Sewing on a hook and loop with glue - problem

Old September 27th 04, 07:39 PM
Odin Roll-Hansen

Default Sewing on a hook and loop with glue - problem

I bought a hook and loop with glue. The glue is there to make it
easier to place the hook and loop correctly on the fabric until the
sewing is done.
Smart, but the problem is that the needle of the sewing machine
collects glue, until finally the hole in the needle gets so filled up
with glue that the thread no longer passes freely through the hole and
the thread breaks.
Does anyone have a solution for this problem.
Yours Odin
Old September 27th 04, 08:51 PM
Larry Green

Odin Roll-Hansen wrote:
I bought a hook and loop with glue. The glue is there to make it
easier to place the hook and loop correctly on the fabric until the
sewing is done.
Smart, but the problem is that the needle of the sewing machine
collects glue, until finally the hole in the needle gets so filled up
with glue that the thread no longer passes freely through the hole and
the thread breaks.
Does anyone have a solution for this problem.
Yours Odin

The simple answer is to buy the hook and loop strip without the glue for
sewing purposes :-) The adhesive ones are normally used on surfaces that
*cannot* be sewn.

I do understand your problem as I had the same thing happen once when I
could only get the adhesive type and needed some hook and loop strip
('velcro') to finish off a kite I was building at the time. I did find a
very effective method of removing the glue on short pieces (less than 2"
/ 50mm long) though. Follow the steps below for glue removal.

1) Remove the adhesive backing strips and drop the short pieces of
'velcro' (mated to each other) into a film canister (the sort roll film
comes in ...if you remember what roll film is/was.....lol)

2) Add enough Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to the canister to cover the
strips and fit the canister cap.

3) Give it a quick shake (with a finger over the cap for safety) and
leave it for 10 minutes (shaking occasionally if you like).

4) Ensure you are in a well ventilated area with no naked flames then
take a couple of sheets of kitchen paper and add a tablespoon of flour
to the middle of the sheets (flour can be plain or self raising ...it
really doesn't matter!)

5) Remove the 'velcro' strips from the film canister and roll them in
the flour (like dredging a fish fillet). Now coat your fingers in flour
and gently rub at the flour coated adhesive. It will start to peel clean
away from the 'velcro' and will form balls that look like ....er........
well.......if you have ever had kids you will know *EXACTLY* what the
balls look like EG.

6) Once the glue is removed from the 'velcro' put a few drops of dish
soap/washing up liquid into a bowl of warm water, separate the velcro
strips and wash off the remaining flour/alcohol. When clean allow to dry
then sew as required.

HTH,

--
Larry Green
Old September 27th 04, 09:10 PM
Kate Dicey

Odin Roll-Hansen wrote:

I bought a hook and loop with glue. The glue is there to make it
easier to place the hook and loop correctly on the fabric until the
sewing is done.
Smart, but the problem is that the needle of the sewing machine
collects glue, until finally the hole in the needle gets so filled up
with glue that the thread no longer passes freely through the hole and
the thread breaks.
Does anyone have a solution for this problem.
Yours Odin

I've never seen hook-&-loop/Velcro with glue for temporary basting to
fabric. The only stuff with the glue I've seen is for sticking it to
non-porous surfaces. And yes, the glue will stick to the needle. It
might also gunge up the bobbin area of the machine, so I would avoid
sewing it at all costs. Please check the instructions for the proper
use of this stuff.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 28th 04, 12:03 AM
TJones3676

Dear Odin,

If you go back and read the package, it says that it is non-sew tape. I never
buy this stuff. I once used it on a costume in a pinch, and it made a mess. I
had to do the whole top over.

Next time, get sew-on tape, and use scotch tape or pins to hold it where you
want it until it's sewn.

Teri