Kits! Grrr!

Old December 23rd 03, 12:11 AM
Pat P

Default Kits! Grrr!

Just doing a Thomas Kinkade kit - grrrrr! It`s confirmed my earlier opinion
that I hate kits! Fortunately this one gves all the Anchor and DMC
equivalents for those shades either undefinable or just plain MISSING. In
fact it`s far easier to do it using my own store of threads, although I`m
matching as many of those to the kit threads. The quality of the kit
threads is excellent, anyway.

It`s also annoying me with the similarity of many of the symbols - arrows in
three directions, for example - and various triangles, and has confirmed my
own preference for alpha numeric symbols (which I use in my own charts) -
they may not give a great impression of the picture from the chart, but at
least they don`t confuse the eye as much!

Apart from that, it`s coming along well.

Pat P.

Old December 23rd 03, 12:28 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/22/03 7:11 PM, in article
, "Pat P"
wrote:

Just doing a Thomas Kinkade kit - grrrrr! It`s confirmed my earlier opinion
that I hate kits! Fortunately this one gves all the Anchor and DMC
equivalents for those shades either undefinable or just plain MISSING. In
fact it`s far easier to do it using my own store of threads, although I`m
matching as many of those to the kit threads. The quality of the kit
threads is excellent, anyway.

It`s also annoying me with the similarity of many of the symbols - arrows in
three directions, for example - and various triangles, and has confirmed my
own preference for alpha numeric symbols (which I use in my own charts) -
they may not give a great impression of the picture from the chart, but at
least they don`t confuse the eye as much!

Apart from that, it`s coming along well.

Pat P.

Pat my dear, if that is well, I don't want to know about badly!
Cheryl

Old December 23rd 03, 03:03 AM
Pat P

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 12/22/03 7:11 PM, in article
, "Pat P"
wrote:

[...]

LOL, Cheryl - now you know that I thrive on adversity!

Pat P

Old December 23rd 03, 11:35 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/22/03 10:03 PM, in article
, "Pat P"

wrote:

[...]

I know!
LOL!
Cheryl

Old December 23rd 03, 05:34 PM
Linn Skinner

Pat, I am having similar sentiments but I'm working on a UK kitG I pick
up little kits of local sights when I visit somewhere and I have friends in
the Starbeck Knaresborough area so I am struggling with a little 3" x 3 1/4"
depiction of the Knaresborough Viaduct with a church in the background. I
inherited a hank of threads with it which wanted sorted into Dk. Beige,
Pinky Beige, Lt. Beige and Cream many of which looked like the Dk. Grey,
Med. Grey and Lt. GreyG The symbols are really awful as well. I'm going
to be in Cumbria in February from whence this "Simple Cross-Stitch" design
originated. I just may go by and give them a sharp stab with a crewel
needle. Still in all, I'll see it through and put it up on my "Landmark
Wall". It's not the worst kits I've run across. Those came from
Philadelphia. Best local kits I've found - Australia. Lovely little
designs, easy to work and a nice addition to "The Wall".

Good luck

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters
www.skinnersisters.com
www.embroideress.blogspot.com

Old December 23rd 03, 06:26 PM
Russell Miller

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the tip! I LOVE Thomas Kinkade paintings! Now I have just
enough time to find these 'kits' or even better, charts if such exists
and let DH in on it before Christmas Eve. Let's see, he gets home at
5:00......this still gives him a half hour to turn around and pick this
up before before the stores close. Not a problem!

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

--
Maureen Miller C.H.

Old December 25th 03, 07:55 AM
james hurley

This may be helpful:

Perhaps as a result of all the griping we cross-stitchers have done over the
years about being unable to get extra thread or know what color in DMC
thread their colors equate to, I have found that many kit companies now have
on their website a conversion table between the code numbers they use and
DMC or Anchor floss numbers.

I know, for example, that Bucilla has one, because I used it regarding a kit
I am working on.

So you might try going to the kit company's web site and seeing what they
might have.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Joe Hurley