Sock embroidery

Old December 24th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

Default Sock embroidery

wrote:
Hi all:

I'm hoping to embroider a simple pattern on a pair of socks as a gift
(just a pair of letters, basically). It doesn't need to be done by
Christmas, but I'd like to finish it within the coming week.

Two questions:

1) Is it realistic to accomplish this myself given that I've never
done anything like this whatsoever? And if so -- how might I do it?

2) If not, is it realistic for anyone here to do it for me within the
next few days (for a reasonable fee, of course)?

Thanks!
Mark

If the knit is substantial, I would recommend embroidering by "duplicate
stitch" or Swiss embroidery. You would probably want to choose block
letters to keep it simple. If it's a fine knit, then it could be done
by sewing machine. Many machines have built-in alphabets, and there is
an old Singer monogrammer that does single capital letters for older
machines. If it's just two letters, though, it may be just as simple to
embroider by hand.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old December 24th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Pogonip wrote:
Many machines have built-in alphabets,
and there is an old Singer monogrammer that does single
capital letters for older machines. If it's just two
letters, though, it may be just as simple to embroider by
hand.

Funnily enough, I bought one a few years back, just before I
finally bought the XL5000. I'm planning on putting the
Singer monogrammer on eBay.

Beverly