Away for the weekend and "Quilter in Progress"

Old September 8th 03, 05:31 AM
juliasb(nospam)

Default Away for the weekend and "Quilter in Progress"

Well I went to my sister's for the weekend to help out with the kiddlets
again. Things for the most part were pretty quiet. My nephew continues
to have some very difficult times and had one outburst while I was there
that resulted in a broken door. He put his fist through a closet door. I
don't think he was prepared for the fact that that action had a few
consequences either... I don't think he was ready for the bloody mess he
made out of his hand. We are just hoping that things for him will come
about sooner than not. (sigh... so much for that).
Now onto the fun quilty part of the weekend. I took along with me
(of course) my current quilting project. So I was able to stitch away
for quite a bit of the weekend during the down times. Yesterday my
sister took me to the new LQS I have been telling you all about. I
bought a couple of yards of a to die for boarder print. Or maybe I
should say it was perfect in my mind's eye for a quilt boarder I have in
the brain cell jumbles. . My little 3 yr. old niece was thrilled at
the 'pretty store' and wanted to of course touch everything in site. So
I took her by the hand and showed her things on the wall and different
patterns and such. Of course I was being very careful with those little
hands and that inquisitive mind of hers. When she was small quilts on
the walls that looked like some she has seen of mine she got so excited
and would jump all around wanting to know if we could take my quilt home
with her. Try explaining that to a three year old.
Now for today. I do believe we have a 'quilter in the making' in my
little niece. She spent a good part of the afternoon with me today
quilting. I would push the needle into the fabric and she would pull
the needle out with the thread, holding them just right so the thread
would not come out of the needle. She is so proud of herself. She even
believes me that the needle is sharp after she had to gently test it for
herself. So she asked me for a needle that she could use to quilt with
that would not hurt her fingers. So I think it is time to get some
sewing cards made that look like quilt blocks so she can 'stitch in the
ditch' and learn along side of me. We were having so much fun. You
would have laughed so hard watching her little hands pulling the needle
and thread through each little bit. Her eyes would get so big when she
saw what was coming out. Though she was a bit confused on how the color
was different from the fabric, not quite getting it that the thread was
a different color from the quilt top colors. But when she looked on the
back and saw the dark brown thread against the yellow/orange fabric she
was tickled but still didn't quite understand how the 'little dots' got
there. She said she wants her own quilt now to make. I believe we have
another young quilter that will bloom over time and in no time at all.
She even reminded me that I gave her her first quilt. Then went in and
bought it out to me. She came home with it after she was born. She
still sleeps with it all the time.
It is such a tickle to me. She does make me proud. She is also
having a hard time keeping a 'secret' about the quilt we are making for
her mom for Christmas. I told her she will get to sign the label on it
and that she has to keep working on her name real hard so when we get
that one all done she will be able to sew on the label with her name.
That had her jumping up and down! She loves the idea that you make
quilts for someone you love and she is soooooo happy that she gets to
help with her mom's special quilt. (not the one we were working on over
the weekend but another WIP).
juliasb
--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

Old September 8th 03, 07:44 AM
juliasb(nospam)

My niece will be 4 in December. I was thinking about the 'sewing cards'
I had as a child and like the ones my girls had. They used yarn and a
plastic yarn needle. I will be making these for her since I have not
ever seen any that were quilt specific in designs. I hope the cards
will help her to learn the ins and outs of the needle and thread. I
think that if I make a dozen cards of the same block with different
color combinations she could stitch each card together and make an
entire paper (card board) quilt. I am playing around ideas in my head
right now as to what I want for the blocks so that she can learn more
than just pulling a needle and thread. I just have to mull it over a bit.
juliasb

Sherry Starr wrote:
How old is your niece? My grand-daughter is 4, and seems to be interested
in quilting, so is her brother, age 6. Where could I get a needle that
isn't sharp. Are you going to make the sewing cards for her, or is that
something that can be purchased? I will see my grandchildren the end of
October, and that might be fun to see what I can do. My DD says the 4 year
old is very crafty. She is always making things. DD has no sewing skills
at all.
Sherry Starr

Old September 8th 03, 12:43 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

My DGD is 2 and already has her own fabric stash.....a friend gave me I Spy
fussy cut hexagons which we keep in a tin for DGD when she visits......If
anyone mentions fabric as my best friend did....DGD stops mid action , the
little wheels turning in her brain and off she runs to get her "FABRIC" at
the top of her lungs.....she is the darling of the fabric store, since she
has to touch and look at all the PRETTY fabric.....I can't wait to start to
sew with her....I almost bought a little machine designed for
kids.....Anyone have any ideas about childrens sewing machines ?

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA

Old September 11th 03, 05:53 AM
Nell Reynolds

Look in knitting notions. The needles to sew up knitted garments are blunt,
and come in steel or plastic.

Nell in Austin