stiffner for crochet snowflakes????

Old December 24th 03, 08:27 AM
gundoc

Default stiffner for crochet snowflakes????

I am crocheting some snowflakes for gifts. I don't know anything about
stiffner (is there any things that I need to make the snowflakes hard at
home??). I know glue is one of them. My mother in law loves crochet
snowflakes. I just crochet 3 snowflakes so far (will make few more).

Marcie

Old December 24th 03, 11:54 AM
georg

gundoc wrote:

I am crocheting some snowflakes for gifts. I don't know anything about
stiffner (is there any things that I need to make the snowflakes hard at
home??). I know glue is one of them. My mother in law loves crochet
snowflakes. I just crochet 3 snowflakes so far (will make few more).

Marcie

My friend soaks them in starch and then lets them dry flat.

-georg

Old December 24th 03, 12:29 PM
Bonnie

A woman in my fiber arts group does beautiful angels and she uses equal
parts Elmers glue and water.

Old December 24th 03, 12:41 PM
Ruth409028

I don't know anything about
stiffner (is there any things that I need to make the snowflakes hard at
home??). I know glue is one of them.

I use Sobo glue (without water), lay them flat, pin them down and let them dry.
Frances
Take Jacques out before replying.
Old December 24th 03, 03:37 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Marcie

Don't know about snowflakes, but I used to use HEAVY Starch with a
little bluing to set doilies.

TTUL
Gary

"gundoc" verbositized:

Old December 24th 03, 05:45 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I like heavy starch because when they are dirty, this is easier to
remove. I've had some snowflakes for 15 years - some in gold thread -
and some quite intricate so that I don't want to do them again. :-) I
hang them from garland on the staircase. Starch lasts for years, and is
easy to wash out, restarch. I tried the glue approach and it's messy if
you want to "keep" your ornaments. Also messy drying them.
Dianne

Old December 24th 03, 06:34 PM
wanderson

Actually I use pure Elmers glue, soak the work well and blot with a
disposable towel. Sometimes you may see a clear flake or two that will
brush off. While they are wet I sprinkle glitter. They have lasted for
years. I also do angels that are about 12 inches tall. I reinforce the
wings with white wire the florists use. I used to sell out at
craftshows. People who have had them for ten years tell me they are
still standing. One puts it on top of her tree.

dee

Old December 25th 03, 02:56 AM
Ellice

On 12/24/03 3:27 AM,"gundoc" posted:

I am crocheting some snowflakes for gifts. I don't know anything about
stiffner (is there any things that I need to make the snowflakes hard at
home??). I know glue is one of them. My mother in law loves crochet
snowflakes. I just crochet 3 snowflakes so far (will make few more).

There's a product called "Stiffy" or something like that - which you can buy
at a crafts store. It's designed for stiffening fabric. You just brush it on
with a foam brush, and let it dry. Great for making decorative bows.
Alternatively, the way I used to do decoupage - solution of Elmer's white
glue, and water -just thin it a bit.

Have a happy,
ellice

Old December 25th 03, 06:56 AM
Liz Hampton

I am crocheting some snowflakes for gifts. I don't know anything about
stiffner (is there any things that I need to make the snowflakes hard at
home??). I know glue is one of them. My mother in law loves crochet
snowflakes. I just crochet 3 snowflakes so far (will make few more).

Marcie

I made several about 15 years ago and just pinned them to a piece of
cardboard and sprayed the heck out of them with spray starch. Some people
swish them around in a starch solution but I decided that it would make the
pinning too gooey. :-)) Come to think of it, I probably could have made up
a starch solution and used a small paintbrush to soak the snowflakes. Most
of the ones I have are still stiff enough to hang up in the upper glass part
of our front door.
Liz from Humbug

Old December 25th 03, 09:56 AM
Morgana

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:56:37 -0500, Ellice wrote:

There's a product called "Stiffy"

LMAO! Here in the UK, "stiffy" is a slang word for an erection! That really
tickled me, thank you :-)

Merry Christmas everyone

-Morgana
--
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we really are, far more than our
abilities..." - J.K. Rowling, "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"

Obsidiana - http://www.obsidiana.org.uk