been sort of "shrunk"
already, I'd have less heartburn.

Mind you, I go NUTS when I see someone take a book and cut out the
pages. It's A BOOK - someone could still read it. I don't think I could
bring myself to take a razor blade to a book.

Anyone else feel like this.

Cheryl
Old January 14th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/14/12 9:16 AM, in article , "Cheryl Isaak"
wrote:

hey gang - this is veering off topic, but I want your input.

We've all seen projects that involving felting an old wool sweater. And
there are a few I've fallen in love with and want to try.

Here's my dilemma - I go in to the thrift stores and some times even
find wool sweaters and then I go, but

BUUTTTT, this is still good, some one could use this to stay warm still.
And I walk away with out the sweater. It's never the price - usually
around 5-10 dollars

I suspect if I found one that had actually been sort of "shrunk"
already, I'd have less heartburn.

Sort of. I actually agree about the sweaters - unless it looks already
starting to be threadbare, or wonky. Then you can felt it, make a pillow, a
purse, put it to some use - thinking of it as recycling. We've been
donating a lot of clothes the past couple of years, and honestly, when I do
that, especially things that are really just fine, fit, etc - I do it
thinking of helping someone who needs that.

Mind you, I go NUTS when I see someone take a book and cut out the
pages. It's A BOOK - someone could still read it. I don't think I could
bring myself to take a razor blade to a book.

No problem with razoring a book when the part is to be used for something.
When I was a little kid, my mom actually bought a 2nd set of the kiddie
encyclopedia (like 1st grade) and I was able to cut it up to use in doing
projects. I loved that, and it started some great arts/crafts things. But,
I would freak if I saw someone damaging a library book. Also, will say,
that since I was about 9 in painting lessons started collecting reference
images. So, I am a remover of photos from mags (and recipes) then will
recycle the unneeded remainder.

That said - being a hard core lots of science/math person, I started writing
in my textbooks that were my own. Even in high school for some classes
(back in the not quite dark ages) I had to buy some texts at the local
college (like chem, physics workbooks, 2ndary texts, and my math texts for
special stats course) - and I found that writing in the margins, or in those
missing math derivation steps, helped. So, it continued, and I have always
used highlighter in texts, and written formula/worked out missing steps. I
think my thermo texts are full of arrows in margins to show the order of
what is happening (hey, it's an esoteric subject anyhow).

I kind of like a little pencil in a margin if you're thinking about
something when you're reading - even if it's a definition of some tough
term. Have upon occasion done in a novel (especially Saul Bellow books) -
shows the reader was into the book. OTOH, nothing crude. I do tend to keep
my books, so....

Anyone else feel like this.

Cheryl

As you can see, yes on the sweaters, not so much on the books. Would hate
if someone razored just a page and then put the book back for others, or
just wasted it.

Ellice

Old January 14th 12, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

I love books - nearly worship them. I couldn't destroy a Danielle Steele
book and I can't stand her as a writer. I suppose if I found one with
most of the pages already missing.

I guess the search for a junked sweater continues

Old January 14th 12, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

wrote:

[...]

If I can find the citron green one that I accidently felted in washing, I
can send it to you - if you want it.....

Ellice

Old January 15th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/14/2012 11:08 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:48:08 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I love books - nearly worship them. I couldn't destroy a Danielle Steele
book and I can't stand her as a writer. I suppose if I found one with
most of the pages already missing.

I guess the search for a junked sweater continues

Change to e-readers, no probs then. I am now accumulating without
totally filling my space lol

That is true,

BUT unlike you, Jim and Lucille...I don't think I would get the total
pleasure and satisfaction out of a screen. There have to be pages, some
stained, some bent whatever..that is what makes a book..a BOOK.

I am back into genealogy..and have barely done anything the last few
days, other than cook a meal...and pay the cleaning ladies and yard
guys. It is totally entrancing...and being a book-person, I try to
picture how all these folk spent their days, how did they travel etc.

An unknown distant family member called me early December, wanting to
know more about Jim's grandmother's side of the family. (She has been
into genealogy for very many years and knows her stuff). It has been a
blast. I talked for nearly an hour to a 96 yr old aunt yesterday, who
ended up "I remember that Grace, who was Great Aunt Fanny's child was
illegitimate. I have now discovered that Fanny (actually Emily) was
married twice.

Cheryl, you guys up in New England had fascinating lives. Most of these
are in Rhode Island, but one branch went up to Maine. I have now found a
relative, born in Illinois, of an Ill mother, and Australian father.

My eyes are about crossed from being at the computer all day, and
reading these century-plus censuses.

Love it

Gill
Old January 15th 12, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy Spera

wrote:

I love books - nearly worship them. I couldn't destroy a Danielle Steele
book and I can't stand her as a writer. I suppose if I found one with
most of the pages already missing.

I guess the search for a junked sweater continues

Change to e-readers, no probs then. I am now accumulating without
totally filling my space lol

That is true,

BUT unlike you, Jim and Lucille...I don't think I would get the total
pleasure and satisfaction out of a screen. There have to be pages, some
stained, some bent whatever..that is what makes a book..a BOOK.

I thought that too until recently. I plunged and got a Kindle Touch
and have found many authors I never would have read without an e-reader.
While on vacation DB had his and never ran out of books and didn't have
to stow a box of books in the trunk. I scan the freebies and the .99
lists and while I've had a few duds, I have found authors neither the
local library nor B&N will ever carry, especially with the reduced
inventory. I've found books by authors I've read in the past who are
making books available on e-readers when no one else will publish them.
I do still read "real" books, but now they won't take over the house.

Nancy

Old January 15th 12, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/14/12 8:37 PM, in article , "Cheryl Isaak"
wrote:

On 1/14/12 11:07 AM, Ellice K. wrote:

*big snip*

I love books - nearly worship them. I couldn't destroy a Danielle Steele
book and I can't stand her as a writer. I suppose if I found one with
most of the pages already missing.

I guess the search for a junked sweater continues

If I can find the citron green one that I accidently felted in washing, I
can send it to you - if you want it.....

Ellice

YES!!!!!

Okie dokie - I think I may actually know where it is.....

Ellice

Old January 15th 12, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joyce in RSA

On 2012/01/15 07:58 PM, Karen C in Calif wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Mind you, I go NUTS when I see someone take a book and cut out the
pages. It's A BOOK - someone could still read it. I don't think I
could bring myself to take a razor blade to a book.

Anyone else feel like this.

Cheryl

Yep. When I was working sorting books for the library book sale, one
elderly woman insisted on throwing away anything over 5 years old. A
friend and I would stay after and pull the books out of the trash
despite her. We had a phobia that she'd throw away the last existing
copy of something.

I have a phobia about throwing anything away! Not that I'm a terrible
hoarder, just that if there's any possible way of recycling or passing
on I'd rather do that.

Joyce in RSA.

"The Bird Brain" face jug - folk art by Dan Norton stermen Marketplace 0 May 23rd 09 12:19 PM
"Butterfly Dress" in "Beads Buttons and Lace/Romantic Style" both by Jennie Atkinson Roseagh Yarn 4 July 31st 07 10:00 AM
OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" ratherthan a "girl"? off kilter quilter Quilting 0 August 30th 06 02:33 AM
art with wool and felt J.M. Needlework 0 February 21st 05 11:43 PM
Felt Art Craft Els van Dam Yarn 4 August 6th 03 07:00 PM