OT - Let the Christmas Parties Begin!

Old December 19th 03, 09:50 PM
Sharon Harper

Default OT - Let the Christmas Parties Begin!

Tonight marks the official start of my Christmas Party Season - last week
was easy - only 2 nights out. Tonight is DH's work christmas do, tomorrow
is the big "family" (well DH's family) do (only about 70 people), Monday
night is the annual street christmas BBQ, Tuesday is, I think, a night off,
and Wednesday, a bunch of us are going up to the local playground to tire
out the kids (and DH) so that the mum's can have a break. Hopefully I will
survive so that I can enjoy my DSMIL's cooking on The Day!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old December 19th 03, 10:59 PM
KittyG

So in other words this marks the start of the Officially Sanctioned
Food-A-Thon this time of year is notorious for. LOL Sounds like you're
going to have fun, especially with Other People doing the cooking This is
a very important point. I, for one, think that makes everything taste
better! Which is good because one way or another I won't be able to even
see my kitchen counters for about a week, I don't suppose anyone wants to
feed me?

Have fun Sharon!

kitty in phx

--
Remove "s" and "i" in email to respond.
http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee
u...

Old December 19th 03, 11:03 PM
Sharon Harper

LOL - yep my MIL's cooking is great, she does a mean roast pork crackling
(my favourite) but only complaint is there is never enough to go round. Oh
well! I have promised myself this year that I will not go overboard but I
will not deny myself either. If I can get over chrissy/new year by
maintaining my weight I will be ecstatic. Happy too! LOL. Gotta go
hairdressers!

Old December 19th 03, 11:31 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sharon: When this OT list of eating tips arrived I thought about
posting it here, but was uncertain. After reading your
Proclamation Opening the Christmas Party Season, I think it
belongs here. I do not know who wrote it, but I got it from a
friend in VA. Enjoy! Grins, PAT in VA/USA

Holiday Eating Tips:

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday
buffet
table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see
carrots,
leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum
balls.
2. Drink as much eggnog as you can, and quickly. Like fine
single-malt
scotch, it's rare. You can't find it any other time of year
but now. So
drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip?
It's not as
if you're going to turn into an eggnog-aholic or something. It's
a treat.
Enjoy it. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!
3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole
point of
gravy.
Gravy does not stand-alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of
your mashed
potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.
4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with
skim milk or
whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a
sports car
with an automatic transmission.
5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to
control
your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to
eat other
people's food for free.
Lots of it. Hello?
6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and
New
Year's.
You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do.
This is the
time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet
table while
carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.
7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table,
like
frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa,
position yourself
near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before
becoming the
center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If
you leave
them behind, you're never going to see them again.
8. Same for pies. Apple. Pumpkin. Mincemeat. Have a slice
of each.
Or, if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one
pumpkin. Always
have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert?
Labor Day?
9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with
the
mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I
mean, have some
standards.
10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave
the party
or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention.
Reread all of
the tips. Start over, but hurry. January is just around the
corner.
Old December 19th 03, 11:42 PM
Diana Curtis

I love this!
but what does this say about me? I plan to try to emulate my late moms
glazed carrots for the Christmas Eve dinner. ...
I have one correction to this list. The Christmas tree shaped cookies are
always the largest. Hit those first.
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old December 20th 03, 01:10 AM
D&D

This one DH will definately agree with. He will not eat carrots at all. If
any one serves carrots up to him he will sit there and pick out every speck
before eating his meal

Dee in Oz

"Pat in Virginia" wrote

Old December 20th 03, 01:15 AM
Martha in IN

Pat,
I love this, I got it today from a friend and thought about posting and
never got around to it.Glad you did it.
Martha

Old December 20th 03, 02:00 AM
nzl*

uh oh, dont ever invite me over for xmas dinner and tell me to bring a
plate.
at the guild xmas meeting, we all brought a plate of food to share.
last year i took my rum truffles and ended up taking some home, might be cuz
i put so many out, who knows.
this year was in a hurry, not organized so i took carrot sticks and thick
slices of cucumber and green olives on a tray, they all disappeared. could
it have been the dip someone put next to them? hmmm, perhaps, who knows.
i try to fill my plate with a mix of the good for ya food and the not so
good for ya foods. how else can i splain to santa why i feel like crap...ate
too much whipped cream, cookies, truffles, fruitcake, arghhhhhhh. anything
with whipped cream is my worst enemy, i can not resist it.
i need a nap just thinking of it all over again, lol.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/album/91769946izXrSp

Old December 20th 03, 04:11 AM
frood

If they have enough glazing, it hides the fact that they are carrots.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply