A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Quilting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Just a Simple Patch Quilt

Old April 12th 17, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Just a Simple Patch Quilt

Have been saving 4 inch, 3 1/2 inch, 3 inch and 2 1/2 inch squares for some time now. I take my left over pieces of material from my made quilts and cut them into what ever size squares the material allows. Right now I have only enough 4 inch squares to make a small quilt of mixed colors. I usually put a 2 1/2 inch inner border and 4 inch outer border. One of the problems I have had with these type squares is when sewn together in rows the corners do not always meet but off a tiny bit. So this time before sewing I went through every single square and made sure they were exactly 4 inches square. I know material will stretch while pressing, so will wait until the rows are all sewn together before doing that. If you can think of an easier way to do these type of quilts better please let me know. I am trying to be as careful sewing as I can.
Sandy$
Ads
Old April 13th 17, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 1:09:33 AM UTC+10, wrote:
Have been saving 4 inch, 3 1/2 inch, 3 inch and 2 1/2 inch squares for some time now. I take my left over pieces of material from my made quilts and cut them into what ever size squares the material allows. Right now I have only enough 4 inch squares to make a small quilt of mixed colors. I usually put a 2 1/2 inch inner border and 4 inch outer border. One of the problems I have had with these type squares is when sewn together in rows the corners do not always meet but off a tiny bit. So this time before sewing I went through every single square and made sure they were exactly 4 inches square. I know material will stretch while pressing, so will wait until the rows are all sewn together before doing that. If you can think of an easier way to do these type of quilts better please let me know. I am trying to be as careful sewing as I can.
Sandy$

Hi Sandy,

I used to have a problem with pressing the squares flat until my friend pointed out that I was actually ironing them instead of just pressing them. Does that make sense?
Now I just press/lift/press move on to next square instead of moving iron over the material.

Haven't tried a quilt with small squares but I certainly have enough small squares to try one - I bought a whole lot from a shop closing down without thinking about what to do with them.

Have a Safe and Happy Easter.

Cheers,
Di
On the beautiful Mornington Peninsula
Vic. Australia
Old April 13th 17, 09:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen
external usenet poster

On 04/12/2017 08:09 AM, wrote:
Sandy$

If someone gives me guff about having corners that don't match, I just
tell them that is my artistic style.

--
My Yonkoma:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0...57680223526176

The E-mail associated with the account is a "spamcatcher" account that I
got to every couple of months to empty out, and anything sent to it will
not be seen for probably several months, if it is seen at all.
Brian Christiansen
Old April 13th 17, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann[_2_]
external usenet poster

I'm with Brian. A thread or two off doesn't bother me. But if it really, really bothers you I suggest lots of pinning. Also, press the seams carefully and be sure that each intersection nests (so that the seams from one unit go in the opposite direction of the other unit, with no twisting).

Nann

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 10:09:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Sandy$

Old April 16th 17, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen
external usenet poster

On 04/12/2017 08:09 AM, wrote:
Sandy$

Just out of curiosity, how are you designing it?

Are you just putting the scraps in a big bag and randomly selecting them?

Are you arranging them so perhaps they radiate from the lightest colors
in the center to the darker colors on the outside?

Perhaps the darks on one end going towards the lighter on the other?

Dividing them into color "families" such as reds, blues, etc, and making
"stripes."

Or what? I am sure there are many ways to arrange even just solid blocks.

--
My Yonkoma:

Brian Christiansen
Old April 18th 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hello Group,
So far with all my experimenting as I have pinned, ironed rows in opposite directions so they would mesh together at seams, then also did not "press" these squares at all because I kept them in boxes for each size. These were already(Brian)flat. Used solids and prints(no stripes) and put them together so the colors would be pleasing and each row didn't have a matching square in front or behind next row. One of my experiments is I found that some material stretches more than other material when ironed. I will try just pressing too(thanks for that idea). My best luck so far was pinning and sewing together the squares, rows before pressing. Have made 3 quilts this way so far and have one left which is different prints that I am putting together with baby prints and solids. Hope these experiments help you all. I am sort of a perfectionist and have found that nothing in life is perfect, so why should material sewn together be perfect. Thank you all for your comments.
Sandy$
Old April 18th 17, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen
external usenet poster

On 04/18/2017 09:05 AM, wrote:
Hello Group,
These were already(Brian)flat.

What I meant by "flat" is that each block (4", or 3 1/2 when finished)
is a single color or pattern and not some pieced thing like a half-suare
triangle or whatever.

--
My Yonkoma:

Brian Christiansen
Old April 24th 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hello Brian,
These are just prints and solids 4" that are sewn together to make a crib type quilt. I think it is the material itself that is stretching as I sew it but think pinning and checking measurement of each block before sewing helps. I even tried pressing instead of ironing. All seems to help. Just finished the 4th so I will be starting on a regular size quilt next.
Sandy$