2006 Projects?

Old December 30th 05, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Fabric 2006 Projects?

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:31:10 GMT, "Pat P"
wrote:

Depends whether you get a basic one or a multi-function, Vic, and they`re
more expensive over here anyway!

Pat P

I guess I forget who lives where. The investment in the keyboard
cover really does solve every problem. About once in a few months I
remove it and really give the thing a good wash. The keyboard
underneath is immaculate and like new. About every three or five
years we replace the keyboard covers as they eventually break down and
get sticky...or so it seems. It may be because I wash them with
detergents. Okay, so I'm a little anal retentive.
Old December 30th 05, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:34:58 GMT, "Pat P"
wrote:

Me too - now, but I`ve always had a hankering to get back to a Mac. Always
loved them since I used them when I worked at BT. Trouble is that
everything I use now is PC orientated - yes I KNOW you can get Mac
alternatives for most things, but not for everything.

Pat P

My artist friends all have Mac's. They all say for editing and design
work there's nothing as good as a Mac. I mean for art presentations,
slide shows of portfolios, etc. What do I do? I go here and check
email and surf the web and shop, but that has to end since I no longer
have a card...but he forgets PayPal is registered and I can still use
that! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Old December 30th 05, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:48:25 -0500, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

Hey, I fully understand the cordless, no worries. I now have a whole
cordless computer which I wear in a holster on my waist! And this one
is 17 inch widescreen!

And here I thought you said you lost weight! LOL!

Elizabeth (intrigued, actually)

I think this baby weighs 8 pounds, about. It's actually a desktop
replacement. It is so funny when I bring it on planes when traveling.
The thing is so gigantic that in order to watch a movie, which I
always do, I have to sort of fold it up a bit and hold it on an angle.
It's a whole production to watch a movie, but I am determined. It
would have been a whole lot cheaper to buy a portable DVD player lol
Old December 30th 05, 02:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:14:21 -0500, "Lucille"
wrote:

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message

"Gill Murray" wrote
Well, when I met Sheena, she sounded like a "mild" Canadian to me.

Mild?? Mild????
Now I'm the one with coffee all over the keyboard.
Dawne, who would pick Sheena to be on my side in any battle with any
weapon
any time

I would pick her as well, so who would we find to fight?

The Denim's against the Chambrays?
Old December 30th 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default 2006 Projects? and federally mandated breaks

Love the comment about "mom" voice. I was one of three female officers on
Air Force Base years ago (others were Nurse and ATC). We all used to
practise our "mom" voices to use on "recalcitrant toddlers" - who were
usually PILOTS!! The nurse was best at this. She was an ex-nun, and the
only Major I ever saw publicly rebuke a one star General and get away with
it!
--

Cheryl in Oz

"lisa.pauley" wrote in message
Oh, Sue, I've often felt the same way. In the movie "Pushing Tin," with
Billy Bob Thornton and John Cusak as air traffic controllers, it's not a
coincidence that the only controller with an outside hobby (other than
bbqing and pursuing other controllers' wives) is the sole female ATCS. Of
course, she competes in female fitness competitions, *that's* totally
realistic! ;-)

Most of the guys I work with don't have much other than work, home, and
poker (not that there's anything wrong with poker, lol!), and some
consider themselves ill used. I took the test *because* I was a single
mom and wanted a career with great benefits and health care so I could
take care of my son. And I juggled taking care of him, and my needlework,
theatre, running, other family obligations, husband, eventual second son,
working on my Master's degree, etc, etc. Go figure. ;-) Of course, I'm
preaching to the choir on this board, I'm sure!

And the air traffic controller workforce is still only made up of 5-7%
female controllers. The FAA won't release the exact figure, so that
number's based on my personal experience and my years as a member of the
Professional Women Controllers organization.

Another reason I've always thought that women make excellent ATCSs, other
than being used to juggling their lives, is that we realize that we really
don't *control* anything. Like with a recalcitrant toddler, a pilot who
doesn't want to listen really doesn't *have* to listen. I mean, what can
I do in that exact moment, really? So I have to make the pilot believe
that listening to me and doing what I say is in his best interest. And
sometimes I have to use my "mom" voice (as a wise supervisor taught me
early in my career), as in, you *will* listen to what I say right now or
you will be very very unhappy in the very near future!

Sometimes the guys get really angry and frustrated with the pilots because
they really believe that they control what is going on, when we're really
choreographers working with the laws of gravity and propulsion and physics
and, most importantly, with human beings.

Lisa

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
lisa.pauley wrote:
Sorry, I'm a little late on this whole "federally mandated break"
thread, but I do have a career where all of my co-workers and I take
federally mandated breaks. I'm an air traffic controller.

