Am I missing something in this auction?

Old December 13th 04, 05:59 AM
Kalera Stratton

Bourbon is American whiskey from Kentucky, named after Bourbon county.
That aside, it tastes entirely different from Scotch or Irish or
Canadian whiskey... I have no idea why, though.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kalera Stratton
:

]Aright, if I didn't have to sheet-rock the shed today, I know what I'd
]be doing!
]
]Except with Kentucky bourbon instead of irish whiskey.

what's the difference in bourbon and whiskey?
i can never keep it all straight. it's just my version of "Irish
Coffee".

Old December 13th 04, 06:04 AM
Mystified One

Probably has something to do with local pollens, bacteria, and woods.
Everything used in making alcohol affects its flavoring.

Old December 13th 04, 06:05 AM
Kalera Stratton

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shrieking Thanks Su! Bookmarking this...

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Su/Cutworks wrote:
Kalera wrote:

Kentucky appears to be our Scotland, in that respect; not a huge state,
but man they have a lot of distilleries! I was just wishing I could find
a list.

Yeppers, having lived in Kaintuck for many years, and been the patron of a
few of their distilleries, I can vouch for that.

Here's some background on bourbon:

http://kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/ Scroll down to click on the 'I am over
21' bit. All small distilleries.

According to a tour of the Bourbon trail

"Anything aged less than two years or in a used barrel, distilled from less
than 51 percent corn or flavor-enhanced in any way, is just a whiskey."

http://www.freep.com/features/travel...0_20021020.htm It's a great
read... make sure to read about the Heavn Hill distillery fire. I remember
that well! We used to be able to buy the old barrels sawn in half to use
for planters. They are fairly scarce now but in the 70s they were dirt
cheap.

I love good Bourbon, it's really gorgeous stuff. Don't waste your time,
money or tastebuds on the cheap stuff, it's a waste.

*hic*

-Su

Old December 13th 04, 08:15 AM
Kathy N-V

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 0:59:59 -0500, Kalera Stratton wrote
(in message ):

Bourbon is American whiskey from Kentucky, named after Bourbon county.
That aside, it tastes entirely different from Scotch or Irish or
Canadian whiskey... I have no idea why, though.

Scotch is made from malted barley, while Bourbon is made from 51% -
79% corn. (More than 80% corn makes it "Corn Whiskey") Bourbon can
be made from a sour mash (smushed and wet corn that's been left
around for a while) or sweet mash (fresh smush). Also, Bourbon has
to be aged for at least two years in a new oak barrel that has been
charred on the inside. It's usually aged a lot longer than two years,
though.

Irish Whisky is distilled three times and heated with peat fires. It
is also made from barley, but unlike Scotch, the malted barley is
dried in a peat fired sealed kiln and ground with unmalted
(unsprouted) barley before making the mash. Irish Whisky is probably
the oldest, having been around since at least 500 AD. It is supposed
to be the smoothest of all whiskeys. It's also known as the "Water of
Life."

Scotch is made only from sprouted barley (malt) that is dried in an
open kiln heated with either peat or coal, or a mix of the two.
(depending on the secret recipe) It is aged in a cask for at least
three years, although most places age Scotch for much longer. From
what I can ascertain, the barrels are not charred, and don't
necessarily have to be oak. Most Scotch is blended, but the good
stuff isn't.

Canadian Whiskey seems to be the ******* child of all these things
(my apologies to Canadians). It can be made of corn or wheat, with
rye added, and maybe some malted or unmalted barley. There are no
government requirements for aging or grain content. The flavor is
supposed to be much lighter bodied than that of other whiskeys, and
is okay to use as a mixer in whiskey based cocktails.

Your intrepid reporter,

Kathy N-V

Old December 13th 04, 08:16 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kalera wrote:

Bourbon is American whiskey from Kentucky, named after Bourbon county.
That aside, it tastes entirely different from Scotch or Irish or
Canadian whiskey... I have no idea why, though.

Depends on the grain used as the base.

-Su

--
Tillerman eBay shop: http://stores.ebay.com/thetillermanbeads
Tillerman website: http://www.tillerman.co.uk

Old December 13th 04, 08:16 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kalera wrote:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shrieking Thanks Su! Bookmarking this...

You won't be upset if I tell you I've been to a few of them, and drank MUCH
more Bourbon than Scotch whisky?

:-)

-Su

Old December 13th 04, 09:21 AM
Kathy N-V

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 3:26:57 -0500, vj wrote
(in message ):

vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kathy N-V
:

Your intrepid reporter,

**LOL**
i love it.
intrepid?
i hope you didn't TRY all of these on the same day!!!!!!!

Oh no, I don't even drink alcohol. Years ago, I used to like a few
sips of a good single malt Scotch, and I love good bourbon. But with
all the meds I take, I haven't had a drink in years. I could count
the alcoholic drinks I've had since Amanda was born on one hand.

It's a pity it's so bad for me, because I really liked the taste of
quite a few alcohol containing beverages. I really liked my annual
glass of champagne on New Year's Eve. I'm glad that the liquor
indsustry doesn't depend on pople like me for their sales - they'd
have starved to death decades ago.

Kathy N-V

Old December 13th 04, 10:11 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kathy N-V wrote:

..... *fabulous precis of the magic liquid deleted for space*

Your intrepid reporter,

Now I have a thirst on me that would kill a horse!

Where's Ray?

-Su

Old December 13th 04, 10:11 AM
Su/Cutworks

vj wrote:

intrepid?
i hope you didn't TRY all of these on the same day!!!!!!!

It won't kill you. It may make you lose the power of speech but it won't
kill you. Much.

Irish whiskey can be excellent, but the peaty taste of many of the island
single-malts from Scotland is like pure, distilled heaven.

Mike, silly man that he is, asked again what I'd like for Christmas! I just
looked longingly at the Laphroaig that's almost empty and laughed. Men!

I wonder if he can make beads the colour of Laphroaig. Hmmm.... a bracelet
of clear pale ambers. Hollow ones. With a cap. That's it! A flask
bracelet!

-Su

Old December 13th 04, 01:53 PM
Su/Cutworks

vj wrote:

]Irish whiskey can be excellent, but the peaty taste of many of the island
]single-malts from Scotland is like pure, distilled heaven.

but . . . somehow, i don't think it would taste quite right mixed with
hot chocolate and coffee?????

Oh yes it does! It's funny that people will put terrible, cheap liquor into
a drink because they think it doesn't matter but it does. Why adulterate
good cocoa or coffee with icky liquor.

We went out boating one afternoon in the winter a couple of years ago with a
couple who shared locks with us. When the two boats were sitting in the
lock, the guy nipped inside and came out not too long after with tea and
whisky in a cup. Heaven! And it was quality single-malt. Good whiskey or
even whisky doesn't ruin anything.

]I wonder if he can make beads the colour of Laphroaig. Hmmm.... a

bracelet
]of clear pale ambers. Hollow ones. With a cap. That's it! A flask
]bracelet!

**LOL** love it!

Since I order the glass for him, next time we have a few spare squid I'll be
looking in the autumnal/earthtone family of glass. :-)

-Su