Best overlocker?

Old October 23rd 06, 11:50 AM
Sascha Keates Sascha Keates is offline
Junior Member

Default Best overlocker?

Please help. I know absolutely nothing about overlockers (or sewing for that matter) but I would like to buy one for my mother. Which is a good make, lots of extras etc.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sascha
Old October 23rd 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson

You would do well to read this

www.cet.com/~pennys/faq/smfaq.htm

--
Ron Anderson A1 Sewing Machine
PO Box 60, Sand Lake, NY 12153

Old October 23rd 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
CypSew

I suggest you go to each sewing machines web site and look at the different
sergers(overlockers) to see what is available. Then make a date for a
luncheon, an afternoon out, etc and take your Mom to a few shops and allow
her to try out the machines in your price range, which can vary greatly,
depending on different features.
Personally, I have a Pfaff 4872, 5 threads and cover stitch, that is about 6
years old, which I enjoy using. Other people who I know have others and
enjoy theirs as much as I do mine.
Sewing machines, including sergers, are very personal, like the automobile,
so your Mom ultimately needs to choose the one she likes and feels
comfortable using.
www.janome.com ; www.babylock.com ; www.pfaff-usa.com ; www.singerco.com ;
www.bernina.com These are some of the web sites, which I believe are all
correct.
Emily
..

Old October 23rd 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Tatiana

I second Emily
www.husqvarnaviking.com

Tatiana

.

Old October 23rd 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Val

"Tatiana" wrote in message
I second Emily
www.husqvarnaviking.com

Tatiana

I agree with Emily also, you really need to test drive those that interest
you. One more hint.......take your own fabric to test sew. Take pieces of
whatever you will be sewing on, have sewed on or think you will sew on the
most.

Val

Old October 24th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip

Val wrote:
"Tatiana" wrote in message

I second Emily
www.husqvarnaviking.com

Tatiana

I agree with Emily also, you really need to test drive those that interest
you. One more hint.......take your own fabric to test sew. Take pieces of
whatever you will be sewing on, have sewed on or think you will sew on the
most.

Val

This isn't bad to read in this case, either.
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00162.asp

--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old October 28th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate Dicey

Sascha Keates wrote:

Please help. I know absolutely nothing about overlockers (or sewing for
that matter) but I would like to buy one for my mother. Which is a good
make, lots of extras etc.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sascha

The best one for her is the one SHE is happy with, so let her do the
trying and choosing. And do look at the sewing machine faq Ron pointed
you at - it's the biz!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 31st 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
sis

"Sascha Keates" wrote in message

Please help. I know absolutely nothing about overlockers (or sewing for
that matter) but I would like to buy one for my mother.

NEVER ever buy a sewing machine or serger for someone else withOUT their
input!

You should take your mother shopping to her favorite sewing machine store
and let her choose the overlocker. The choice may actually be determined by
which store has a better service department.

Which is a good
make, lots of extras etc.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sascha

Actually, the best thing you can do is to learn how to sew, and share that
passion with your mother.

--
Sascha Keates

choosing a new sewing machine [email protected] Sewing 9 April 5th 06 11:01 AM
Differential feed on a serger / overlocker ? Andy Dingley Sewing 5 February 19th 05 01:10 PM
Necchi overlocker snowflake Sewing 1 February 4th 05 03:41 PM
Singer Overlocker Problems drew Sewing 1 May 5th 04 10:57 AM
Overlocker - thread breaks Vilna Sewing 7 January 30th 04 06:47 PM