OFF TOPIC funny

Old February 20th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default OFF TOPIC funny

This morning, as is their wont during the winter, the kids were tubing while
waiting for the bus.

Today, DD is belly down on the tube, just starting to go, when the little
boy next door (about half her size if that) decided he was going to jump on
top of her. He lands in such a way that his mouth connects square to the
back of her head and he continues into a perfect flip, back into the snow.
The adults are laughing, but all of a sudden, he's crying and very bloody.

DD has a small bump on the back of her head and he's short three, already
loose, baby teeth.

Needless to say, he missed the bus and appears more upset that the tooth
fairy might not credit him for all three teeth.

Cheryl

Old February 20th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/20/09 8:59 AM, in article ,
"lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:49:16 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

This morning, as is their wont during the winter, the kids were tubing while
waiting for the bus.

Today, DD is belly down on the tube, just starting to go, when the little
boy next door (about half her size if that) decided he was going to jump on
top of her. He lands in such a way that his mouth connects square to the
back of her head and he continues into a perfect flip, back into the snow.
The adults are laughing, but all of a sudden, he's crying and very bloody.

DD has a small bump on the back of her head and he's short three, already
loose, baby teeth.

Needless to say, he missed the bus and appears more upset that the tooth
fairy might not credit him for all three teeth.

Cheryl

Know something ? I think that is great, that's what childhood used to
be - a series of small misadventures often ending in casts or
stitches. I find kids today far too sheltered and wonder how they
will manage when they hit the real world and their new boss is not
interested in congratulating them for a half-assed job or boosting
their egos

The nicest thing about my next door neighbor and good friend is that we feel
exactly like that - you have to get dirty and sometimes get hurt along the
way. And the kids have to work out their issues. L is 7, about to 8, and
since his older brothers are 21 and 19, he needs an older "sibling". And DD
needs to be the oldest sometimes too.

Cheryl

Old February 21st 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
biig

"Karen C in California" wrote in message
lucretia borgia wrote:
wonder how they
will manage when they hit the real world and their new boss is not
interested in congratulating them for a half-assed job or boosting
their egos

They will be stunned, shocked and demoralized.

I've had several clients who can't spell for beans and have never met a
punctuation mark, and they blame ME when I send back pages upon pages of
corrections. Apparently, I have nothing better to do than sit around
inventing things to be fixed in what they think is top-quality output.

Our village library is staffed totally by volunteers and last
week were delighted to have a nice young woman come in offering her
services....until we asked her to shelve some books, alphabetically by
author's last name.....she didn't know her alphabet......Sharon in Canada

Old February 21st 09, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

lucretia borgia wrote:
wonder how they
will manage when they hit the real world and their new boss is not
interested in congratulating them for a half-assed job or boosting
their egos

They will be stunned, shocked and demoralized.

I've had several clients who can't spell for beans and have never met a
punctuation mark, and they blame ME when I send back pages upon pages of
corrections. Apparently, I have nothing better to do than sit around
inventing things to be fixed in what they think is top-quality output.

Our village library is staffed totally by volunteers and last
week were delighted to have a nice young woman come in offering her
services....until we asked her to shelve some books, alphabetically by
author's last name.....she didn't know her alphabet......Sharon in Canada

I'm a firm believer in the fact that some very intelligent people can't
spell and that it doesn't have a lot to do with their level of education,
their ability to read and comprehend what they read, or their IQ.

Old February 21st 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:39:16 -0500, "lucille"
opined:

"biig" wrote in message

Our village library is staffed totally by volunteers and last
week were delighted to have a nice young woman come in offering her
services....until we asked her to shelve some books, alphabetically by
author's last name.....she didn't know her alphabet......Sharon in
Canada

I'm a firm believer in the fact that some very intelligent people can't
spell and that it doesn't have a lot to do with their level of education,
their ability to read and comprehend what they read, or their IQ.

Nonetheless, a resume full of spelling errors will not be impressive
and heaven only knows, it doesn't take much to learn to spell. The
reverse is also true, I looked twice at a person who said very little
but presented a beautifully written piece of work.

