RCTQ Applique Bom Blocks

Old October 20th 05, 07:14 PM
Christina in Ok

Default RCTQ Applique Bom Blocks

I am so proud of myself.. I have finished all of the blocks and I am now
ready for Novembers
( you can see there here)
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/RCTQ-BOM

Teri does have Feb-Sep blocks listed, but I have updated March, May and
finished out Octobers blocks which hasn't been re-uploaded/ uploaded, but
she hasn't had the time yet to upload them to her site yet.

I have been thinking about re-doing Februarys- and March and maybe even
Aprils blocks, but since it shows me how I came along and how my hand
sewing got better I am torn between redoing or keeping it.

What I have learned- freezer paper is not for me My first block in February
I iron the paper on top of the fabrics, March and Aprils blocks where made
from freezer paper as well, but once I sewed on, could not get the freezer
paper out, ( and they are still on the blocks today, Wonder what will happen
once they are washed LOL )
May-October's blocks where made out of iron on interfacing..which I think is
the way to go, it does make them stiff, ( which I do like)
Points of anything I have done, OH man its so hard.. Someone will have to
tell me a better way..

I used all purpose coats and Clarks threads, which match, I bought the small
rolls for $0.97
the first block I bought button thread ( Yuck) thinking it was all
purpose thread LOL ( shoot I didn't even know they made a button thread!!

Now I did find Placement very hard, esp. since you have a seam that you tuck
under. but as you can tell I did work that out in the later blocks. ( need
tips)
also when I was sewing on July's block I found out it is backwards.. as
is Septembers. ( this I think it how I cut out my interfacing.. and I will
have to turn it around the next time. ( correct?)

I started this about on the 5th and became ossopessed with appliqué until I
was finished.. I was worried that I would not be able to finish until NOV.
A lot of hours and a lot of work, but I did love it.. and now I cannot wait
until November's blocks come out so I can take what I have learned, and
relax while making the block.

So what does everyone else think should I redo Februarys-Aprils blocks?
Please look at the stitching too
what can I do better, is it correct? I need input!!

Now I can relax and get back to my green and purple quilt making LOL

--
Christina Hilburn
Web Site: http://gardenbreeze.us

Old October 20th 05, 07:35 PM
Marcella Peek

Fantastic job! I think all your blocks look lovely and I personally
wouldn't re-do any of them.

To get the trapped freezer paper out; make a slit in the backing fabric
with your scissors. You can pull the paper out and then whip stitch the
slit closed. Since the slit is in the backing under the applique shape
it won't show.

marcella

Old October 20th 05, 09:08 PM
Harry and Anita

They look great to me Christina. I wouldn't do them over if it were me.

Hmm, now I'm getting the urge to get caught up on these. But if I start
this now Kira's Kitties will get pushed aside along with the 3 cross stitch
projects and so many other things. UFOs seem to be a way of life here some
days.

Anita in blustery Alaska

Old October 20th 05, 10:14 PM
Patti

Great achievement Christina.
..
In message , Christina in Ok
writes
I am so proud of myself.. I have finished all of the blocks and I am now
ready for Novembers
( you can see there here)
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/RCTQ-BOM

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 20th 05, 10:25 PM
Estelle Gallagher

Hi Christina! I think you have done a wonderful job from what I can see!! I
like the way you have peiced the background of your applique blocks,also the
varied colour combinations.These will make a stunning quilt/quilts when put
together.Well done! Estelle uk

Old October 21st 05, 01:14 AM
Sally Swindells

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:14:54 -0500, "Christina in Ok"
wrote:

I am so proud of myself.. I have finished all of the blocks and I am now
ready for Novembers
( you can see there here)
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/RCTQ-BOM

Teri does have Feb-Sep blocks listed, but I have updated March, May and
finished out Octobers blocks which hasn't been re-uploaded/ uploaded, but
she hasn't had the time yet to upload them to her site yet.

When I looked they were all there as far as July (little bird)

I have been thinking about re-doing Februarys- and March and maybe even
Aprils blocks, but since it shows me how I came along and how my hand
sewing got better I am torn between redoing or keeping it.

They look fine - I would keep them - unless there is one that really
annoys you - I redid my February one because the colours didn't go
with the blocks I did subsequently, and it niggled me!

