OT reception planning

Old October 16th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default OT reception planning

And I have to last long enough to GET there!!!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Patti" wrote in message
Thanks for your reassurance Kathyl!
I have to last long enough to get you over here anyway g
.
In message gD1Ri.157425$Fc.154068@attbi_s21, KJ
writes
Ahhhhh don't take it so hard. I also thought it was a very cool idea when
heard about it. Then over the past few years (probably because I've been
paying closer attention) I've heard some of the more negative stories.
I've
even seen some cute packaging for these cameras. Multiple packs of them
and
they were all mostly white, rather then the obnoxious yellow and black
that
they often are. I think you'll survive a lot longer Pat. ;-)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old November 2nd 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Kay

I went to three weddings over the summer- 1 niece and 2 were friends of our
children. Another niece was a bridesmaid in all 3.

1. The bridesmaids will be happier if their dresses can be worn again as
party dresses, and if they have some say in the colors/styles. It is an
honor to be asked to be bridesmaid, but it is a big expense, too.

2. Think twice about making dresses-then say NO! Bad enough if you have to
do any last minute alterations or repairs. If dresses are altered by the
store, ask for all the scraps. They will be a big help in matching shoes,
ribbons, etc. Chances are at least one member of the wedding party will be
"into" scrapbooking and can use bits to make special pages for a memory
book.

3. Some photographers are really intrusive. Because they make more money the
more pictures they sell they can be worse than paparatsi. My niece wanted
pictures and the photographers were everywhere. On the other hand-at one
wedding a friend took a video of the ceremony but he didn't understand the
camera and it didn't come out. If pictures are important to you, plan ahead
and set down rules.

4. Music- Live band, DJ, or a friend playing the couple's & your own
favorite CDs. Volume is important. If it is too loud, nobody will be able to
talk without yelling. If is is too soft no one will know it's there.

5. Leftovers- It is very hard to get a firm RSVP from people. IMO It is
better for latecomers to go hungry than to end up with a ton of food you
have paid for and nobody ate- but that is just me. My niece had enough
leftover food to eat the same things for a month, if it would have lasted
that long.

6. Don't forget the cost of cleanup after the event. Even at the church you
can expect some mess afterward. Most places have rules about rice & such, so
don't waste money & effort on it if you can't use it.

--
Please note that we have been assigned a NEW email address and update your
records. The new email address is . Thank you.
"KJ" wrote in message
DD and I are going to make an appointment with the wedding reception
planner at the local country club. I have the package plans but I have no
clue what to look out for in the pricing and selections. Does anyone have
any hints, suggestions or pitfalls to avoid? The reception will include
alcohol. DD has basically looked at it all and thought...hey that looks
good and wanted to do it all by email. I'm a bit more skeptical and want
to meet her in person and talk things over face to face. DH thinks all
this is foolish, so the $$ is going to be a bone of contention to some
extent. Maybe I should say, he'll gripe about it and do whatever we come
up with. She and I aren't over the top extravagant types, so he doesn't
have to worry about going into the poorhouse.
So? What have you done that you wish you hadn't.....or had?? I'm
listening.
Thanks.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old November 5th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

All good ideas Jane. I especially like that they are all based on
experience! I'm saving all these notes in a special file. Thanks

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old November 5th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Jane Kay wrote:
2. Think twice about making dresses-then say NO!

That depends on your dressmaking skill, the type of dress, the time you
have, how convenient it will be for you to get together with the girls
for fittings, and probably some other stuff as well. I made all the
bridesmaid's dresses for my daughter's wedding 4 years ago. She chose a
simple pattern, I measured carefully, and was able to fit them a couple
times. The bridesmaids reimbursed me for the cost of the dresses; I
think it came to about $50 each, so they saved quite a bit of money. I
am retired and DD was doing the bulk of the wedding planning, so I had
plenty of time. I used a washable polyester satin, so there will be no
cleaning bills if they want to wear them again. The girls all said they
thought these were dresses they could wear again; the dresses were two
piece -- simple sleeveless top and long skirt, so they could separate
the pieces to wear again. Pictures at
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/Wedding.html.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 5th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Very, very traditional around here to have cake & drinks, not a meal,
at the reception. Even the most Formal Weddings often have
cake & "light refreshments", and that's it. (also my preference)

Lots of expensive merchandising in the wedding industry.
;-)

R/Sandy-- just thinking of all the quilt stuff that $$$$$ would buy g
& wishing the Euro weren't so far ahead of the dollar...

On 11/5/07 8:13 AM, in article lyFXi.186843$Fc.148172@attbi_s21, "KJ"
wrote:

All good ideas Jane. I especially like that they are all based on
experience! I'm saving all these notes in a special file. Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
snipping

5. Leftovers- It is very hard to get a firm RSVP from people. IMO It is
better for latecomers to go hungry than to end up with a ton of food you
have paid for and nobody ate- but that is just me. My niece had enough
leftover food to eat the same things for a month, if it would have lasted
that long.

Pre-planning LNSs. Gill Murray Needlework 8 April 2nd 07 08:56 PM
Rod N Reel as a reception site Jamie Pollard General Crafting 2 February 26th 05 09:53 PM
Accomplishments in the waiting/reception area.... Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 10 April 16th 04 01:18 AM
Project planning Bungadora Beads 25 March 30th 04 08:12 AM
Planning, dreaming... Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 15 December 12th 03 03:17 AM