Fractal

Old May 7th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Janet[_3_]

Default Fractal

I just purchased a Fractal chart (Fractal 53). Do I really need to
stitch it on black for it to look it's best and pop??

http://tinyurl.com/dkpcwp

Janet

Old May 7th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucretia

On Thu, 7 May 2009 14:35:18 -0700 (PDT), Janet
wrote:

I just purchased a Fractal chart (Fractal 53). Do I really need to
stitch it on black for it to look it's best and pop??

http://tinyurl.com/dkpcwp

Janet

I think so, if you do it on something easier, you will always regret
it, so there is no winning, just whining lol
Old May 8th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Magic Mood Jeep

"Janet" wrote in message
I just purchased a Fractal chart (Fractal 53). Do I really need to
stitch it on black for it to look it's best and pop??

http://tinyurl.com/dkpcwp

Janet

I know someone who's doing this on black, evenweave (I think it's lugana,
so probably 25 ct) over one
It looks goooooooooooooooooood

However, if you don't want to work on black, you *could* work on white,
and then fill in the background with black when done (just make sure it
gets covered - say if' you're using 14 ct/over 1 or 28ct/over 2, use 3 or
4 strands of floss instead of 2)

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old May 12th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

Yes, you do need the black to make the design *pop*. I'm doing one of
the others (Fractal # 38 - see further down on the page below yours),
and it too is on black - it does make a difference. Stitching on
black is a challange - I have to use a very strong light, and since
it's over 1 on 25-count, I also have to use a magnifier!

If you don't want to stitch on black, I would suggest you stitch on a
med-dark grey and fill in the black.

Old May 12th 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Janet[_3_]

On May 12, 7:03*am, wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 22:30:15 -0400, Fran
wrote:

Yes, you do need the black to make the design *pop*. *I'm doing one of
the others (Fractal # 38 - see further down on the page below yours),
and it too is on black - it does make a difference. *Stitching on
black is a challange - I have to use a very strong light, and since
it's over 1 on 25-count, I also have to use a magnifier! *

If you don't want to stitch on black, I would suggest you stitch on a
med-dark grey and fill in the black.

Helps if you are stitching on black to have a white towel or cloth on
your lap and shine a light on to it. * That way the holes in the black
fabric are far more obvious. *The reverse is also true with black
cloth when using white.

That was a tip from Linda Lachance, she did a couple of courses here.
She is a lover of dark backgrounds lol

http://www.northernpinedesigns.com/

wrote:

I just purchased a Fractal chart (Fractal 53). *Do I really need to
stitch it on black for it to look it's best and pop??

http://tinyurl.com/dkpcwp

Janet

I broke down an purchased black fabric - 25 count lugana. Hopefully I
won't lose my mind trying to stitch it.

Janet
Old May 12th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Janet ) writes:
I broke down an purchased black fabric - 25 count lugana. Hopefully I
won't lose my mind trying to stitch it.

Janet

I know others have given different advice, but my advice for stitching on
black is to have as bright a light as possible. Stitching in direct
sunlight, at one point, worked for me. Jim.
Old May 13th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

Yes, you do need the black to make the design *pop*. I'm doing one of
the others (Fractal # 38 - see further down on the page below yours),
and it too is on black - it does make a difference. Stitching on
black is a challange - I have to use a very strong light, and since
it's over 1 on 25-count, I also have to use a magnifier!

If you don't want to stitch on black, I would suggest you stitch on a
med-dark grey and fill in the black.

Helps if you are stitching on black to have a white towel or cloth on
your lap and shine a light on to it. That way the holes in the black
fabric are far more obvious. The reverse is also true with black
cloth when using white.

That was a tip from Linda Lachance, she did a couple of courses here.
She is a lover of dark backgrounds lol

http://www.northernpinedesigns.com/

It's a good tip. Some people even stitch with a subtle light under the
piece. Daylight's thing that looks like a light box is actually meant for
this - you put it on your lap and it has a soft light shining up. I make
sure to keep a white cloth or background of some sort behind my on black
pieces. For Baroque - in desperation (of not wanting to go upstairs again)
I actually hung a sheet of paper towel from the top of the frame - to be
behind the stitching, and could put my 2nd hand between that and the
backside of the piece for my 2-handed stitching. Worked just fine!

Also - I use a magnifier - not because I need it to see, but it makes things
much quicker, surer and easier.

Finally - if you really don't want to use black - be sure to pick a color
that is deepish and will contrast with the outer rim, or alternatively - you
could add an outline of a couple of stitches in black bordering the entire
edge, and do it on whatever you want. But, at least get the black outline
around it - that might be easier than stitching on black

Ellice

Old May 14th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

I've tried both the white cloth and light tricks and in the end
decided against them - I stitch two-handed on a frame and my hands
kept obscuring the holes. So I just settled on a bright overhead
light. For white fabrics, I only use the magnifier on the lamp (see
link below) when working with over-1 on 32 count. With the black
fabric, I wind up using the magnifier on 25-count. Since the fabric
I'm using is black hardanger (I think - I've had it a while), the
holes are actually harder to see than the off-white 45-count linen I'm
using for another piece. Go figure.

This is the lamp I use. The light is a standard 8" circular bulb, but
the optics on the magnifier are some of the best I've seen.
http://www.micromark.com/FLUORESCENT...LENS,8177.html

And when I can't use the magnifier in the lamp, this is the one I use:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bausch-l...nifier-2x.html
It, too, has very clear optics across the entire lens. I've had mine
for probably 15 years now.

Old May 20th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 5/13/09 7:27 PM, "Fran" wrote:

I've tried both the white cloth and light tricks and in the end
decided against them - I stitch two-handed on a frame and my hands
kept obscuring the holes. So I just settled on a bright overhead
light. For white fabrics, I only use the magnifier on the lamp (see
link below) when working with over-1 on 32 count. With the black
fabric, I wind up using the magnifier on 25-count. Since the fabric
I'm using is black hardanger (I think - I've had it a while), the
holes are actually harder to see than the off-white 45-count linen I'm
using for another piece. Go figure.

Hard to say what works for all of us.

This is the lamp I use. The light is a standard 8" circular bulb, but
the optics on the magnifier are some of the best I've seen.
http://www.micromark.com/FLUORESCENT...ICATION-LENS,8
177.html

The lamp looks good. Daylight has a similar one, but I haven't needed to
take the plunge. I wonder if the 22W Daylight circular bulb could be fitted
into your fixture when you're due to change the bulb - if it mattered to
you.

I have a K's magnifier that is actually ground optical glass as opposed to
plastic like most of them. I've had it about 9 years, and that's what I use
on my floor stand or Baby-Z. When I got it, it didn't come with the wooden
extender bar, just with the metal bracket, screws/bolt/knob. I never use
the little mag light, but the magnifier is really nice.
http://www.kscreations.com/acc_magnifier.htm

And have the Daylight clamp-on smaller magnifier that works pretty well,
it's 2.25X, with a little 4X bubble. Light enough and portable.
http://tinyurl.com/qpl295

And when I can't use the magnifier in the lamp, this is the one I use:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bausch-l...nifier-2x.html
It, too, has very clear optics across the entire lens. I've had mine
for probably 15 years now.

I'm always astounded when people are successful with the around the neck
magnifiers. They make me totally ill because of the shifting with
breathing. Great that it does the trick for you!

Ellice