Unlurking, part 2

Old December 17th 03, 08:18 PM
Ellice

On 12/16/03 12:46 PM,"John Quinn" posted:

I like Q-Snaps, they come in a variety of sizes, so it should be
possible to get one just the size you need. I would suggest at least
three inch margin for your fabric. The stocking I am currently working

Ditto on the Q-snaps. They come in several sizes, are easy to assemble,
light-weight, don't mark the fabric, and you can mix/match the sizes.

on (won't be done for Christmas :'( ) is a kit and the fabric margin is
tight making it harder to do the stitching at the edge of the design.
For my next project I'm going to try scroll bars because the one after
that is a big one that Q-Snaps aren't large enough without using them
like hoops and moving them around the fabric.

I use scroll bars for very large things, like huge NP stocking in works for
DH. But, generally, I use the Q-snaps for work on linen, similar fabrics. I
will move the fabric about in the Q-snaps if I need to, or if a little bit
of stitching will be under the clamp - briefly. I haven't had any markings
or problems doing that - although I may put a piece of fabric between the
stitching and the clamp. I use stretcher bars for canvas.

Good luck,
ellice

Old December 17th 03, 08:25 PM
FKBABB

Actually, 14-inch quilter's hoops are way too large to handle embroidery
in my personal opinion. BRBR

You're right about that. Trying to hold them in one hand while you stitch is
an invitation to carpel tunnel syndrome. Same goes for scroll bars and the
larger sizes of Q-snaps and stretcher bars. All of these need to be supported
by a floor or table stand, never a hand.

Stitches such as chain and stem (for instance) are easier
to handle without hoops or frames, because you can't do them when fabric
is drum type. BRBR

Actually, the fastest, most professional way to work chain stitch *is* drum
tight in a tambor frame -- with a special tambor needle, which looks like a
crochet hook. "Tambor stitch" is a synonym for chain stitch.
With a conventional needle, chain can be worked hooped or not, though I do find
it goes faster, and it is easier to achieve even stitches doing it without a
hoop via the sewing method.

Annie

Old December 17th 03, 08:32 PM
Ellice

On 12/17/03 12:50 PM,"Barbara Hass" posted:

John Quinn wrote:
I like Q-Snaps, they come in a variety of sizes, so it should be
possible to get one just the size you need. I would suggest at least

Could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that Q-snap pieces can be combined
to make larger frames. Obviously the "snap" parts would still be
separate so you might have 2+ to a side, but you can still combine sets
to get a larger frame.

Definitely - I'm always swapping mine around - the 11" with the 8" . You can
also get a 3" extender set, IIRC, and 17" legs.

But for canvas work I definitely DO NOT use the Q-snaps. I use stretcher
bars, with tacks to hold the canvas in place, taut. With canvas, if it's not
on a frame, it easily gets distorted. Occasionally I use a Japanese lacing
technique - tacks on 2 sides, lacing on the other two.

For fabric, the Q-snaps are great, or I do at times stitch in hand.

Have fun with your stitching.
ellice

Old December 17th 03, 09:24 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

FKBABB wrote:
Actually, the fastest, most professional way to work chain stitch *is* drum
tight in a tambor frame -- with a special tambor needle, which looks like a
crochet hook. "Tambor stitch" is a synonym for chain stitch.
With a conventional needle, chain can be worked hooped or not, though I do find
it goes faster, and it is easier to achieve even stitches doing it without a
hoop via the sewing method.

While I have done a "teeny" bit of actual tambour embroidery, it is, in
my opinion, not correct to say that you can't do it with a
needle/thread. HOWEVER, to do the latter way is more tedious than
tambour work. What most people do is not use the same hole - and that
creates messy chain stitches. :-) I do chain stitch by hand, and if I
need to rip, I only need to pull at the end of the row and it all comes
out, just like in tambour work (or a machine chain).

Also, to do it by hand requires counting ground threads for evenness.
That's possible. You get used to it. Even in tambour embroidery, even
stitches aren't always the "result". It takes practise. :-)

Yes, tambour work is lovely because the result is teeny chain stitches.
But it can be done, also, by conventional needle, on fine grounds, at
16 to 20 stitches per inch, if you use the same hole.

Dianne

Old December 17th 03, 10:53 PM
tennhick

Dianne Lewandowski said
Actually, 14-inch quilter's hoops are way too large to handle embroidery
in my personal opinion. Your hand gets too tired. It's unwieldy.
Harder to pull up to your nose when your eyes get tired, or there's
details you need to see - especially with tiny stitches.

so far, I haven't attempted tiny stitches

good stuff snipped but definitely appreciated and saved

http://home.att.net/~tnnyakker/

the lack of digital quality of these images mirror [somewhat] the primitive,
somewhat sloppy nature of the 'masterpieces' sigh

I'm gonna sit on my hands for the next few weeks ... which will probably make
eating, reading and other functions difficult to perform
Old December 17th 03, 10:55 PM
Olwynmary

Actually, 14-inch quilter's hoops are way too large to handle embroidery in
my personal opinion.

I wouldn't dream of using a hoop that size in my hand. They go in the handy
dandy floor stand that Santa Claus was kind enough to bring me a few years ago.
(What's more, it came unfinished and he was kind enough to stain and varnish it
for me, so it looks more like a piece of furniture and less like something that
should be in a workshop)

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old December 18th 03, 12:27 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Thanks for that link. I think what you're doing is wonderful and
creative. Keep at it. Don't sit on those hands! grin
Dianne

Old December 18th 03, 12:30 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Actually, several years ago I wanted to do some experimental/exploring
stuff and framed up (stapled) a piece of linen/cotton on what I think
you gals call stretcher frames. It's big. Probably 16" square. I hate
working with it . . . and it was funny to see me contorting when I
wanted to try something. I lack a floor stand. I love my tambour hoop.
Dianne

Old December 19th 03, 03:05 AM
Rachel Janzen

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

And finally, keep posting, keep asking, keep doing, keep making
decisions based on your own comfort level. It all comes in time. Forget
the mistakes. Learn and move on. :-)

Dianne

Actually to pick a nit - don't forget your mistakes. Learn from them and
try not to repeat them. That's just frustrating! :-)

(sorry, the week before Christmas, I'm happy or giddy and that brings
the sarcastic out)