Which needle? help, desperate!

Old April 27th 04, 03:32 AM
Polly Esther

Default Which needle? help, desperate!

I was merrily stippling my hummingbird quilt. I kept pinging and popping
needles. Changed many times. My sweet Bernina will stipple on a sandwich (a
sandwich of just ordinary cotton fabric with the same batting) just fine so
the problem is not the SM. I have decided the needle popper is Kona Bay's
Dragonfly Woodcut that I used for the hummer's background. When I cross a
double thickness of the Dragonfly, ping and then clunk on the next stitch.
The Dragonfly fabric is a gorgeous white on ivory print. I suspect they got
too much thickener in the paint or whatever they used on the print.
The green band quilt needle will not survive many inches of this mean
fabric. I am wondering what else to try. Would you think a jeans needle or a
metallica or a stretch needle might have more success drilling through? Just
curious, I tried hand needling and found the same situation. You need a
hammer to get through.
This story gets worse. Not only are my hummingbirds surrounded by this
killer print, so is the baby quilt I recommended so highly for beginners.
Anyone who needs some fabric to rip up for kite tails is welcome to the
balance of my supply. Polly

Old April 27th 04, 03:42 AM
Leslie in Missouri

Hullo Polly
This is me under a new alias!
If you have one, I would try a jeans needle. I use one for all my
quilting (and piecing for that matter!)
Just a thought.
Pat (in the basement!)

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old April 27th 04, 03:54 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Okay, I don't have a Bernina, or much experience with machine
quilting...but...when I do machine quilt on my old Kenmore, I use a #18
needle, same as I would use for jeans or something else quite heavy. Which
is probably overkill but it works for me.

That fabric sounds awful to work with...but pretty!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

ink.net...

Old April 27th 04, 04:16 AM
Polly Esther

There I was, Pat. Trying to help you "Be Prepared" for all possible problems
on your trip and I never even thought about Leslie and her depravity. Just
no telling what you have learned from her. I sincerely apologize. Polly

Old April 27th 04, 04:18 AM
Polly Esther

Overkill? Yes. That sounds good. My mood is more like "kill" and I am so
slow to anger that you might wonder if I am breathing sometimes - but I will
give the jeans needle a shot at this. "A shot". I like that. Polly

Old April 27th 04, 06:54 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:32:24 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

[...]

Someone suggested that I try jeans needles for quilting and piecing
some time ago, and a nice woman in Canada sent me a packet of Schmetz
jeans needles, when I couldn't find any locally. I haven't looked
back since!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old April 27th 04, 12:53 PM
Julia Altshuler

I use a jeans needle as my all-over piecing, quilting and everything
needle. Consider other culprits for the problem: the batting, your
ability, and some combination between the two. Already an experienced
machine quilter, I was quilting a friend's quilt and kept breaking
needles. It turns out that I wasn't experienced with the polyester
batting she'd used so my movements weren't smooth, and that made my
needle stick in the batting and break.

--Lia

Old April 27th 04, 03:16 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...

The green band quilt needle will not survive many inches of this mean
fabric. I am wondering what else to try. Would you think a jeans needle or

metallica or a stretch needle might have more success drilling through?

Just
curious, I tried hand needling and found the same situation. You need a
hammer to get through.

Many swear by the denim (jeans) needle, although I'm a big fan of the
topstitch needle. Either one should do the trick. (crossing my fingers!)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old April 27th 04, 04:38 PM
Polly Esther

It seems there is no needle that will stitch through this stuff more than an
inch or two. I actually made a sandwich using the Dragonfly and saw very
quickly that when I was stitching on the blank areas, all was well. Once I
tried to stitch across the painted area we were in deep trouble.
Against my best judgment, I decided I would see what would happen if I
washed the quilt in something that might soften it up. I rejected using
gasoline although that does sometimes remove paint. Tried Oxyclean, Biz, hot
water and a long soak. The quilt is in the drier now. I believe the batt
where there is no stitching has survived just fine. I am hoping the paint is
tamed. We shall see. Polly

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote Many swear by the denim (jeans) needle, although

Old April 27th 04, 04:52 PM
Diana Curtis

I think this calls for more drastic measures. You may want to let the
gators soften it up by chewing it up a wee bit. .... or a 2x4 gently applied
to the more stubborn spots. Just trying to be helpful.
Diana

[...]

question about sewing with denim and faux furs. [email protected] Needlework 3 January 11th 05 08:37 PM
Punch Needle Embroidery lula Needlework 48 October 6th 04 03:33 PM
Tool Needed... Jim Long Knots 5 July 3rd 04 07:10 PM
Double needle problems georg Quilting 11 March 4th 04 01:26 PM
Punch Needle Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 3 September 15th 03 05:26 AM