My Trip to Lake Placid (on topic and some off topic stuff)

Old July 12th 04, 11:29 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default My Trip to Lake Placid (on topic and some off topic stuff)

I'll start with the on-topic bits.

#1 - the travel project I brought (Welcome to My Garden) was prefect for
traveling. Stitching on tula was a joy and the combination of medci wool
perle cotton was easy to stitch. It was also great because I rarely had
great light and the large holes and bright white fabric made stitching
really easy. I got most of my stitching time in between 7 and 9 AM while DD
and DH slept in. I'd crack a shade and stitch away.

#2 - while I never found an LNS, I did find a great yarn store - I bought
some locally made needles and some great yarn. And spent as much as I would
at needle work shop.

#3 - at a used/antiquarian bookstore in Lake Placid I found Patchwork Quilt
Designs for Needlepoint (Frank Fontana, Dover Needlework 1976). The colors
are 70's, but I love it.

#4 - also found a bead shop in Lake Placid. While the shop was geared to the
make and take jewelry crowd, I did nab a charm of a guide boat. DD made a
bracelet in blues - a real piece of "grown up" jewelry.

OK - as to the rest of it. We left on Friday and drove as far as Rutland VT.
Saturday we got to Lake Placid and hit our first Olympic site - the
MacKenzie-Intervale Ski Jumping Complex. Took the ride up the mountain and
then the elevator up to the top of the 120K tower. There was ski jumping and
free style jumps to watch - very cool. There is a special plastic surface
that they keep wet to simulate the snow.

We dropped DS off at goalie school for the week on July 4th and kept on
moving. Felt strange to leave him with complete strangers - at Boy Scout
camp, he camped with his troop.

On Monday we went off to Santa's Workshop, DH went there as a child and
wanted to take DD. While we were there, we ran into an old college friend of
DH's with her son. We saw them several more times over the week - they have
a condo in Lake Placid and the kids hit it off. We even got a childfree
meal; they had a sitter for the evening and the adults had dinner out.

We walked the town a few times, bought a wedding gift for dear friends whose
wedding we had to miss. Took a few rides around the countryside. The hotel
we stayed at had a pool and playground, so DD had play time with kids her
own age. Did Ausable Chasm too - walked and took the raft ride. DD got to
ride with the guide and had the biggest grin for the whole ride.
(http://www.ausablechasm.com/ - I highly recommend the tour)

We also went to the Adirondack History Center Museum & Colonial Garden in
Elizabethtown. (http://www.adkhistorycenter.org/) Lots neat stuff - the doll
makers would have loved it. The garden was a treat as well. I have some
pictures from atop the fire tower showing the surrounding mountains and some
of the railings in the museum.

The highlight of the week might have been the ride on the Adirondack Scenic
Railroad. First just because it is a lovely ride to Saranac and back.
Secondly, because on the return trip, there was a moving/interactive play
(as in they wandered between the cars by the Pendragon Theater. It was based
on events during Prohibition.( http://www.pendragontheatre.org/) The actors
stop and talk to you, ask you to tell them if you see the other villains
(there are only villains as main characters). The actors playing Dutch
Schultz and his companion Cookie took a real shine to DD and spent a lot of
time talking to her. An enjoyable bit of over the top acting.

We had mostly good food while we were gone and lots of strolling to work it
off.

We picked up DS - much thinner DS on Saturday. He had great time and learned
a lot. Watching the drills was fun - the screen drill was the best!

There is plenty to do when we go back again - I will call the people at
Goods from the Woods (who gave me their website) and see the shop. I also
found a button shop to check out in Jay. And I think I found a listing for
an LNS near Plattsburg.

Well back to the laundry - I still have many loads to go despite having done
one while we were gone (had, DD spilled ginger ale all over DH's only pair
of shorts). I've emptied one bottle of pretreat just doing DS's clothes.

Cheryl

Old July 14th 04, 04:50 AM
Ruthie

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

My big sister went to summer camp in the Adirondacks, and we would do a
weekend around the area each year.

On Monday we went off to Santa's Workshop, ... Did Ausable Chasm too -

Brought back some memories! Did you ride the lake Champlain ferry? It
seems to me that that was part of our trip, too.

Aaah, those early childhood memories!

Ruthie in Colorado
alowan cat earthlink dog net

Old July 14th 04, 02:04 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/13/04 11:50 PM, in article
, "Ruthie"
wrote:

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

My big sister went to summer camp in the Adirondacks, and we would do a
weekend around the area each year.

On Monday we went off to Santa's Workshop, ... Did Ausable Chasm too -

Brought back some memories! Did you ride the lake Champlain ferry? It
seems to me that that was part of our trip, too.

Aaah, those early childhood memories!

We've done the Lake Champlain ferry in the past - it was faster to go across
VT on 4 and pick up the Northway.
But - if DS goes back to the same camp, we'll take the ride across and hang
out in Burling VT next time. Go see the marble quarries, eat out ( can take
DD to a huge range of cuisines) and generally have fun. Maybe even spend a
night at the Van Trapp Inn. Surely I'll find an LNS there!

Cheryl

Old July 15th 04, 02:29 AM
Evelyn M

Sounds fun. And I like that travel project. -Evelyn

#2 - while I never found an LNS, I did find a great yarn store - I bought

#3 - at a used/antiquarian bookstore in Lake Placid I found Patchwork

Quilt

Old July 15th 04, 01:06 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Finished the stitching the other night.
And we had a blast!
Cheryl

#2 - while I never found an LNS, I did find a great yarn store - I bought

#3 - at a used/antiquarian bookstore in Lake Placid I found Patchwork

Quilt