Gordian Knot

Old April 1st 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Gordian Knot

A while ago someone mentioned seeing a Gordian Knot quilt or book. I
took a class today at my LQS and the class was based on Mary Whitehead's
book. My top, so far, is available for viewing at
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...30878969cfdslO

I plan to make a pieced border of the background (light green) edged
with the outline color(dark purple). Already it is whispering to me that
it wants to be hand quilted.

A word of warning -- using the book is *possibly* easier than drafting
your own pattern, but taking a class based on the book is probably the
best way. Ms Whitehead used the odd convention of giving all
measurements as *finished* size instead of *un*finished size. That can
really throw you off if you don't pay close attention. On the other
hand, with careful cutting, good organization (zip baggies are your
friend!), and guidance from a teacher who has made several of these, it
goes together quite well.

My top is 32" x 40", the "knots" are 2" wide finished and the outlines
are 1" wide finished. Class started at 10 am and most of us were
finished this far by 3 pm. That includes 45 minutes for the best Mexican
food on the peninsula.
--
Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
Old April 1st 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wow, Anne, this is great!

May I ask which LQS had the class? Since I'm pretty close by.

Lynnette in SJ

email is my first name followed by at following by idiom dot com

Old April 1st 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Anne in CA wrote:

A while ago someone mentioned seeing a Gordian Knot quilt or book. I
took a class today at my LQS and the class was based on Mary Whitehead's
book.

Wow, how weird... We spent Wednesday night
at the hospital because Rocky has RSV and
needed oxygen, breathing tube, blah blah blah.
The night respiratory guy saw that I was,
ahem, surfing the web (on their wireless
connection) and looking at quilt sites, so
he asked me if I quilted. I said yes, and
he said, "oh, my mother-in-law was a famous
quilter, have you heard of Mary Whitehead?"

So, I googled her and found her Gordian Knot
book, as well as her HST stuff and told him
about it (he was not a quilter).

And now, Anne mentions Mary Whitehead. How
cosmic.

-- Anita --
Old April 1st 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The class was at Eddie's Quilting Bee in Mt View. The instructor, Bev
Stookey is really good and just a hoot to take a class with or listen
to. Another LQS I have taken classes at is The Granary in Sunnyvale.

Old April 1st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

that's gorgeous!

--
-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com

Old April 1st 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Wish I could have been there. Sounds like a great class and the Gordian
Knot is just wonderful. Polly

"Kellie J. Berger" wrote in message
that's gorgeous!

--
-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com

Old April 1st 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I just love what a small world this is.

I'm betting you took the class from Queen Bev Stookey. She is so funny.

Mary Whitehead was a guild member who died shortly after I joined
Peninsula Quilters. There are quite a few of her patterns floating
around though her husband doesn't want them published. He say her
friends can teach them though. I didn't realize that there was an
actual book out there that she had published.

You did a very nice job on your quilt!

marcella

In article , "maryd" mardor@*net
wrote:

That is gorgeous, Anne.

--
Mary

Old April 1st 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Aw shucks, thanky ma'am. The pattern does all the work. I even managed
to use stash and not buy any fabric -- so far, there *are* still borders
to do ;-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq

Kellie J. Berger wrote:
that's gorgeous!

Gordian knot pattern Bob & Kathleen Quilting 8 October 6th 17 08:01 PM
Doubling of the Chinese Button Knot Brian G. Knots 3 February 25th 05 08:14 PM
Gordian knot HAWKNFROG Knots 3 February 4th 05 04:58 PM
Perfect Package Knot Announcement O J Knots 0 January 12th 05 09:26 AM
Terminology Brian Grimley Knots 13 June 28th 04 07:36 PM