ATTN Lisa Caryl

Old January 23rd 04, 04:46 AM
Karlee in Kansas

Default ATTN Lisa Caryl

I saw one of your posts, and I couldn't resist clicking on your link in
your siggy line (I can't resist most links BTW)....and found your photos.

Oh WOW. I'm speechless. You do some of the absolute best crazy quilting
and embroidery that I've ever ever ever seen. Makes me want to learn to do
it (specially the flowers), but, but, but, I don't know if I have the time
or the ability....either way, your work is *incredible*.

Thought I'd let you know.
Hugs,
Karlee in Kansas
Queen of Packrats

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly
used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Old January 23rd 04, 01:49 PM
Diana Curtis

I think youre right about her work. It is absolutely great! You do realize
that now that you have expressed an interest in CQ she will hound you to the
ends of the earth to get you to try it. And why not.... its fun stuff!
Really, its not all that hard to do and Lisa is great about giving a helping
hand, and encouragement. After all, she teaches classes on the subject!
Did the doll tempt you too?
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old January 23rd 04, 04:07 PM
Lisa Caryl

Well Thank you Karlee!
What a surprise to come home from work this morning and find such a lovely
note. :-)

lol....you don't FIND the time for cq, you MAKE the time for it. I think I
love it so much because there are so many different elements to it-I never
get bored! You can paint, embroider, bead, dye stuff, oh, did I mention
beads?? ;-D well....the list goes on and on and on...there are no limits on
what you can do.

Of course you have the ability! Anyone who can hold a needle in their hand
can do this. It's not hard, and the best part of it is you do what you want,
and it's finished when you say it's finished. Some people do only seam
embroidery, others encrust their cq pieces so much that you can barely see
the base fabrics. (I think I'm somewhere in between that). There is a wealth
of great information on the internet and there are some wonderful books as
well-some pricey, some not. Let me know if you need the links I have,or want
a list of my favorite cq related books. And if you're really, truly
interested in making a block, I 'll send ya a cq squishie and my notes from
the cq conference that I taught at. :-)

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

Old January 23rd 04, 06:41 PM
Karlee in Kansas

I'd adore it...all of it, links book titles, hints, tips.....G I have my
hand in the pot so to speak on a lot of different craft types, but sewing
is my first and most intense passion.

Any direction is appreciated, TY!!

Eager student,
Karlee in Kansas (mnkbrennan @ charter . net do the obvious to reply)

Old January 23rd 04, 07:12 PM
Lisa Ellis

Lisa,

I really liked your minature 30's quilts. I did the same thing with
some of my 30's scraps. My favorite two were a minature 4 patch and one
with three columns of squares, set together with a cream colored solid
and yellow border. They were a great way to use small pieces...

Anyway, it isn't a surprise to me that there is some similarity in our
work, as we share a name :-)

lisae, aka Lisa Ellis

Old January 23rd 04, 08:25 PM
Lisa Caryl

Hi Lisa!
My, my, you have such a pretty name! ;-D

Thank you! I would love to see your minis if you have them posted somewhere.
Aren't they fun?

I love being able to use even the smallest pieces for these little
projects.The 30's scraps I have are truely that...scraps that are very, very
small.

If I'm ever able to get back to it again, I would love to do a 4 patch in a
strippy setting, and I'd like to do some kind of mini applique-maybe a 30's
style butterfly or a vine with leaves that are blanket stitched in black.
Prolly will be a long time til I can get to it...but never say never!

Old January 23rd 04, 08:42 PM
Lisa Ellis

Lisa,

Sadly, my mini's aren't posted anywhere, except on someone's walls. I
gave them to my quilt club's auction. I may have some slides, but don't
have the pictures in an electronic format...

The vine idea sounds like fun. I would only have patience for that in a
mini format.

By the way, if it is not being too nosy, how old are you? The thing is
I know a lot of Lisa's (there are four of us at my climbing gym), but
they are all younger than I am. My father said that he was the vangaurd
of the middle class. He bought a station wagon, then every one bought a
station wagon; he named me Lisa, everyone named their daughter Lisa.

lisae

Old January 23rd 04, 09:45 PM
Lisa Caryl

Hi again Lisa,

Well, perhaps I'll get to see some of your work another time. How generous
of you to donate your quilts to your quilting group's auction. My local
group is loosely organized (no auctions or shows) so we do baby quilts for
our county's sheriff's department, and women's shelter and sometimes Target
House (associated with St. Jude's).

I can see the vine quilt in my mind's eye....a center panel with a main vine
in the center, with smaller branches coming out of the center vine with all
different colors of leaves. Then, a narrow inner border of mmm..some solid
color, then a wider border with a vine and more leaves, then back out to a
narrow solid color border. Wish I had time to make it come to life.

Oh, no problem sharing my age....I hit the big 4-0 on February 18th. I used
to worry about birthdays until someone pointed out the alternative to them
was being 6ft under. I've been happily turning older ever since. Birthdays
should be the least of a person's problems IMO.

My mom says that she named me Lisa to be somewhat after my grandmother,
who is named Alice. mmm...similar, but not quite the same...I don't really
know how she came up with my middle name, which is Lynn. On a side note, my
DH is one of 5 children. He has one brother who is married...to...can you
guess? Another Lisa! I can't quite remember how old she is, but she's maybe
4-6 years older than I am, I think.

Old January 23rd 04, 09:52 PM
Lisa Ellis

Hi,

I think it is time for me to consider a digital camera.

I am 51. It is funny, I've yet to meet another Lisa who is older than
me. anyway, I have no idea why my parents named me Lisa. My first
name is Marilyn, but they never called me Marilyn, always Lisa. I'll
have to ask my Dad.

lisae

Lisa Caryl wrote:

[...]

Attn: Caren/Craftology Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 0 September 20th 04 05:08 PM
ATTN: Tina Christina Peterson Beads 0 August 15th 04 07:28 PM
OT Att. Lisa re watch crystals Lisa Beads 2 August 4th 03 06:25 PM