Photographing your beads

Old July 1st 04, 08:32 PM
Candace

*giggling like a 16 year old*

sowwee..it was too good to pass up.

Having seen your picture, I'm not sure *anything* would melt in your mouth.

;-)
--
JoAnn Paules

I'm sure Kevin would...and does.

! ! ! ! :-O CANDACE!!
~~
Sooz

~Candace~
Orphan Beads Low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old July 1st 04, 08:35 PM
Kandice Seeber

Kandice is so right...there is no quick fix to photography. You must play
with your cameras, read the manuals, and take photo after photo. I would
take 27 rolls of film in one day just to see how playing with different
settings would affect the photos.

This is why I love digital cameras. No film to develop and waste if the
pics are bad. No extra cost. Just take the pic, and if it doesn't look
good, delete it and move on. Makes learning and experimenting much less
time consuming. Thank goodness for this!!

When I first got my 35mm camera I was a total mess up. My ex-husband

deemed
me too stupid to learn and I had that stigma with me.

What a jerk!!

Then I got out my
books and started playing with all the features. I got magazines and
checked out books from the library.

Good for you - that's the perfect attitude. Proved his ass wrong!

These days I turn down jobs for weddings and the like because I'm so busy.
It took me several years of working with my cameras and learning about
lighting and such before I got there though.

With digital cameras it's different. If you are wanting to take decent
photos of your jewelry you must have a decent camera.

That I respectfully disagree with. Any digital camera is fine, as long as
you have a macro and decent lighting. A photo editing program is a huge
plus and makes things so much easier.

I can't make a
digital sing like a throw-away 35mm. Just won't happen. Again leg work

and
research are what it's all about. Then that time again to read the manual
and play with all the buttons....

Oh, this will change - I promise! I am positive that with a little time you
can make your digital camera sing. Then you will never want to go back to
35mm or scanner pics - at least where beads and jewelry are concerned.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old July 1st 04, 08:36 PM
Candace

Btw way--you've got it right...

! ! ! ! :-O

is about what I'd pictured when I typed that.

Old July 1st 04, 08:47 PM
Kandice Seeber

Hehehehehe - Sooz you should read this thread to Kevin. ROFL!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old July 1st 04, 08:48 PM
Dr. Sooz

Oh my!!!

:-D hee
~~
Sooz
Old July 1st 04, 09:25 PM
JoAnn Paules

Make that two of us! I wish all women could find a wonderful partner like I
have. I was going to say "man" but not everyone has the same preferences as
I do. That's okay too - it's more important to find someone who loves us and
accepts us as we are.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:48:23 -0400, Dr. Sooz wrote
(in message ):

Oh my!!!

:-D hee

Sooz

Dum de dum de dum. (whistling innocently) Why, whatever could she
mean? I'm sure I don't know. (continues whistling)

I'm so glad that you two found one another. Your love shows on your
faces, and I hope that you're this deleriously happy for at least
another fifty years. You both deserve it and more.

I'm glad that so many of us have found great partners - Shirley and
Jerri pop to mind instantly. (I don't have a lot of complaints,
either) I'll send happiness and matching up vibes to those who
haven't yet found the right partner.

Kathy N-V

---

Old July 1st 04, 09:29 PM
Dr. Sooz

is about what I'd pictured when I typed that.

KLUNK

~~
Sooz
Old July 1st 04, 09:30 PM
Dr. Sooz

Hehehehehe - Sooz you should read this thread to Kevin. ROFL!!

Wouldn't he just DIE?
~~
Sooz
Old July 1st 04, 09:46 PM
Dr. Sooz

I'm glad that so many of us have found great partners

ME TOO. :-D ! ! !
~~
Sooz
Old July 1st 04, 09:53 PM
Lori Greenberg

I can't believe I missed this thread. I have lots of opinions on a lot
of aspects of what's been said and I know they're not popular.

I have to say off the bat though that one thing that I feel bothered about
are situations that are brought up in the name of other people or colleagues
without specifics. I'm not talking about names or quotes, I'm talking about
generalizations of the situation and other information coming out later.
Doing that just doesn't leave the door open enough for people to comment or
know what really was said. It also leaves the door open so that when
someone *does* respond, that more information is pulled out and things are
said like, you don't know but these people are demanding or nasty. That's a
long cry from contacting fellow beadmakers asking for tips. People are
caught then. I hope that makes sense.

As for asking for tips, maybe it can be seen as rude to ask, but I'm one
that is usually willing to help. So, it's not seen as rude to
everyone...only those that don't want to answer or are uncomfortable saying
no. I won't walk you through the steps to get the exact bead I make or the
pictures I most likely will take the time to help you with something you're
stuck on. I also know that I the full right to say "no".

I would hope that any 'competition' that wants to ask me for help or tips
would be enough behind me in that area that by the time they got to where I
was, I would be on to the next thing. I know how long it took me to figure
out how to get good pictures and I know how many people were instrumental in
helping me. Some from asking about it, some from articles and internet
searching, etc. I know that if someone asks me for help with something, the
step by step I could give them is still not going to be their answer. It
just isn't that simple.

I've been known to sit down and take a lot of time typing out instructions
for someone on how to program their kiln, specifically. I also wrote an
article for WC! that references other articles and then shows you step by
step how to eliminate the background from your images. I don't think
someone getting better pictures of their own beads is going to hurt me. I
don't see other lampworkers as competition in the sense that it will hurt me
either. I see it as motivation to do better. There are a lot of other
factors that need to be in line for someone to be able to hurt my business,
like, making beads just like me, with the same skill, accuracy and timing, a
sense of color, web presence, customer base, ability to come up with new
things...I could go on and on. None of these things are easy to get or
learn and they're not all natural. Also, for all of them to be aligned at
the same time is a feat. Artists don't always sit down and just whip out
something aesthically pleasing. It takes work to put it all together.

Ok, that's enough for now. But, in response to "are you thinking at
ALL????" I would have to say no, because I didn't realize that people felt
so threatened by requests for help and if they are, I feel bad for them. My
question would be, "do you realize at all that you can just say NO?" When I
ask for help I am in no way doing it so I can hurt the person I'm asking.
It would be a different story if I was asking so I could duplicate what you
were doing and take it from you and put you out of business.

I can't stop. It's interesting to me how people will say how helpful and
tight the beading/beadmaking community is and then get upset when someone
asks for help.

Here goes.....send.....

--
--------------------------------------
Lori Greenberg

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
This has come to my attention.....not because anyone here asked in the

last
week, but because of those who contact their fellow beadmakers asking for

tips.

If you don't know how to photograph your beads, learn. Google it.

Research
it. Do NOT email fellow jewelry-makers or lampworkers, asking them how to

do
it.

How in the world do you get the nerve to ask them to teach you how? Does
Angelina Jolie give lessons on how to be sexy to J.Lo? Hell NO. They are
COMPETITORS. Does Usher give Justin Timberlake tips on how to have a hit
record? NO! They are COMPETITORS.

How can you ask someone who's competing with you for customers to help you

do
this? Don't you realize you're asking them how to make you a BIGGER

THREAT to
their income?

SERIOUSLY. Are you even thinking at ALL???????? Do you go to the

girlfriend
of the guy you like, and ask her, "How can I get him to be MY boyfriend?

What
does he like in bed?"
~~
Sooz