The UltraQuilter - User opinions wanted please

Old April 8th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default The UltraQuilter - User opinions wanted please

First of all, NAYY!!!! I saw this at my guild show yesterday and I am Quite
interested in it. I haven't seen anything like this yet, but then again, I
haven't been seriously shopping before I saw this thing. I was wondering if
anyone here Has one, or knows someone who Has one. User experiences are
always the best kind of references for me. Basically, it's a three part
system, and you don't need ALL the parts, but that's what works the best.
There is (1) a wooden 8' quilt frame and wooden machine base with metal
one-piece rails and metal tracks on a wooden table, (2) a simple Juki
machine with a deep throat, and just a few stitches (or so I saw) and (3) a
Stitch Regulator (the big hook!!). The whole system was around $2500. Quite
a chunk, but maybe worth saving for. The regulator really got me, I just
moved the base around from below and the machine sewed beautifully. I'm
taking DH back today for another look. I hadn't considered a machine/frame
setup before, but the cost of "having them done" is going up so much for
nice work, that it might be worth the investment.

I'll post the web site below. I'd really like to hear from any current, or
previous owners on things like reliability, warranty issues, stability.
Basically, was it worth the investment.

Also, if anyone knows of similarly (or lower priced!) setups with a
regulator, I'd LOVE to hear about them. No offense to HQ owners, but I
personally don't care for the acrylic stuff. It just doesn't seem long term
sturdy or stable. I personally own a Viking Lily, not the machine for a
frame - not enough throat room, so it would need to be a setup for another
machine.

Ok, here's their site: www.bradleyquiltco.com - I wasn't terribly impressed
with their site, photos don't work well, grammar is not great, etc., but
they may be very new at this. If they're a new company, maybe I should wait
until they are established before plunking down the change. Anyway, any
input is greatly appreciated!!

Lorraine in La Center

Old April 8th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Lorraine, the women at my LQS are crazy for this machine and this system. I
haven't used it, but I know of at least 3 people who have purchased the
whole thing in the last year and I haven't heard any complaints. I think
one woman, who just ordered one got a bunch of free thread? Another woman
just bought the Viking Megaquilter system, but she told me she wishes she
had purchased the Juki.

They talked about the website. I don't think the guy is interested in
computers or the internet, but knows he has to do it. But he builds good
systems and for serious quilters (they all are), it seems to suit them.

I will put it this way: If I had room and was looking to purchase a system,
this is the one I would buy.

HTH,
Cindy

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/cindypucci

Old April 8th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"TwinMom" wrote in message
First of all, NAYY!!!! I saw this at my guild show yesterday and I am
Quite interested in it.

Don't have one, not looking for one, etc etc etc. But, please make sure you
try it out thoroughly before buying. I know you're excited about it (I would
be too!), but try to put that excitement aside for a second and evaluate the
purchase carefully. (Kind of like buying a car.)

How smoothly does the machine move on the tracks? Really pay attention to
this -- small defects in the wheels and/or tracks (or tight spots) will
translate to burps in your quilting.

How well does the stitch regulator work -- are your stitches even when you
move fast and slow, are your stitches even coming into and leaving points?
If not, can the sales people give you pointers on what to do, or do they
just say "that's the way these things work". How is the stitch quality when
you're using the regulator, on both the front and the back? Can you easily
quilt faster than the regulator can keep up with? (if so, the regulator
won't be all that useful)

Is the setup ergonomically correct for you, or can it be made so? Seems like
a small thing, but after an hour (or day or week) of quilting, it becomes a
BIG issue. *grin*

Can it handle the types of thread you usually use? (Bring some with you and
ask to use it.)

Yeah, yeah, I know. All this testing isn't exciting. But it is a sizeable
purchase, so it's worth taking a half hour to make sure this will bring you
many, many hours of enjoyment.

Let us know what you find out!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old April 9th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

One of my quilting buddies bought a frame for her Juki and found she
about killed her shoulder trying to use it. Just wasn't for her.
She did find one that worked but had a loss selling the first frame
and then buying the second. It really does happen.
Taria

Old April 9th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I purchased the Juki for quilting without a frame. Mine came with a $300
shopping spree from Superior Threads. NAYY
www.SewUnbelievable.com
There is also a company that makes the "Quilters Cruise Control" that is
used with a frame. According to their website, the cruise control is both
machine and frame specific. Therefore, it would be very important to try
different frames before making a large purchase decision.

Old April 11th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks to all for the information! It looks like I might be doing this
purchase in two parts after all. It seems that the machine and cruise
control is one component, and the frame is (or should be) a seperate
decision. I'm still lusting after that UltraQuilter, but I need to be more
frugal, so I will be waiting and doing LOTS of comparing! Thanks again! ~L

Old April 11th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I second what Kathy said. It took me 4 years to decide on the
Hinterberg. And no I am not trying to sell you on that particular
system. I was all excited the first time I sit down to a quilting
system and my paycheck kept me from the impulse to buy it on the spot.

There is a definite learning curve with one of these systems. Do you
have to room. Will the system stay up or will you have to take it down
when company comes. Do they offer lessons or is it all "wing it" when
learning. There are several groups dedicated to the different systems.
Sign up to one of those, you will learn a lot, immediately.

If you do decide to buy the system, welcome to the world of home
quilting systems. They are frustrating at first, broken needles,
shreading thread, tension problems. eyelashes on the back of the quilt.
But all in all it is a fun way to complete your quilt. 6 hours vs. a
week or two doing MQ with the push and shove method. One thing I will
say my shoulders don't ache anymore.

Kate T. South Mississippi