Wholecloth pictures posted

Old October 25th 05, 05:24 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

Default Wholecloth pictures posted

I posted some pictures of the whole cloth quilt that finally went to its
new owner earlier this month. http://tinyurl.com/9k8yr

I had a really difficult time trying to get some good pictures of this
one, they look a lot better on my computer than they do at yahoo but this
will have to do for now at least. Some of these were taken during
construction, there are also a couple after it was finished and washed.
You can see the blue lines on the ones taken during the quilting process.

I had a lot of problems with this one...the main problem being the poor
quality of the variegated thread made by Valdani. I contacted them and
they replaced the original thread but the replacement thread was as bad as
the first thread.

I spent a huge amount of time on this quilt, hours alone just finding all
the materials I needed. Aside from the poor quality of the variegated
thread I had no complaints about any of the "ingredients" for this quilt.
I got the preprinted whole cloth panel from Hancocks of Paducah, the solid
thread was from was from Sewing Thread Online, the variegated thread came
from The Thread Exchange (and they have excellent customer service, Russ
refunded the purchase price of the Valdani thread), and the wool batting
came from King's Men Quilting Supply. All these are on line companies and
I would not hesitate to order from any of them again. The backing fabric
and the binding fabric both came from TSWLTH, it's really the only local
chain. I had to return the backing due to flaws and ended up going to 4
different locations but finally got the 10 yards I needed to have. I would
have gotten that on line but I really wanted to see the color in person.
For the binding I used a batik that I found at Joann's, it has the same
basic colors as the variegated thread.

This was a huge project for me, I saw one of these at a quilt show and
really wanted to make one but no way would I ever attempt to hand quilt
anything, much less a queen sized quilt!

Sorry this is so long, I don't post very often, maybe this is why???

Judie in Penfield NY
Old October 25th 05, 05:43 PM
Taria

Wow Judie! That is a wonderful accomplishment. It turned out
beautiful. So just how long did it take you?
Thanks so much for sharing and your long post is just fine : )
Taria

Old October 25th 05, 05:53 PM
C & S

Wow, that is some nice quilt! Thank you for sharing.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

Old October 25th 05, 05:56 PM
Mary in Washington

That is really a beauty and a pat on the back for tackling it. Your QI
is adorable too. Mary

A Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, And
Always Close To Your Heart!
http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa

Old October 25th 05, 05:58 PM
teleflora

"Judie in Penfield NY" wrote in message
I posted some pictures of the whole cloth quilt that finally went to its
new owner earlier this month. http://tinyurl.com/9k8yr

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL, Judie! I love, love, love this pattern. I really
think this is my favorite kind of quilt (at the moment).

I can't manage to finish a miniature wholecloth. Let alone a huge quilt
like this.

Congratulations on job well done. I guess I too could do it for my child,
but I can't imagine giving something like this away.

Cindy

Old October 25th 05, 05:59 PM
Marcella Peek

Wow, that's very beautiful.

Would you ever do a second for yourself?

marcella

Old October 25th 05, 06:00 PM
Kerensa

WOW your wholecloth quilt is gorgeous! And I see the "quilt inspector"
loves it just as much if not more ;-) Fantastic job there. I'm assuming
you machine quilted it? I still have a lot to learn as I don't know how to
freemotion quilt yet. All I have really done is stitch in the ditch and
cross-hatching and they've all been babyquilt or wallhanging size lol
Anything bigger gets sent off to be machine quilted for me lol Wonderful
work there!
--
Hugs,
Kerensa

My Quilting Photos
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/a_web_junkie/my_photos
"Judie in Penfield NY" wrote in message
I posted some pictures of the whole cloth quilt that finally went to its
new owner earlier this month. http://tinyurl.com/9k8yr

I had a really difficult time trying to get some good pictures of this
one, they look a lot better on my computer than they do at yahoo but this
will have to do for now at least. Some of these were taken during
construction, there are also a couple after it was finished and washed.
You can see the blue lines on the ones taken during the quilting process.

........................snipped

Old October 25th 05, 06:14 PM
frood

Spike and Giles are Happy Dancing in their Halloween costumes for your
finished quilt! Spike is a very friendly lion, and Giles is Superman!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old October 25th 05, 06:29 PM
Vickie

That is great, and huge. Congratulations...and by the way my first name is
the same as the receipient.......so ....well..you know I wouldn't mind if I
could borrow G it .....sometime
lol Vickie in Everson, Wa

Old October 25th 05, 06:34 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

Thank you. It has many imperfections but it IS finished in my lifetime!

I think I might like to do another one of these, especially since I have
added to my sewing machine collection recently. In fact, I'm sort of
afraid to count but I do know I have at least 8 machines in my bed/sewing
room. And a few more down in the basement.

My newest addition is a Singer 401 that was totally frozen. I managed to
get it working and have been very pleased with both it and myself. It's
the 3rd 401 I've found in the last month after searching for one of these
for quite awhile now. I also got a very nice Singer 500 just last week,
and have been using it for some hemming and some curtains.

So, to answer your question, it would be a lot easier now with the "new"
machines. I've got a walking foot AND a darning foot for the 401's and 500
and that would make things go much more easily. I used my Singer 301 and
then switched to an old faithful Kenmore for the first quilt but didn't
have a walking foot for either of those.

I have yet to make myself a quilt, so far I've made one for each of 7
grandchildren, two daughters, my dad, and a favorite aunt. One daughter
has a quilt I made for her wedding gift plus a lap quilt and a denim
picnic quilt.

Judie

New pictures posted! Allaya Diep Yarn 6 May 15th 04 10:16 PM
Pictures of Designs on Websites Rachel Janzen Needlework 57 February 29th 04 08:54 PM
CROSSPOSTED - new pictures, even some quilt pictures!! CNYstitcher Quilting 0 December 28th 03 04:55 AM
OT - "New" Yoda Pictures! DavesFatChick Quilting 17 October 20th 03 05:29 PM