Raku glaze marred by combustibles

Old January 16th 04, 03:21 AM
Cindy Ginter

Default Raku glaze marred by combustibles

Does anyone have any great ideas to minimize getting impressions in the
glaze (paper marks, sawdust dents etc). Seems like I have at least one pot
that gets the extra texture of the combustible material and I would like to
control this whenever possible!

Old January 17th 04, 12:16 AM
Steve Mills

Make sure your bin of combustibles is at least 10 paces away from the
Kiln, and when you are going there with you fired and red-hot piece walk
SLOWLY. When you take the piece out of the Kiln the glaze is very soft
and vulnerable, walking slowly allows the glaze to form a *skin* which
will protect it from damage in post-firing reduction. Don't worry about
the work getting too cool; glazes are susceptible to reduction down to
400oC, and that's a 100 yard walk at least!

Steve
Bath
UK

In article ,
Cindy Ginter writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old February 22nd 04, 05:23 AM
GRF

Two methods:

1) Let the glaze cool more before placing it in the reduction chamber. This
is ok if you are using a crackle glaze, but if you are chasing coppers, not
a good idea.

2) Make sure the combustibles don't touch the piece. The combustibles don't
have to touch to create reduction. If you are using a trash can for a
reduction chamber, place a few brick on the bottom to set the piece on. You
can also make a mesh cylinder that is slightly smaller than your trash can.
Then place your paper, etc between the wall of the trash can and the mesh.
Then place your piece from the kiln inside the mesh sleeve, so the
combustibles don't touch.

Hopefully this helps.

--
Gary Ferguson
Raku Clay Artist

Raku Gallery at: http://www.garyrferguson.com
300+ Glaze Collection at: http://www.rakuglazes.com
Subscribe to Just Raku Newsletter at http://www.JustRaku.com
Just Raku Logowear at: http://www.cafepress.com/justraku
Got Raku? Wear it he http://www.cafepress.com/gotraku

Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
FAQ Raku part 1 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:10 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM