Is anyone familiar with 100% hand-made silk embroidery from China?

Old April 9th 05, 11:56 PM
Silkembroideryman

Default Is anyone familiar with 100% hand-made silk embroidery from China?

I just discovered this unique, 2,000 year-old handicraft while
traveling in China last October. I have learned since then that it can
take anywhere from 2 months to 2 years by 1 or several embroiderers
combined to create a piece(or work). Also, artists take 1 silk strand
and split it into several thinner strands; the size depends on the
fineness of quality desired by the artist.

I have seen 'works' on the internet and in person. I am simply
impressed by silk embroidery works. In my opinion, their appearance
matches and even surpasses that of oil paintings. From up close, your
eye notices the intricate needlework stitching yet - from a distance -
it appears like a sharply, colorful 3-D photograph.

Is anyone familiar with or have experience with "silk embroidery"?
Would you like to learn more about this "Hidden Oriental Jewel"? If
yes to either question, I would love to hear from you.

Old April 10th 05, 02:34 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I am always interested in unusual embroideries. I have two Chinese silk
works and, yes, they are stunningly beautiful and meticulously stitched.

I have been corresponding with a gentleman who is studying Japanese
embroidery. The techniques are interesting to learn. Each Asian
country seems to have a similar technique. A book by Chung ("Painting
with a Needle") outlines many of the techniques. But it is difficult
and requires a LOT of practise and patience.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old April 11th 05, 01:45 AM
Lynda Wiener

I have no particular knowledge of the good stuff, though I have seen and
admired some exquisite pieces in museums. A few years back, the DeYoung
hosted the big Chinese art show, and I drooled over some of the
sumptuous and detailed work. I've seen pictures in books and on the
web, but never have touched any 'up close and personal'.

What I _have_ seen, in my years of retail adventures in the San
Francisco bay area, are some _very_ good, inexpensive, and plentiful
knock-offs. Many of the better Asian import stores carry beautiful,
contemporarily made textiles from China, including some gorgeous
embroidery and needlepoint.

The reason I write this is that of late, I have seen some of these
inexpensive pieces showing up on the internet auction sites and being
sold for prices that indicate that neither the buyer nor the seller know
what they are. It bothers me when I see something being sold for a
hundred dollars when I know I can run down to Chinatown and get it for
ten. So, just a word of warning...if you see something that you _just
love_ and want to buy...BE CAREFUL!

Lynda

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."

Trebizond Donna D. Needlework 8 July 3rd 04 07:28 AM
Surface Embroidery Kits - Designs Influenced by Wm Morris sewingsusan Needlework 12 June 17th 04 07:05 AM
Silk Floss Rhea Needlework 56 January 27th 04 08:05 PM