If you are really intelligent surely you know how people regard sloppy
work and you are intelligent enough to learn to spell, now, if not in
school. That's what I meant originally, kids are told the piece is
okay (in spite of the errors because we mustn't damage their egos by
saying they made mistakes) so they leave school certain they are
perfect and can't believe others do not see them that way.

With my bright, but spell challenged husband, he learned early how to fix
the problem. He used me as a spell check, or his secretary at work.

Lucille

Old February 21st 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"lucretia

With my bright, but spell challenged husband, he learned early how to fix
the problem. He used me as a spell check, or his secretary at work.

Lucille

See ? He didn't want work going out looking very ignorant ! A
solution to a recognised problem, that's what you were.

Jeez, that sounds sooooooo boring!

Old February 21st 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:07:05 -0500, "lucille"
opined:

"lucretia

With my bright, but spell challenged husband, he learned early how to
fix
the problem. He used me as a spell check, or his secretary at work.

Lucille

See ? He didn't want work going out looking very ignorant ! A
solution to a recognised problem, that's what you were.

Jeez, that sounds sooooooo boring!

Oh, I thought it sounded considerate on your part and intelligent on
his because he knew it needed checking. You know I wouldn't
congratulate you on being a boring woman lol

I knew that. I just wanted to be sure you really are feeling better and
that you're back to your old self. RD&H

Old February 21st 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

"biig" wrote in message

Our village library is staffed totally by volunteers and last
week were delighted to have a nice young woman come in offering her
services....until we asked her to shelve some books, alphabetically by
author's last name.....she didn't know her alphabet......Sharon in Canada

I'm a firm believer in the fact that some very intelligent people can't
spell and that it doesn't have a lot to do with their level of education,
their ability to read and comprehend what they read, or their IQ.

Nonetheless, a resume full of spelling errors will not be impressive
and heaven only knows, it doesn't take much to learn to spell. The
reverse is also true, I looked twice at a person who said very little
but presented a beautifully written piece of work.

Very true. But some people, regardless of intellectual capability, do have
issues that interfere with their ability to spell. My DB is dyslexic, not
very, but was constantly doing poorly in spelling when in elementary school,
finally they figured out the dyslexia, and he got some special counseling to
work with it. Essentially, they (teachers) told my parents that when he
grows up and has a job - he'll have a secretary to fix his spelling. And
it's true. He's very bright, and quite capable in his field, as a litigator
who also consults (his clients - other lawyers for the most part). At the
same time, he knows enough to be sure that his documents are thoroughly
checked.

Having been caught myself with stupid typos in a resume, I hate that. Now I
may have been accepted in error.

If you are really intelligent surely you know how people regard sloppy
work and you are intelligent enough to learn to spell, now, if not in
school. That's what I meant originally, kids are told the piece is
okay (in spite of the errors because we mustn't damage their egos by
saying they made mistakes) so they leave school certain they are
perfect and can't believe others do not see them that way.

See above. All of our god kids learned to spell, and their parents work
through it with them, I know lots of young children that seem to have fun
learning to spell. OTOH, I'm one of those people that does spell well,
always did, and was always the spelling bee kid (even if my DM wouldn't let
me go to nationals 'cause I was too young). It's pretty said to assume
that all kids are told "it's okay" when turning in a paper with spelling and
grammar errors. I think that is more likely an issue specific to different
areas, school boards, etc. I've heard plenty of whining from the 14 year
old god daughter about her paper getting marked down for sloppiness, poor
grammar, etc. But, I'm sure it happens as you say.

