Is it really silver?

Old August 8th 03, 05:55 AM
marisa2

Default Is it really silver?

I have some earring hooks that I am pretty sure are sterling silver, but not
100% sure. Is there any way to find out? It is important enough for me to
know (based on people's advice in another thread ) that I am willing to
sacrifice one (well, it might as well be two) if necessary.

thanks

marisa2

Old August 8th 03, 06:22 AM
Carol in SLC

I have some earring hooks that I am pretty sure are sterling silver, but not
100% sure.

Are they store bought and fairly new? If so, they will have the 925 hallmark
on them if they are indeed sterling.

Carol in SLC
My new stuff: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/emma.jpg
Old August 9th 03, 12:44 AM
marisa2

Ok, how do I tell by having one destoyed?

marisa2

"Marilee J. Layman" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:55:14 GMT, "marisa2" wrote:

I have some earring hooks that I am pretty sure are sterling silver, but

not
100% sure. Is there any way to find out? It is important enough for me

know (based on people's advice in another thread ) that I am willing

sacrifice one (well, it might as well be two) if necessary.

If they're not marked, you can only tell by having one destroyed.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale

Old August 9th 03, 07:08 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:44:58 GMT, "marisa2" wrote:

Ok, how do I tell by having one destoyed?

Send it to be assayed. I've had some of my Bali in every other
shipment assayed to make sure it was sterling.

.. .

Old August 10th 03, 05:06 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:47:33 GMT, "marisa2" wrote:

What does that mean? Where can I get this done?

It means it's sent to a company that will melt the metal and identify
what it's made from via spectroscopy (every element has a
characteristic "peak" in spectroscopy). Check with a local jeweler,
they may be able to get you a good deal with whoever they use. It's
expensive, though, and unless you have a *lot* of those earhooks, it's
probably not worth it.

Old August 10th 03, 10:45 PM
C Ryman

Are they tarnishing any?
If they look like they are getting tarnished or dull, try this to tell if it
is silver.
Line a small pan with aluminum foil, put the earring hook on the foil and
sprinkle a good amount of baking soda on top of it. Pour boiling water
over it (don't try this with beads). This will cause some bubbling. Lean
over and smell the steam. If it smells like sulfur then it is silver and
should become a brighter silver.
I use this test on some of the necklaces I find in the Salvation Army junk
jewelry box. I do find some sterling silver and some very interesting base
metal chains.
Go ahead and buy some silver stock and use the questionable findings for
your personal jewelry or gifts to relatives.
Good Luck,
--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old August 11th 03, 07:03 PM
Deirdre S.

How about Archemedes' test? That was for the purity of gold, not
silver ... but could the principle be used for silver?

Is it possible to get its volume by water displacement, and then weigh
it and compare its weight with an equal volume of silver you -know- is
sterling? Or could a plated base metal potentially have the same
weight per unit of volume as silver does, making the test
inconclusive?

Deirdre