Contemplating siggie swap

Old October 26th 05, 06:55 PM
Georg

Default Contemplating siggie swap

C & S wrote:
You're probably right on that one. We are new and are looking for
suggestions on how to handle this. Melissa did come up with a good one. If
I do this continent and Cheryl does the others, perhaps that would eliminate
some cost. Still thinking about all this and looking for suggestions to
make it work efficiently and cheaply.

If you are thinking of doing one continent at a time, it's still hard to
get international with it. How are people on one continent going to get
the siggie blocks of the other people? Will you volunteer to send half
the siggies to each other to complete the swap, and possibly have to eat
that expense? Something to think about.

-georg
Old October 26th 05, 06:57 PM
Georg

Anne in CA wrote:
First off, count me in if you do have one :-)

Now for my $.02US

1. Just a muslin square is a bit boring to me. And I, for one, would
probably never make it up into anything. There was a siggy swap just as
I joined RCTQ that was IIRC rail fence with the sender's two favorite
colors as top and bottom rail and muslin with siggy as center.

2. I like your suggestion of maybe a log cabin with siggy (4"?) in
center, or a snowball done in a similar manner. Or how about a square
in a square? -- in any case, something pretty simple but still
incorporating the sender's fabrics and colors.

I thought it would be easier and more unique if everyone did what they
liked. It would certainly make it interesting. But that'll be up to
those who host and what rules they would like to make.

3. For international postage, maybe you could set up a PayPal account
that the international people could pay into. Not sure how that works
outside the US. I got the idea from the news.individual.net site that we
now have to pay for. Since we would be getting back just what we were
sending out, it should be easy to figure out how much the postage would
be, or is that too simple??

I think that is a good idea.

-georg
Old October 26th 05, 07:04 PM
Tina

I like the PayPal account idea also. This way, anyone who could, was
in a position to or just wanted to, could put in a little extra for the
internationals. I would. It would definitely be worth it to me to
insure I got some from around the world!

I also prefer the "your choice" kind of thing on the siggy block to the
just plain muslin. But would be happy with whatever I got from others.

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 26th 05, 07:15 PM
C & S

"Anne in CA" wrote in message
First off, count me in if you do have one :-)

Now for my $.02US

1. Just a muslin square is a bit boring to me. And I, for one, would
probably never make it up into anything. There was a siggy swap just as
I joined RCTQ that was IIRC rail fence with the sender's two favorite
colors as top and bottom rail and muslin with siggy as center.

I would agree with you. As I mentioned in a previous post, I did a siggie
exchange with a 10" piece of fabric and they are all sitting somewhere in
that closet of mine. And this was more than 6 years ago.

2. I like your suggestion of maybe a log cabin with siggy (4"?) in
center, or a snowball done in a similar manner. Or how about a square
in a square? -- in any case, something pretty simple but still
incorporating the sender's fabrics and colors.

With the log cabin you could do it paper piecing which would eliminate size
variance in size.

3. For international postage, maybe you could set up a PayPal account
that the international people could pay into. Not sure how that works
outside the US. I got the idea from the news.individual.net site that we
now have to pay for. Since we would be getting back just what we were
sending out, it should be easy to figure out how much the postage would
be, or is that too simple??

Melissa did mention that in a prior post and it is attractive. Cheryl and I
are beginners. We want to establish a rr and siggie swap starting the New
Year. This gives us plenty of time for us to come up with ideas and for all
you great folks to helps us out with your ideas.

Anyway, I'm in ...

Great!

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

Old October 26th 05, 07:20 PM
Roberta

Tina wrote:
I like the PayPal account idea also. This way, anyone who could, was
in a position to or just wanted to, could put in a little extra for the
internationals. I would. It would definitely be worth it to me to
insure I got some from around the world!

I also prefer the "your choice" kind of thing on the siggy block to the
just plain muslin. But would be happy with whatever I got from others.

Hugs,
Tina

Heck I even like the PayPal account idea for "local" postage. I had no
idea how to figure postage and what-not when I did a swap so I simply
enclosed a book of stamps lol.

Roberta (in VA)
Old October 26th 05, 07:38 PM
Pat in Virginia

Anne:
As I mentioned earlier, I was in the plain signature square swap.
I made a fantastic quilt with the plain squares, mixed with my
own colors of course. I really liked using my own design, and
choosing the colors and prints. Also, postal cost was reduced
this way.
The squares themselves are not boring. They are all decorated in
some fashion. Some have stamps, others embroidery, others just
colored ink motifs. All include the name, place, & nation of the
sender.
Just a thought. PAT

Old October 26th 05, 07:50 PM
teleflora

"Georg" wrote in message
.. .
So if I were to host an RCTQ siggie swap, what do I do about postage? This
is something that does baffle me. How would I cope with self-addressed
stamped envelopes from overseas? I know I could not afford to foot the
bill for everyone's international postage no matter how many FQs were
gained in exchange or whatever- it's still cash in the end that pays
postage.

I belong to an international card group and I used to participate in swaps
quite frequently. We used IRC's (International Reply Coupons) to handle
postage. I would purchase them here in the States and send them off with my
swap cards. The European or Australian hostess would then use the IRC's to
buy the postage back to the States. It's been awhile since I participated,
but I wouldn't think the rules have changed that much.

Of course, a fat quarter or two might entice some hostesses as well! Agr

Cindy

Old October 26th 05, 09:01 PM
Mika

"C & S" wrote in message

With the log cabin you could do it paper piecing which would eliminate
size
variance in size.

But not everyone does paper piecing so there would still be a variance in
the size of some blocks.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

Old October 26th 05, 09:46 PM
AliceW

I did a siggy swap last year (?) and it was really exciting! I posted
pix on my website along with lessons learned. You can see it on
www.ourcyberfamily.us and look for the link to the siggy swap. I just
fondled my squares the other day and have now purchased sashing, border
and backing fabric, so it looks like this one is near the top of the
UFO list for finishing.

I had several international swappers and we had worked out several
postage methods. Some provided postage, others provided fabric which
was ok with me. But I sure like the PayPal method that was suggested.

AliceW

Old October 26th 05, 09:49 PM
AliceW

Carole, how do we join the Yahoo group for the swap?

AliceW