What I have learned- freezer paper is not for me My first block in February
I iron the paper on top of the fabrics, March and Aprils blocks where made
from freezer paper as well, but once I sewed on, could not get the freezer
paper out, ( and they are still on the blocks today, Wonder what will happen
once they are washed LOL ).

As the back of the block will be hidden by the batting, it is easy
just to make a little slit in the back (which is the background
colour) and poerhaps using a pair of tweezers (or finger nails) pull
the left behind pieces of paper out. You could always just
slip-stitch the cut edges together and, provided you keep the cut to
the middle of the stitches no-one will ever know! I do this when I'm
deep in thought and don't remember to pull out the paper till its well
and truly stitched in. Much too lazy to unpick and remove, so just
slit and pull!

May-October's blocks where made out of iron on interfacing..which I think is
the way to go, it does make them stiff, ( which I do like)

Points of anything I have done, OH man its so hard.. Someone will have to
tell me a better way..

I used all purpose coats and Clarks threads, which match, I bought the small
rolls for $0.97
the first block I bought button thread ( Yuck) thinking it was all
purpose thread LOL ( shoot I didn't even know they made a button thread!!

Now I did find Placement very hard, esp. since you have a seam that you tuck
under. but as you can tell I did work that out in the later blocks. ( need
tips)

Mark the middle of your original photocopy of the whole block and put
a pin to mark the middle of the background fabric. Then put the
photocopy under the background fabric matching the centres. Lay your
applique pieces (with edges turned in and tacked) over the outlines
you can see through the backgroups material, and pin them.

If the background is dark I would fold the background material corner
to corner and crease so you have the middle and the fabric is divided
into four sections by the creases. Do the same with the photocopy of
the pattern. Then place the applique pieces 'by eye' using a small
ruler to check.

also when I was sewing on July's block I found out it is backwards.. as
is Septembers. ( this I think it how I cut out my interfacing.. and I will
have to turn it around the next time. ( correct?)

Yep - always doing that. I am so hopeless at getting it right that I
have a trial run with a piece of paper I mark with arrows and a piece
of the applique material!!

I started this about on the 5th and became ossopessed with appliqué until I
was finished.. I was worried that I would not be able to finish until NOV.
A lot of hours and a lot of work, but I did love it.. and now I cannot wait
until November's blocks come out so I can take what I have learned, and
relax while making the block.

Yes, I find applique addictive - perhaps because I really do prefer
hand sewing

So what does everyone else think should I redo Februarys-Aprils blocks?
Please look at the stitching too
what can I do better, is it correct? I need input!!

Couldn't really see the stitching, but I use blind stitching like
Marcia Hohn
http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...ltingfour.html
and it really vanishes into the fabric if you do the stitches small
enough.

Now I can relax and get back to my green and purple quilt making LOL

Green and purple sounds good!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 21st 05, 03:46 AM
Polly Esther

The blocks are all wonderful. We are so proud of you. Atta girl. Yipee.
I just can not wait to see it all put together. Polly

Old October 21st 05, 01:55 PM
Roberta Zollner

You have every right to be proud! And as the man said, people who don't make
mistakes don't make anything.

I am no applique expert, still learning, but having tried freezer paper and
other techniques, I find the old-fashioned needle turn method works best for
me. (Unless it's really big shapes that can easily be sewn RST wth a
backing, turned RSO and pressed for machine applique.) It took me a looong
time to be even mildly satisfied with my needleturn efforts, but now I like
it! As for placement, needleturn makes it easy. Tape the paper base pattern
to a window or light box. Tape the background fabric over it. Then you can
match the drawn outline on your patches exactly to the spot on the pattern
and pin in place.
Roberta in D

Old October 25th 05, 05:49 PM
Kerensa

WOW your blocks are gorgeous!!!
--
Hugs,
Kerensa

My Quilting Photos
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/a_web_junkie/my_photos
"Christina in Ok" wrote in message
I am so proud of myself.. I have finished all of the blocks and I am now
ready for Novembers
( you can see there here)
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/RCTQ-BOM

Applique blocks from HE*& Marcella Peek Quilting 14 October 23rd 05 12:43 AM
AUGUST'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 12 August 4th 05 12:53 AM
July BOM joysjane Quilting 6 June 30th 05 05:08 PM
MAY'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 27 May 2nd 05 05:57 AM
APRIL'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 48 April 2nd 05 04:50 PM