Gold etching alternatives to Aqua Regia

Old November 5th 03, 04:53 PM
Bob Edwards

Default Gold etching alternatives to Aqua Regia

I'm working on a monograph / presentation on handling chemicals
(especially acids) safely in the jewelry shop. One of the questions
that I was asked to investigate is whether there are safer
alternatives to aqua regia for etching gold. So far, my research has
turned up a couple possibilities, which I'll mention briefly below --
anyone on the group have knowledge of these approaches, how well they
work, or any others not mentioned here?

Nitric acid elimination: as a substitute for HN03, use sodium
nitrate; disolved in concentrated hydrocloric acid, a (somewhat weak?)
solution of aqua regia is created. (This is the process Shor sells in
one of their refining packages). You still have all the hazards of
handling aqua regia once the solution is made, but at least you don't
have concentrated nitric acid around all the time, with its own
storage and handling issues.

Iodine/Potassium Iodide solution (usually in methyl alcohol,
occasionally other organic solvent): apparently this is used
routinely in the semiconductor/chip industry to etch gold. Etch rate
compares with that of aqua regia. Elemental iodine, of course, has
its own toxicity and handling issues. A commercial version of this
solution is sold as "Transene gold etch" to the chip industry.

Rauchfuss's reagent: this one is a relatively recent discovery, a
solution of elemental sulfur in N-methylimidazole. Disolves/etches a
great many metals, while (reportedly) relatively harmless otherwise.
Not much info available about it, other than the original research
papers and a few web posts.

Use of diluted acids to prepare aqua regia: how dilute can aqua regia
be, and still be effective as a gold etch? Do you have to use
concentrated acids? Would dilute acids, still in the proper chemical
proportions, be equally effective, and how dilute can you go? It's
been surprisingly hard to find any definitive answers to this
question, and what I have found is inconclusive.

Electro-etching: salt or other ionic solutions used in an
reverse-plating setup are commonly used to etch steel and other
metals, both ferrous and non-ferrous. I've seen a couple references
that at least imply that the process works with gold. Does it?

Cyanide solutions, of course, etch gold readily, but it's not clear
that's any better/safer than aqua regia in the first place...:-)

Some chemical references have suggested that almost any strong
oxidizer combined with a complexing/binding agent should disolve gold.
That's how cyanides and aqua regia work, for example. Not sure about
the I/KI solution, or Rauchfuss's reagent (I read his paper, but
didn't understand a lot of the chemistry, unfortunately).

Any help you can provide will be well appreciated.

(And for those who might refer me to Charles Lewton-Brain's book on
workshop safety, thanks, I'm already familiar with it; it's a great
book and will be acknowledged and liberally quoted in my writeup.
However, it doesn't answer this specific question.)

FYI, just in case you were wondering, waaay back when in college, I
was a chemistry student for a few years, which is how I got roped into
doing this -- I volunteered to someone that I knew a bit about lab
technique and handling acids....next thing I know: "Well, how about
working up some info for me...".

Best regards,

Bob Edwards
Chromis Designs
San Francisco
Old November 10th 03, 04:20 PM
TrevorF

Although my specific interest is electrolytic etching I've recently
discovered a fine online reference for etching in general. It is the
"Metallographic Etch's Database" at
http://www.kaker.com/etch/java/index.html.

In it there are a number of entries for gold including a couple _not_
using Aqua Regia:

Material: Palladium (Pd), gold (Au) and platinum (Pt)
Type:: Microetching
Method: Chemical etching
Etchant (electrolyte): 100 ml distilled water, 10 g ammonium
persulfate.
Procedu 30 s to 2 min.
Remarks: For Au alloys with high content of precious metals. White
gold. Pd and Pt alloys.
Reference: G.Petzow, Metallographic Etching, ASM (American Society for
Metals), 1978, p. 45.

Material: Gold (Au), palladium (Pd), platinum (Pt)
Type: Microetching
Method: Chemical etching
Etchant (electrolyte): 100 ml hydrochloric acid, 1-5 g chromium (VI)
oxide.
Procedu Seconds to minutes.
Remarks: Pure Au and Au-rich alloys. Pd and Pd alloys.
Reference: G. Petzow, Metallographic Etching, ASM (American Society
for Metals), 1978, p. 45.

As to the electro-etching of gold, yes, it certainly does work and is
widely used in the semi-conductor business. Unfortunately all the
recipes I've seen use cyanide compounds, particularly potassium
cyanide, and are therefore of little interest to me.

My own experiments on electrolytic etching of sterling silver have
been quite promising as they use only low voltages and common shop and
household electrolytes. I'm beginning to feel like a medieval
alchemist in my search for the same for gold.

Cheers,
Trevor F.

Gold and all its variations for findings Su/Cutworks Beads 24 September 20th 04 03:27 PM
aqua regia--extract gold from? ilaboo Jewelry 4 November 6th 03 11:04 AM
What would happend... m4816k Jewelry 4 November 4th 03 04:52 AM
How much 14K gold will a 1/4 ounce of 24K gold yield? Jeff S. Jewelry 10 October 28th 03 05:43 AM