Many years ago, back when Reagan was busting up the air controllers'
union and it was in the news about how stressful and high-pressure a job
it was, I remember a conversation with DFIL (a university professor) in
which he expressed admiration for one of his female post docs who was
great in the lab and had an active family life with several young
children. He said, "I don't know how she does it. She's constantly busy
taking one kid here and getting another from here and school's suddenly
cancelled and plans change, and she keeps it all in balance and is really
good at her job, too."

Being a mother of three myself, and plenty busy even without an
academic/scientific career, I replied, "I always wondered why they made
men the main air traffic controllers. Women juggle stuff every day and
keep all the balls in the air, and nobody thinks anything of it, but for
men they say it's SO stressful and such a hard job. They should make
women air traffic controllers! We're constantly juggling and avoiding
crises!"

He said, "You know, I never thought of it that way."

Sue

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
http://www.dirtylinen.com

Old December 30th 05, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:42:36 GMT, Gill Murray
wrote:

Do you speak with a Scottish brogue?

Not so much a Scottish brogue as a (don't kill me, I'm kidding) a forked
tongue. ;*)))))))

Now I am wondering what to make of that lol

Well, when I met Sheena, she sounded like a "mild" Canadian to me.
However I have a terrible time telling between the various accents. Most
of my canadian friends, like Sheena, sound totally normal . Rather like
me and my correct English accent, overwhelmed by America: maybe we speak
alike, Sheena. CanAngUslish!!

Gillian

Go with mid-Atlantic Gillian, it somehow sounds more cosmopolitan,
worldly, sophisticated - yeah, that's us!

Sure, Sheena........................I can go with that...........just
MAYBE??????
Old December 30th 05, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I received my card from Elections Canada this a.m. plus one other.
When they called to enumerate, with a straight face I said the other
person who lived here was Bucket Mackenzie. So he received his card
too. I think I might frame his.

I think you should take Bucket to the poll, along with his card and his
rabies certificate as ID, and demand he be allowed to vote. (He's not a
Conservative, is he????)
Dawne

Old December 30th 05, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Jangchub" wrote
I would pick her as well, so who would we find to fight?

The Denim's against the Chambrays?

But, but..... what would we wear?? As Mirjam pointed out, olive-coloured
clothes are called uniforms, but if they are olive they can't be denim,
unless they're woven with a white thread, .....
I'm confused. Let's just paint ourselves blue (maybe denim blue) and get
some bagpipers.
Dawne

Old December 30th 05, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jangchub wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:46:58 -0500, Tia Mary
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

Phew, I was having so much angst not knowing. What a relief.

Are we being feces -- sorry that should be facetious -- now, HMMMM? I
am just sooooo pleased that I could alleviate your angst. Knowledge is
such a wonderful thing, donchathink?

Geesh, I was making a funny! Of course knowledge is a good thing.
You missed the other thousand posts on the subject. Far as I could
see, nobody said anything about feces till you entered. Everyone
handled the argument pretty well till now. I don't even think anyone
was ****ed off!

OY, the pain!!! I know I missed the thousand other posts and said so in
my posts to this thread. As for the feces remark -- well, if you didn't
get it, I can't explain it! Then again, maybe you don't "get" the
similarity in the sound of the two words.
A lot of the posts I have been reading -- those that were written
well into the life of the thread -- seemed pretty nasty to me. Maybe
people aren't ****ed off in your mind, but it sure seems that way to
MOI!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old December 30th 05, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Linda D. wrote:
..... I'm sure a Levi rep told us that however it is they make their denim
they've copyrighted/patented it or whatever. I honestly can't
remember what that was all about, but I recall something about the
quality of their denim between the red tabs and the orange tabs.
Hmmm...could it be quality of the cotton. I know there is definitely
a big price difference!

take care, Linda

That would make sense. There are always long involved discussions
over at RCTQ about the quality of the fabrics available. You can get
the exact same printed fabric at Wally World for about $4.00/yard that
you see in Quilt shops for $8.00/yard. It's made by the same company
and everything but it is NOT the same quality. The basic cotton fabric
that is used (I think the term is greig (sp) goods) is of different
weights. While the PRINT on the fabric might be the same the "hand" of
the fabric is totally different. The stuff at the LQS will have a
softer "hand" and be tightly woven with more threads per inch while the
stuff at Wally World is comparatively coarse and more loosely woven.
I am sure the same is true for all sorts of denim and chambray. I
had not remembered that the denim used in jeans had the white thread in
one direction with blue threads going in the other direction. Instead
of calling chambray stuff "denim" we could be calling denim "chambray"
since the definition I got from the dictionary and the Google sources
said that chambray has white threads as the ground with blue threads
woven over it!! Nothing was said about the type of weave used :-).
CiaoMeow ^;;^