It's the whole thinking and presenting ideas in a clear format that IME
seems to be missing in the education through high school. I can remember
teaching thermo, and for the first half the term, letting kids redo their
homework because it was so poorly presented, unclear, couldn't follow their
work - which meant in those kind of problems there was no way to give
partial credit, or see where they went wrong. And this is a junior class,
not a freshman one - but primarily with kids taking it early - as sophmores
- they hadn't really been thru a basic engineering class that required them
to present things in a structured, clear, manner. Chemistry usually does
that. And English with grammar used to, but who knows any more. It was
astonishing to me to be explaining the reason to have your work be legible,
logically constructed, and....in ink (so you cross out the error, don't
erase - let's the back-tracking be seen for info as you work). I'd let them
turn the homework back at the next class - and usually that was done.

Ah, well - we're such sticklers.

Ellice

Old February 22nd 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Default Spelling, grammar and getting it right was OFF TOPIC funny

The thing about correct spelling and grammar is that *effective*
communication is the most efficient and rewarding way of sharing ideas.
If your communication skills are flawed, then you'll spend more time
explaining and apologising for ambiguity in the end. I always used to
teach kids that we write things down so that someone else can understand
what we want to tell them. That means, 'write well, spell well and gram
well'. (I made that up ;- )

There's no shame in being a faulty speller (at least, I don't think
there is). Just like being poor at sport or a less-than-perfect cook, we
can't all be great at everything. Nevertheless, it's well worth *trying*
to spell correctly so others can read what we write and get our drift
correctly the first time. It's the same with grammar. People who don't
have auto-pilot for spelling need to buy a dictionary of some sort.

I know there have been arguments since forever about whether phonetic
spelling is good or bad. I have to come down on the side of traditional
spelling because it reflects the history of the word and I'm fascinated
by history. See, to leave the diphthong (ę) out of 'encyclopędia'
removes the word from its Greek origin. (Gr. Paedos: education. Like in
'Paedagogy', which is a subject I took in my post-grad year). Now, this
is an entirely personal opinion and I'm not foisting it on anyone - just
sharing what I reckon. Even the Oxford Dictionary has 'encyclopedia' as
its main entry. I think that's a shame. The change has been made for the
convenience of those who don't want the bother of getting it right.

Getting it right is, I think, the crux of the matter. When my parents
were growing up, you got it right or you got a whack! When I was growing
up, you got it right or you did it again. When my DS was growing up, you
got it right or you got it wrong and no one cared. Now, as my DD is
growing up, you get it wrong most of the time and you're praised for it!
(NB. My DD and DS are both impeccable spellers and I'm happy about that.
DD could spell 'encyclopaedia' correctly when she was six.)

I think what we're really bemoaning is the general trend away from
excellence in many areas. It's my belief that lowering standards of
excellence has (especially in primary education) permitted children to
advance without ever learning the skills of concentration and focus
required to observe closely and get things right. Again, this is my
personal barrow, but I'll push it till I die! I believe it does our kids
a huge disservice as it denies them the chance to reach their full
potential.

One last comment before ending the diatribe. I don't believe that
spelling skills are learned as effectively by rote as they are simply by
continual exposure to correctly-spelled reading material. My kids
*never* did their spelling homework and hated the repetition of spelling
lessons. Both read widely, though, and 'acquired' spelling as if by
osmosis. I reckon that's why some brains pick up spelling while others
don't. If you're not wired that way, then you don't have a dictionary in
your brain and you'll have to consult the Oxford. Oh well. While my kids
can both spell like the dickens, neither is much good at sport. Let me
tell you, it's *far* worse to be a poor athlete in school today than it
is to be a poor speller! Things that make y'go 'Hmmmm...'

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old February 22nd 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
[...]

With the peculiar spelling of so many English words, a dictionary is useless
for a really poor speller. How can you look up the word laugh if you can't
spell it?

-SNIP-

funny, funny knit site! myswendy Yarn 11 May 20th 07 02:18 AM
Funny on -topic cartoon monique Quilting 3 March 2nd 07 08:54 PM
On topic - too funny Cheryl Isaak Needlework 1 October 7th 05 06:56 PM
OT Aint it funny that the majority of the posts are off topic? Quiltshophopper Quilting 13 July 21st 05 07:44 PM
OFF TOPIC - but very funny! Cheryl Isaak Needlework 0 July 10th 05 05:26 PM