Can I make my own recycled glass beads?

Old June 24th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Default Can I make my own recycled glass beads?

Has anyone ever done this? I have a friend who drinks sodas from a
glass Mexican Coca-Cola bottle and has about a hundred empty bottled.
I love the way recycled beads look. Is there a "homemade" half-way
uncomplicated way to make glass beads? Or a place to send the bottles
for that for a discount on the beads?

Thanks.
Old June 26th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Patti

On Jun 24, 9:24 am, wrote:
Has anyone ever done this? I have a friend who drinks sodas from a
glass Mexican Coca-Cola bottle and has about a hundred empty bottled.
I love the way recycled beads look. Is there a "homemade" half-way
uncomplicated way to make glass beads? Or a place to send the bottles
for that for a discount on the beads?

Thanks.

They make glass beads out of coca cola bottles in Africa. They come
out as a muted, bluish green color. However, I have no idea how they
do this. You might pose this question on the glass newsgroup -
rec.crafts.glass or one of the glass bead sites like www.lampworketc.com
or www.isgb.org. and see if anyone will answer you.

Good luck,

Patti
Old June 26th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Jun 24, 3:24 am, wrote:
Has anyone ever done this? I have a friend who drinks sodas from a
glass Mexican Coca-Cola bottle and has about a hundred empty bottled.
I love the way recycled beads look. Is there a "homemade" half-way
uncomplicated way to make glass beads?

If you find out, would you report back?
I rather like that color myself.

TIA,
Maren
HiloBeads: Beads - Beading Supplies - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/

Old June 26th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
turtlelover

Maren at google wrote:
On Jun 24, 3:24 am, wrote:

Has anyone ever done this? I have a friend who drinks sodas from a
glass Mexican Coca-Cola bottle and has about a hundred empty bottled.
I love the way recycled beads look. Is there a "homemade" half-way
uncomplicated way to make glass beads?

If you find out, would you report back?
I rather like that color myself.

TIA,
Maren
HiloBeads: Beads - Beading Supplies - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/

I've certainly never done it, but here's a link to where it's done, and their method. I vaguely remember previously reading about African recycled glass bead making and thought it was interesting.

http://www.eshopafrica.com/gallery/p...cledglass.html

Best,
Turtlelover
Old June 27th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Jun 26, 12:35 pm, turtlelover wrote:

I've certainly never done it, but here's a link to where it's done, and their method. I vaguely remember previously reading about African recycled glass bead making and thought it was interesting.

http://www.eshopafrica.com/gallery/p...cledglass.html

I looked at that, thanks. I think I may have some of those beads.
But I was thinking lampwork.

I may just try heating some glass shards with the torch, then try
to attach them (one at a time) to a rod and see where that gets me,
along the lines of this:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_jew...972067,00.html

I"ll see how far I get with a Hothead running on propane (we have some
of these
small propane containers and they're getting rusty (see my blog) - and
that's
what I made the beads on the picture in the blog with)

recycled glass Byrd Glass 2 April 6th 07 05:37 PM
Recycled Coke Bottle Beads mehughes Beads 3 October 20th 05 07:43 PM
How can I make glass looking bowls Jodie Glass 1 April 24th 04 06:33 AM
How to make your glass even prettier IMSMART0 Glass 1 July 2nd 03 04:37 PM