paper piecing

Old February 2nd 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Default paper piecing

Good morning all.

After spending a good part of this past weekend working on my sampler
quilt (20 blocks down, 36 to go!), I had a brainwave (yes I know, it
doesn't happen every day). One of the blocks in my quilt (from
quilter's cache) is the Dolly Madison star. It is part paper pieced.
And it turned out beautifully. Now I am not a great paper piecer, so
bear with me. The only paper piecing I have ever done is log cabin and
now this star. It sure makes it easier to join all those tiny
triangles. So I was wondering: what are the limits of paper piecing?
Can it be applied to any block that does not have curved lines? Is it
worth it to paper piece rather that to join pieces without paper
piecing? THe next block I will be facing (also from quilter's cache)
is the double star chain. It has a zillion little triangles. It is not
paper pieced in the quilter's cache, but I was wondering if it
wouldn't make sense to paper piece it.

What are your opinions?

Thanks

Claudia
Old February 2nd 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Try this. http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php Scroll down to
Piecing on Paper

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old February 2nd 09, 08:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

I tthink that it would be a lot easier to do the Double Star Chain as a
paper piece.

I would do the centre square the the 12 small outer squares and then join
the lot.

YMMV

Dee in Oz

Old February 2nd 09, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

If you like the technique, by all means use it! IIRC there's even
somebody who PPs gentle curves, but I haven't tried it myself.
I wouldn't bother on most full-size blocks, because IMO preparing the
paper templates and tearing away afterwards is a PITA (and I don't
like the thickness of leaving in non-paper). If given a choice, I
would always go for regular piecing: my piecing is usually pretty
accurate, and it allows more flexibility for pressing. But TANQP! Do
what you like to do!
Roberta in D

Old February 2nd 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

The double star chain block has several four patches; those are much
easier to strip piece than to paper piece. The segments made up of two
small and one larger triangle could be paper pieced quite easily.
However, I would use a combination of the half-square triangle and
quarter square triangle piecing, as described at
http://www.quilterbydesign.com/lessons/square.triangles.html. I always
cut my squares for half-square and quarter-square triangles a bit bigger
and then trim the finished piece to the correct size. I guess I'm not
precise enough to do it without trimming.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old February 2nd 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

If you have Electric Quilt you can redraw your blocks in that program
and print out foundation patterns. The only limit to paper piecing (or
foundation piecing as it is also called) is geometry. I use it on most
of my miniature quilts and trickier larger blocks. Sometimes it is a
pain but the accuracy can't be beat. Last year I made the 120 block
quilt "Civil War Love Letters" based on the book by Rosemary Youngs.
Blocks were only 6" and all foundation pieced. I thought of each block
as a miniature quilt. It was fun.

Susan

Old February 2nd 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

"...what are the limits of paper piecing?"

er... running out of paper. ;-

R/Sandy- not a paper-piecer (tried it, moved on); my lqs boss
was an expert at paper piecing, including curves; awesome

On 2/2/09 12:11 AM, in article
, "claudia"
wrote:

[...]

english paper piecing vs ordinary hand piecing Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 12 July 17th 07 11:54 AM
what paper to use for foundation paper piecing? Lynnette in San Jose Quilting 45 April 7th 06 03:38 PM
Paper Piecing! Tina Quilting 12 November 2nd 05 05:21 PM
foundation paper piecing vs english paper piecing?? Frank & Renee Quilting 3 July 18th 05 05:18 AM
Paper Piecing help please. Nocturnal Quilting 8 February 9th 05 11:58 PM