Houston Winners

Old October 31st 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default Houston Winners

For those of us who didn't go and see them in person...

http://www.quilts.com/fqf07/enVivo/S...ts/IQAWinners/

enjoy!
marcella

Old October 31st 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

Thanks for the link!

I love squared illusions! Would love to see it closer up to see how
it's made.

Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\

Old November 1st 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Well, I'm going to be a stinker/party pooper and say I'm disappointed. I
don't care for Hollis Chatelain's work- a very, very talented artist but
no...... I think that 'quilt' is more a painting than a quilt- and the
quilting is far secondary to the painted 'picture' on the fabric quilt top.
I would be much more impressed if it was applique rather than painted.
Sorry. I guess I'm just an ol' grump. And, no, I am not against some
painted areas on a quilt (that is not meant for use on a bed) for the
purpose of enhancing the quilt, but when the whole thing is painted and then
quilted? Nope. Sorry..... that painting belongs on a canvas with a wood
frame around. IMO

Puttin' on my asbestos undies and running like heck!
--

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.
leslie AT spunkyladycreations DOT com

Old November 1st 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
janice142

On Oct 31, 6:37 pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

I would be much more impressed if it was applique rather than painted.
Sorry. I guess I'm just an ol' grump. And, no, I am not against some
painted areas on a quilt (that is not meant for use on a bed) for the
purpose of enhancing the quilt, but when the whole thing is painted and then
quilted? Nope. Sorry..... that painting belongs on a canvas with a wood
frame around. IMO

I hadn't noticed that ... it's not quilting as I know it. Now this one
is:

http://www.quilts.com/fqf07/enVivo/S...Dance.jpg.html

It is totally amazing. I have no idea (totally clueless) as to how it
was made, but gosh, it's amazing.
I guess I'm a simpleton. To me, quilting means using lots of bits of
fabric to create something... adding embellishments is one thing
entirely different (at least in my mind) to painting.

J, opinionated tonight.

Old November 1st 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Oh my! How I would love to get up close to 'Splendor in the Round'. I
would, I would. Polly

Old November 1st 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Picture do not even begin to do justice to Hollis Chatelain's quilts. She
had a quilt exhibited the year I went to the Houston show. I walked back by
it several times it was so striking. There is a lot of quilting in her
quilts - as I said pictures don't do her quilts justice!

Donna in Idaho

Old November 1st 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ms P

"Donna in Idaho" wrote in message
Picture do not even begin to do justice to Hollis Chatelain's quilts. She
had a quilt exhibited the year I went to the Houston show. I walked back
by it several times it was so striking. There is a lot of quilting in her
quilts - as I said pictures don't do her quilts justice!

Donna in Idaho

I saw one of her quilts up close too. There is just no way a photo will
even begin to do them justice. They're simply stunning. Most of the
"paint" is thread.

I knew this year's winner was her work before I saw the name!

Ms P

Old November 1st 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ms P

And what would you say if you knew the "paint" was mostly thread?? Applique
is easy compared to what she does.

Ms P

Old November 1st 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

When I saw Miss Chaelain's winning quilt at Houston a
few years ago, I was under the distinct impression that
the motifs were nearly all painted. There was lots of
excellent quilting, but I thought the quilting was
there to accent the motif, not to supply the motif. The
quilt I saw is the one that features how water affects
environment. It was mainly taupe and golden colored. I
can't speak about the composition of the current show
quilt. I do think it is beautiful art, but I prefer
quilt exhibits to feature art that is mainly based on
use of fibers and some embellishment.
PAT in VA/USA

Ms P wrote:

[...]

Paducah Winners! Marcella Peek Quilting 28 April 30th 05 09:33 PM
IQF Winners w/ Pics Ellison Quilting 11 November 10th 04 03:03 AM
HOUSTON IQF, was Houston Quilt Show Roll Call Kellie J. Berger Quilting 50 October 27th 04 01:40 AM
Birthday Winners starlia Beads 30 September 19th 04 04:44 AM
Contest winners LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 September 8th 03 12:06 AM