Happy Chrimbo, everyone!

Old December 26th 03, 03:29 PM
Ellice

On 12/26/03 12:12 AM,"Karen C - California" posted:

In article , "clancy"
writes:

what a lot of work for three people ....
really wondering on next year - maybe Mexican night - or Italian

I sent out for Chinese! I've been nibbling at it all day. The egg rolls
are gone, and so is the first bucket of soup, but we've still got plenty of
entree and fried rice, and the second bucket of soup, if any of you exhausted
cooks want to come over and collapse on my couch.

Karen, you're definitely in tune with us. We spent most of the day on the
phone with neurotic but neans well SIL. Slept in, had coffee, opened
packages - called SIL (who had called us at 1:40 AM and stayed on phone for
85 min). Spoke for a while. Forgot to really eat. Puckster very happy with
his gift of quacking/honking swan from his aunt. Also, bottles of "Wuff
Zinfzndel" and "Sauvignon Bark" treats - which he likes a lot. We played the
"hockey trivia" board game - from Canada.

Finally, during phone call 3 from nSIL - who evidently had an iritis attack
in one eye - so would put in drops, then call us and so on - I cooked up
Shrimp Fried rice - from the leftover containers of white rice from Chinese
take-out 3 days ago. Yummy.

Sometime around 8:30, I believe we finally had - Kosher Hot dogs and Oven
Fries (great made with Olive Oil, and rosemary). Topping off with the truly
bizarre - at about 12:30 - I think we had grapefruit for dessert. What a
culinary day.

At least I've got the coffee made this morning. And, of course, have to go
do hockey wash - 'cus DH has to be at a rink in stripes on the ice at 2:30
(til 6). Tonight - Taming of the Shrew at Ken Ctr - I think I actually have
to drive him across DC to the rink (in town, east of the Anacostia), come
home (rather than hang out for 4 3.5 hours) and then go get him. It's dress
up night, and I'm not getting duded up in the ref room!

Twas the night after Christmas
And all through the house
Not a creature is stirring,
Not even Toy Mouse.
The kitties are nestled all snug in their beds
And visions of tissue paper dance in their heads.
Toy Mousie is cuddled close under a paw
With drool running on him from a slack jaw

Excellent poem. Thank goodness Puckster doesn't drool - he just drips water
from his spaniel ears ;^) Has his burger, his frisbee, his swannie all
cuddled in close - as he snuggles in behind DH's calves.

Hope all are happy,
ellice

Old December 26th 03, 04:23 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Ellice wrote:
Karen, you're definitely in tune with us. We spent most of the day

on the
phone with neurotic but neans well SIL. Slept in, had coffee, opened
packages

(message snipped here)

Sometime around 8:30, I believe we finally had - Kosher Hot dogs and Oven
Fries (great made with Olive Oil, and rosemary). Topping off with the truly
bizarre - at about 12:30 - I think we had grapefruit for dessert. What a
culinary day.

Can I join the club, too? We had DBIL and family over for Christmas Day
festivities. After Christmas morn church service I mixed some pizza
crust and put it aside to rise. They arrived, we all opened gifts, then
I put college-age DD in charge of 4-y.o. DNiece making pizzas. I told
the 4 y.o. (start 'em early, I say!) that the BEST Christmas gift any
mother gets is for her kids to make dinner...

So the kids made dinner while the tired adults sat in the living rooom
and drank wine and munched hors d'oevres. Definitely *my* kind of
celebration, LOL!

sue

Old December 26th 03, 06:00 PM
Pat P

"animaux" wrote in message
You have all my thoughts. Give a kiss to John and threaten him to get

well!

Thanks Victoria - guess where we spent Christmas afternoon? In Casualty,
having John`s leg checked out as it had swelled up like a balloon! I was
scared in case it was a thrombosis, and the medics said he should be checked
out, so he had all the tests and had his medication changed, temporarily.
He`s still far from well, but says he`s a LITTLE better, thsnk goodness.
I`ve only known him take to his bed once, about 35 years ago, with kidney
stones, so he`s not a hypochondriac. When he says he feels ill he really
DOES! He has his ECG on Monday, so we should know more then.

He says thanks for all the hugs and kisses etc. from everyone - they cheered
him up no end!

Thanks everyone.

Pat P

Old December 27th 03, 01:45 PM
Ellice

On 12/26/03 11:23 AM,"Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen"
posted:

Ellice wrote:
Karen, you're definitely in tune with us. We spent most of the day

on the
phone with neurotic but neans well SIL. Slept in, had coffee, opened
packages

(message snipped here)

Sometime around 8:30, I believe we finally had - Kosher Hot dogs and Oven
Fries (great made with Olive Oil, and rosemary). Topping off with the truly
bizarre - at about 12:30 - I think we had grapefruit for dessert. What a
culinary day.

Can I join the club, too? We had DBIL and family over for Christmas Day

Aren't you already in?

I put college-age DD in charge of 4-y.o. DNiece making pizzas. I told
the 4 y.o. (start 'em early, I say!) that the BEST Christmas gift any
mother gets is for her kids to make dinner...

So the kids made dinner while the tired adults sat in the living rooom
and drank wine and munched hors d'oevres. Definitely *my* kind of
celebration, LOL!

Good for you. Sounds creative.

On this end, we still have a carton of wrapped gifts stacked up to be put
into a shipping carton and sent out. Said large open carton full is on the
floor at the rear of sunroom. A gift bag full of "new" stuff is on the end
of the sectional, along with an oversize paperback I gave DH. Evidently,
while we were out last night, Puckster decided we broke curfew. And removed
a few "wrapped" gifts - giving them the personal doggy autograph.
Fortunately, he didn't damage the gift in one - just shredded all the tissue
and wrapping paper, toothmarked it's accessory, and another package has the
corners of wrapping torn off - but we're sending it to his "aunt" like that
= saying it's from him. However, he got the book from 25' away and took it
to the back of the room - getting all the corners imprinted. And, DH, very
upset - his sister had sent 2 plastic cups from Chili's - that were all
covered in this riotous chili peppers playing hockey motif. They were in the
gift bag - the dog lifted them out, and nothing bigger than an 2" piece was
left - a lot of little pieces. I fear that dog will be pooping plastic cup
for 2 days (most is shreds on the floor). I know, we don't want him hurt.
But what a goof. I guess that he just didn't like us being gone for so long
during the holiday (must've been the post-show dinner that put him over the
edge).

Ellice

Old December 27th 03, 04:15 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Ellice wrote:

On this end, we still have a carton of wrapped gifts stacked up to be put
into a shipping carton and sent out.

Yeah, well...

I finally finished the five Hardanger angels that were the project from
H*ll...the fourth one on Christmas Eve, and the fifth on Christmas Day
in the morning. They're gifts (not necessarily Christmas...I was
initially going to distribute them at our reunion in November before
frustration made me Plan B it) for five best HS friends. Since I wasn't
going to mail them out before Christmas, I attached all five of them
with suction cups along a long mirror in the dining room, and called
them my "band of angels", thus having my five "angel" friends
represented in my home for my Christmas celebration (in absentia -
they're scattered across the US).

I'll take them down later today or tomorrow and pack them up and mail
them to my friends, along with a photo of the five of them displayed
together. Maybe they'll hang them on a window or mirror in their homes
for everyday enjoyment rather than just Christmas. (If the photo comes
out, I'll post it where y'all can see it. It's quite a lovely display.
They're so angelic you wouldn't have any suspicion of the language they
elicited in their creation, LOL!)

Sue