Not OT -- kitchen work

Old January 10th 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default Not OT -- kitchen work

I am making excellent progress on finishing my queen-sized quilt!
Every stitch is by hand, so it has been a very big project. I thought
I would not do any stitching at all since major work is being done on
my kitchen right now, but since I need to be at the house while
workers are there, need to keep the dog out of the kitchen, and am
generally staying out of the kitchen myself, being around the corner
stitching in front of TV has been my routine the last couple of weeks.

The kitchen: what a mess at the moment! Rather than a complete re-
model, I am replacing only what needs replacing, and in my kitchen
that means the horizontal surfaces -- ceiling, countertops, flooring.
(The cabinets are in good shape and all of the appliances are fairly
new and in great shape, and even the wallpaper is good. They are also
PAID FOR, which is a phrase with a nice ring to it.) The ceiling
needed to be removed in order to completely re-do the overhead
lighting and to add a hood over the stove, which is on an island.
What a mess that was to do! First, the ceiling needed to be removed,
and then the electrician came and roughed in all of the electrical
work and added 5 can lights which he hooked up so they could be used
during the job. Then the ceiling folks came to do the new drywall
around all of the electrical stuff and get it taped and mudded
properly. Then primer. Then paint. Today the electrician and the
ceiling folks were here to hang the new hood (a HUGE job!), and the
electrician finished and trimmed the can lights and hung two 3-bulb
hanging lights flanking the hood. The electrician is now finished,
and the next contact from his office will be the bill, which is sure
to be ghastly. A wee bit of patching around the lighting is needed,
so that is finished, taped, and mudded and drying to wait for paint.
The last thing ceiling-wise will be adding crown molding around the
top, and for that the ceiling folks and I are going shopping together,
probably today or tomorrow. The ceiling folks will bring it in their
truck to the house, and I will stain it to get it ready to hang. Once
it is finished they will hang it.

After my checkbook recovers I will have the countertops replaced --
probably with Corian. The last thing will be flooring.

Meanwhile, the checkbook is bleeding but the quilt is coming right
along!
Old January 10th 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Mary, before you get into the next major mess, please re-think the Corian.
Maybe you are a careful and gentle cook and that will be fine - but a friend
of mine's son slid a hot pot over onto her Corian counter and burned it.
Badly. Another dropped a lightbulb (don't remember if she was changing it
or merely getting a new one from a top cabinet shelf). It cracked the
Corian. It's been many years since those accidents and we'll hope that the
product has been improved. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Tell us about the venter hood. Did you choose a great beauty or one big
enough to really work or what? Polly

Old January 10th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle[_2_]

Mary,
We just redid the horizontal surfaces also, but not the ceiling. We
went out looking for Corian and found it was more expensive than the
natural products.
Ended up choosing Quartz. It is a composite of quartz chips of rather
high percentage and a man made filler. Been in use for 3/4 months and
I love it. Does not have to be sealed, wipes clean as a slate and can
handle all kinds of hot or sticky stuff.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay

Old January 11th 12, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Hope you haven't chosen the Corian, yet.
We found this to be a better product, at a decent price:
http://tinyurl.com/7uthhxx

It's been in for 4 yrs; I still love it; integrated sink, too
(no grout lines). I spent years watching my dad put in
countertops. I don't like granite (too often looks like vomit),
don't want the care of marble or other stones, and don't like
the way "natural stone" is "harvested", big pollution problem.

The LG Hi-Macs is easy care, durable, & pretty. The less time
I spend cleaning & caring for countertops, the more time I spend
next door in the dining room, sewing quilt tops. Or on the
floor pinning the next sandwich (tomorrow).

Good luck!
Hang in there...

Ragmop/Sandy

On 1/10/12 2:02 PM, in article
, "Mary"

Old January 11th 12, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

So, I got curious reading you guys comments on counter tops. From what
I read most solid surface manufacturers have a 10-15 year warranty on their
products. Worth looking in to. Corian looks to be very repairable. We've
been
house hunting and I swear anything but crummy old tile with wide dark ugly
grout lines would look good to me. Good luck to Mary with the remodel.
Kitchens remodels are a lot of money and work and mess!
Taria

Old January 11th 12, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

On 1/10/2012 3:13 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
Mary, before you get into the next major mess, please re-think the
Corian. Maybe you are a careful and gentle cook and that will be fine -
but a friend of mine's son slid a hot pot over onto her Corian counter
and burned it. Badly. Another dropped a lightbulb (don't remember if she
was changing it or merely getting a new one from a top cabinet shelf).
It cracked the Corian. It's been many years since those accidents and
we'll hope that the product has been improved. Just wanted to give you a
heads up.
Tell us about the venter hood. Did you choose a great beauty or one big
enough to really work or what? Polly

Well, I've had solid surface counter tops -- not Corian but one of
the copycats made by one of the other counter mfgrs. -- in the house
since we bought it twelve years ago. Never had a problem with hot stuff
or marring, etc. Sure, breakable things dropped on it tend to break
but there has never been any effect to the counter top.
I chose solid surface counter tops because I liked the fact that it
cleans easily and nicks & discoloration can be easily sanded & buffed
out. I'm paying for it now. We've decided the main reason the house
hasn't sold is because of the counter tops -- they are not the highly,
currently desirable (and hated) granite -- YUCK!!! Eight or ten other
houses in our subdivision have all been put on the market since ours
(back in mid-April). All of them sold within a few months while ours is
still just sitting there! The only common difference is that ALL of the
other houses had granite counter tops and ours has the solid surface!
DH took the house off the market and the hated, nasty granite counter
tops will be installed in a few weeks. I'm sooooo glad I'm not living
there and don't have to take care of granite counter tops! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary /\___/\
Old January 11th 12, 08:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

THANK YOU everybody for the information about countertop materials! I
haven't made any decisions yet, and will definitely look into the
quartz!

Now, about flooring . . . My house is 120 years old, kind of
"bouncy", and not a good candidate for any sort of stone or tile.
I've been thinking about some sort of top quality vinyl. Your
advice?
Old January 11th 12, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Gah! The things we have to do sometimes to make time for quilting!
anyhow, you will love your gorgeous, well-lit kitchen once it's done.
Should make food prep go faster too = more quilting!
Roberta in D

Old January 11th 12, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I bought granite when we did our kitchen. Nothing bothers it at all.
And my DH is very tough on all furnishings.
Roberta in D

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:36:48 -0800, "Taria"
wrote:

[...]

AD: Recycling From The Kitchen Elli Rubberstamps 0 June 20th 07 08:37 PM
OT kitchen progress Roberta Zollner Quilting 4 September 29th 05 08:40 AM
OT - New computers and kitchen Mlle Ilvesvuori Yarn 2 April 28th 04 06:26 AM
Kitchen update Piglet Quilting 3 March 20th 04 02:45 PM
Kitchen Angel Marilyn Marketplace 0 January 18th 04 10:43 PM